Tipping?

phabric

I have heard that you don't tip in most places in England. Can anybody tell me when and where you usually tip ie restaurants, pubs.

What would the tip be for a car service from hotel (Victoria area) to Heathrow. They are charging us 28 GBP for 2.

In most restaurants, a service charge of around 12.5% is usually added to your bill. This is essentially your "tip" and completely normal. Any extra you would leave would be indicative of above average/excellent service. That said, if you receive poor service you can ask to have the service charge removed, but be prepared for a discussion with the manager on this point.

For cabs, round up to the nearest pound or add a pound and then round if they've been really helpful.

The tipping etiquette for bar vs. pub staff is very different. For bar staff, tip as you are accustomed in the states. Pubs have their own cultural rules entirely - this website has a really good run down on how that works: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A3176219

If you're really curious about English culture in general, the book Watching the English is fabulous.

we dont usually tip in pubs when buying drinks .

Over here staff have to be paid a minimum wage so they are better paid than ones who do bar work in the States, or so I am told.

Often what happens is after a few rounds of drinks or if you are a regular people might say to the barperson ...Have one for yourself and they will then either have a drink with your money or put the amount for the drink aside to have later!

Nobody is going to come running after you if you don't tip at all in the UK, there is not a tipping culture in the UK

In Central London some people like tour guides have come to expect tips from North Americans, but would be pleasantly surprised if someone from Japan say gave then a tip.

In short, most locals will not tip barmen or house maids in hotels. For restaurants and food you don't really need to consider a tip unless you get personal service in a place with tablecloths and a waiter providing personal service, though again in tourist areas especially for Americans, expectations may be higher. A few restaurants will include a gratuity in the bill, especially if there is a group but this should be made clear.

You only should consider a tip if you are receiving a personalised service like a tour guide AND the service you receive is good. If you receive exceptional service from anyone then a tip is fine.

A 10% tip is thought generous.

Handfordr is I think, misleading when he says it isn't customary to tip the maids in hotels in the UK. In my experience it is definitely customary, say £1 per night. I would also dispute the earlier comment on taxis. It is actually the norm to tip taxi drivers 10% of the fare.

Handfordr is I think, misleading when he says it isn't customary to tip the maids in hotels in the UK. In my experience it is definitely customary, say £1 per night. I would also dispute the earlier comment on taxis. It is actually the norm to tip taxi drivers 10% of the fare.

Just shows you, its never enterered my mind that you would ever tip a maid in an English hotel or do anything other than round up a cabbies fare.

Reversing the question slightly. Is it just me or is there an upward trend in the US for tipping. I may be getting old and my memory fading, but I'm sure when I first went to the US, tipping for say restaurants was 10-15% and you received quite good service with an eager to please attitude.

Now seems to be 15-20% with grudging 'service' with no sign that tipping spurs any quality of service. Seems pointless now, might as well just raise the minimum wage to UK levels, improve quality of managers and forget tipping in the US.

I too would say it's not customary to tip house maids in hotels, not that they don't deserve to be tipped of course but simply that English people in England don't do it.

Barmen - No! If you go to the bar to order drinks or food, and you are expected to pay for it at the bar, then no tip, unless of course you were were given exceptional service.

Lastly, always check the bill (tab) closely, if a service charge of 10% or more has been added, then the tip has been settled, no need to add more unless you really feel that you want to. Don't be afraid to leave no tip at all if the service was below par and lastly, if the charge has already been added, ask for it to be removed if you feel that the service didn't justify it.

Well, I've been going on holiday now for over 50 years and we have ALWAYS left a tip for the chambermaid. Not for one night in a Travelodge though! I am talking about several nights in a good quality hotel. This also applies to holidays in Spain, Italy ,etc. But if you come from a family which always holidayed in a caravan say, you would not have the experience to know this.

However I don't want our American friends on here to be misled. They should check their guidebooks which always advise on these matters. Then they don't have to take the word of one or two people on here.

Personally I've never stayed in a caravan either but certainly wouldn't suggest that people that do are any less likely to leave a tip.

I along with most other that visit this website have stayed in countless quality hotels for both work and pleasure and will say again... It is purely at your own discretion and certainly not customary to leave a tip for the housemaids when staying in expensive hotels in England.

Well, I've been going on holiday now for over 50 years and we have ALWAYS left a tip for the chambermaid. Not for one night in a Travelodge though! I am talking about several nights in a good quality hotel. This also applies to holidays in Spain, Italy ,etc. But if you come from a family which always holidayed in a caravan say, you would not have the experience to know this.

However I don't want our American friends on here to be misled. They should check their guidebooks which always advise on these matters. Then they don't have to take the word of one or two people on here.

WE were great caravaners in our early days with young children and are now avid cruisers so I find your remark about not having the experience rather offensive!

And i have never left a tip for the room cleaner in any of our hotels,that is their job and they are paid for it.

the whole tipping/no tipping culture is so interesting.

I tried to convince my dh that we did not need to tip as much when we were in London (we're from NY), but he tipped the way he normally does in the US and I have to say, everyone was just jumping through hoops for us at our hotel.

Probably the person who got the least was the maid, though. We are a family who used to go camping (I think that's what you mean by caravan) and we stay in hotels from Travel Lodge, Holiday Inn, Hiltons, on up and what we typically leave the maid is dh's pocket change and a few singles, (maybe $5 for 2 nights, for good service - maybe more for excellent) not the $3pp/pd that is recommended on a cruise ship.

the whole tipping/no tipping culture is so interesting.

I tried to convince my dh that we did not need to tip as much when we were in London (we're from NY), but he tipped the way he normally does in the US and I have to say, everyone was just jumping through hoops for us at our hotel.

Probably the person who got the least was the maid, though. We are a family who used to go camping (I think that's what you mean by caravan) and we stay in hotels from Travel Lodge, Holiday Inn, Hiltons, on up and what we typically leave the maid is dh's pocket change and a few singles, (maybe $5 for 2 nights, for good service - maybe more for excellent) not the $3pp/pd that is recommended on a cruise ship.

over here in Europe and England a Caravan is not camping, just ask a motorist who gets behind one on a single lane road.

They are like a trailer but usually have 2 wheels and are towed by another vehicle.

They can be a folding type to sleep 2 or huge ones as big as a truck.

Just asked around the office and nobody admits to tipping cleaners, housemaids or whatever they're called nowadays in England.

The sales team have a conference at a Marriott near Heathrow next week. They reckon they are going to try and claim tips for room cleaning on their expenses. like they do when travelling in the US. The boss was not amused!

we dont usually tip in pubs when buying drinks .

Over here staff have to be paid a minimum wage so they are better paid than ones who do bar work in the States, or so I am told.

Often what happens is after a few rounds of drinks or if you are a regular people might say to the barperson ...Have one for yourself and they will then either have a drink with your money or put the amount for the drink aside to have later!

We always tip in pubs, usually about 50p but not each time you order, about twice should be ok.Don't say have one yourself, if you are a tourist they will probly take you at your word and take a double short.:eek: (I have been a barmaid and seen it happen' mainly to ammerican and canadien visitors. I tip the chambermaid about £2 if we are only stayng one or two nights. £5 for a week. As stated you will not find anybody running after you with rage if you don't tip enough.

Don't worry about it to much, nobody will hate you if you don't tip, except for the taxis of course. 10%for them is usually ok:D

In most European countries a service charge is added to the tax on the hotel bill - hence no need to tip the chambermaid. In England many restaurants - as noted - add this - but many don't. So you need to read the small print on the menu and then, if no service charge is mentioned, add 10%.

In France and Switzerland service at 15% is already included in the cost of each dish so there is no need to add anything unless you are particularly pleased with the service - in which case a Euro or a couple of Francs would be nice. In Italy service is also included but at a lower rate. So there it is good to add perhaps 5% or so. But not required.

Taxis - just round up the fare.

How rude!

To the OP, no one will expect a tip from you.

• 2 weeks later...
I would also dispute the earlier comment on taxis. It is actually the norm to tip taxi drivers 10% of the fare.
Don't worry about it to much, nobody will hate you if you don't tip, except for the taxis of course. 10%for them is usually ok
London taxi drivers' tip expectations are now very low. Many people now don't seem to tip at all. Rounding up, say, £8.60 to £9.00 seems absolutely fine. Rounding up £9.40 to £10 to avoid getting any shrapnel back, as I did yesterday, got an effusive thanks. Sometimes, when tipping 10% I have been fearful that the driver would get out and lick my shoes. This is, I think, fallout from the rather higher fares that are now being charged compared to about 5 years ago and the current economic circumstances which mean that cabbies are grateful for any work.

By law,all receive a living wage

Your driver about 10%, but no more than £10.

Restaurants - if a service charge is added to the menu prices, add nothing. Sounds mean, but this sort of add-on is alien to us. Some add service and "invite" you to add whatever you want - that's appalling, asking you to tip twice, tell 'em so. If "service included" perhaps a fiver if you wish,for very good service. If tipping is discretionary, mebbe £5 for decent service, £10 for excellent, zilch for bad service. I'm assuming a bill of about £40 to £100 for two people.

The link quoted by LHT 28 helps you to understand our different tipping culture.

One word of warning when tipping using your credit cards. The tips do not always go to the staff, they will often be added to the company's takings. So It is always best to tip in cash. ( I would not say that everyone does this, some companies will actually advertise that any tips will go directly to the staff. )

By law,all receive a living wage

Your driver about 10%, but no more than £10.

Restaurants - if a service charge is added to the menu prices, add nothing. Sounds mean, but this sort of add-on is alien to us. Some add service and "invite" you to add whatever you want - that's appalling, asking you to tip twice, tell 'em so. If "service included" perhaps a fiver if you wish,for very good service. If tipping is discretionary, mebbe £5 for decent service, £10 for excellent, zilch for bad service. I'm assuming a bill of about £40 to £100 for two people.

The link quoted by LHT 28 helps you to understand our different tipping culture.

Thanks. That answers my questions!

Randy

Don't be affraid to leave no tip at all unless the service you recevied was generally excellent as it's not really expected. Tipping bar tenders is not normal. Personally I have never left a tip at a hotel.

As others have said if a service charge has been added to your bill it is not normal to tip over the amount.

Taxi drivers I normally just do the rounding up thing, but again it's not a problem if you only pay what is demanded.

Archived