We did an 18 night cruise with a lot of "heavy-duty" touring, so we decided to make Cannes a "rest stop". We strolled the old town to the top of the hill, saw a beautiful church and a little park with gorgeous views of the coast line. We then strolled back down, through the shopping areas, and stopped for wine and olives on the patio of the Charlton Hotel (listed in "1,000 Places to See Before You Die", and watched the "beautiful" people pass by. A very enjoyable, relaxing, and memorable day.

Cannes is a beautiful Riveria town where you can make a very pleasant day just strolling the streets. Walk along the beach promenade, nice shopping in the town, great little cafes, and for the adventurous you can walk up the hill for nice views.

As an alternative, I highly recommend a visit to either St. Paul de Vence or Eze. Both are medieval walled villages up in the mountain that also make a pleasant visit. Both are relatively small, picturesque villages with good eating and shopping opportunities.

We did the full tour thing with Monaco, Monte Carlo, Eze, etc. we enjoyed seeing all of it, but our favorite stop was Eze. You should be able to get a taxi or private guide roundtrip here for a very reasonable rate. Like mentioned above, it's a small, walled mideival city with quaint shops and eateries. It's perfect for a light and leisurely day of strolling. The views are amazing and the hospitality of the people is fantastic. You can't go wrong visiting here...it was, in our opinion, perfect!

When I see posters ask "what can I do" it is hard to give advice. To be honest, I do not even understand what that means. What can you do? You can walk through the streets, you can enjoy a nice long lunch at a well-located cafe, you can sample regional wines, you can ride on a train to another town and do the same thing, I guess you could even go bowling! My point is, what do you expect out of a Med cruise? Do you want a charming walled city full of excellent art galleries? Try St Paul de Vence! Do you want a sandy beach? There is one near the tender pier in Cannes? My point is that Cannes is on the very famous French Riviera where an awful lot of folks go for their vacations (many of them quite wealthy) and they seem quite content. So again, my question to the OP is what are you looking for on this cruise? Answer that and perhaps we can help.

Hank

I would enjoy what the Teacherman said. I was wondering is the Town close to walk? just have a nice day strolling along. If I was going to do an intense activity I would go for longer. We have been to other towns but this is our first time in dock in Cannes. Thanks everyone for your replies.

If you can get to Eze you will love it! We did the full "colors of the French Rivera" which took us just about everywhere, the flower market, Monaco, Cannes, but the most memorable was Eze, it was like walking back in time, the views are breathtaking!

You actually tender right into town. From the tender pier, its just a short walk through the parking lot and you are in town. Getting to Eze is a different issue since that is located more than 45 min away between Nice and Monte Carlo. To get there from Cannes you need to take the train (in the direction of Nice and Monte Carlo) and get off at the stop called Eze/Bord sur Mer (its a few minutes after Nice). From that stop you than need to either take the local bus (the stop in right in front of the tiny station) or call a taxi (there is a cafe across the road where you can have a drink and call the cab).

Hank

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone thought about taking a ferry to one of the islands in the bay? I lived in Cannes years ago and would go to the smaller island where there is an 11th century castle ruin. I would pack a picnic lunch and climb to the flat roof "deck" and sit in the sun, listen to the small waves lapping below and eat my lunch. The only inhabitants of this island are monks at the local monestary. A nice, quite, beautiful excursion. I was an Au Pair while there, and only had from 11:00 - 4:00 free every day, and would manage to get to the port on my moped, take the ferry to the island, spend some time, catch the ferry back, and moped back to the maison in those 5 hours.

Whenever I find myself in a stressful moment now, I close my eyes and pretend I am there again! :rolleyes:

We did an 18 night cruise with a lot of "heavy-duty" touring, so we decided to make Cannes a "rest stop". We strolled the old town to the top of the hill, saw a beautiful church and a little park with gorgeous views of the coast line. We then strolled back down, through the shopping areas, and stopped for wine and olives on the patio of the Charlton Hotel (listed in "1,000 Places to See Before You Die", and watched the "beautiful" people pass by. A very enjoyable, relaxing, and memorable day.

This is EXACTLY what I had in mind! THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived