Bringing wine onboard!

DJChick

Being new to Oceania, we would like to know anyone's experience or Oceania's policy about bringing wine onboard that was purchased at ports of call while on the cruise. Our itinerary visits many ports in France and we were hoping to purchase some of these fines wines and relax on our balcony with a great glass of wine after a day of touring. Any thoughts on this??

A. Enjoy your wine to the fullest.

B. Do not give out your cabin number - this is most important.

C. :)

D. Oceania is a great cruise line for many reasons. This being one of them.

Being new to Oceania, we would like to know anyone's experience or Oceania's policy about bringing wine onboard that was purchased at ports of call while on the cruise. Our itinerary visits many ports in France and we were hoping to purchase some of these fines wines and relax on our balcony with a great glass of wine after a day of touring. Any thoughts on this??

There have been many posts and cruise reviews here where Oceania passengers report having purchased wine at ports and taken it on board. The same apparently applies to all types of alcohol. It may be purchases on shore and brought freely on board. The policy of Oceania is that alcohol drinks may be brought on board for ones own enjoyment in the cabin. In addition ones own wine may be brought to the dinning room where there is a $20 corkage charge.

This all seems a good deal to me. Have a great cruise.

Just returned from a 12 day sailing on the Regatta. Brought six assorted bottles on at embarkation (Miami) and bought additional goodies at just about every port.

This was our 5th O sailing and never, ever had a problem bringing libations on board.

No problem there, we started off in Rome and brought 6 bottles on board with us.Just pay the corkage if you want to have it in the dining room. We brought another dozen bottles when we stopped in Messina, had some in the cabin and some in the dining room.

Great cruise line and not much into money grabbing. No mugging for photos in the dining room and when you leave the ship at a port.

even paid only $20 corkage for our recent New Year's Eve jerabom of Chilean Malbec

Was it a small Jeroboam (4 bottles worth) or a big Jeroboam (6 bottles worth)?

If it was a big one, did you have it decanted? Did they have that big a decanter in the GDR?

Nice choice, btw, if you got the '02 or the '04, the Wine Spectator gave them 90 points, and the price is right (at least in the USA).

"Nice choice, btw, if you got the '02 or the '04, the Wine Spectator gave them 90 points, and the price is right (at least in the USA)."

How would you know, StanandJim? We were only told the nationality and the grape of the wine. And btw, Patty, how was it? I've never had a Chilean Malbec, this grape is much more common in Argentine's wines

Paulista: DH and I are sailing from Rio on the Insignia next week headed for Barcelona and we want to pick up some wine to bring aboard. We are flying from Toronto to Sao Paola and have some time in the airport before going on to Rio. When we deplane, is there a dutyfree shop before heading through customs or is there one after customs? We will be in Rio for 3 days and should have some time to get it there if not available at duty free in airports. We are from Quebec and drink a lot of Argentinian wines. Are they a reasonable price in Brazil +/- 15 r's? Thanks for your input and looking forward to our first visit to your country.

There is a dutyfree shop before heading through customs. Their site is:

http://www.dutyfreedufry.com.br/

You mean 15 reais? Well, you'll find some, but they won't be not near good From 20 to 30 there are some very reasonable ones. Btw, how much do they cost in Canada?

Welcome t Brasil

Thanks for the information. We can get a reasonably good Argentinian wine - shiraz or merlot - for under 10$ Canadian. When Jim bought the reais the exchange was .6o C$ for 1 reais. I guess we will go to the dutyfree.

Diana

......... will be in Rio for 3 days and should have some time to get it there if not available at duty free in airports. .......................forward to our first visit to your country.

I went to Ipanema supermarket and lots of wine avaialble. That's a large chain , name is something like " Zone Sud "

no problem....we bought wine and vodka ,no questions asked that was Aug./2008 Rome to Athens

I've never brought wine aboard in my life. But I just checked out the wine list (my first Oceania) and YIKES...about 300% for what I pay on other lines. Same vintage. Specifically, Mumms Napa (a good, dry, inexpensive sparkling). I've never seen it for over $28 and it's $44 on Nautica.

Problem is, I'm flying to Europe and don't think I want to pack sparkling wine. Guess I'll just pay Dom prices for Mumms?:confused:

• 2 weeks later...
I've never brought wine aboard in my life. But I just checked out the wine list (my first Oceania) and YIKES...about 300% for what I pay on other lines. Same vintage. Specifically, Mumms Napa (a good, dry, inexpensive sparkling). I've never seen it for over $28 and it's $44 on Nautica.

:confused:

Where can you find the wine list with prices? The $20 corkage fee is reasonable, but would like to compare the prices on Nautica. Thanks

Where can you find the wine list with prices? The $20 corkage fee is reasonable, but would like to compare the prices on Nautica. Thanks

They do not have any prices listed ( as it can change) but the wine List in on O website

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/T_MainContentPage.aspx?PageUID=735d0886-26d1-410f-86cc-17bad77c6bc9

They do have prices on the Bon Voyage gift page but they may not be the same prices as onboard purchases

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/T_MainContentPage.aspx?PageUID=525d44e5-2eba-48e9-a8bb-d0d260acfbca&Secure=True

"They do have prices on the Bon Voyage gift page but they may not be the same prices as onboard purchases"

If not, why not?:confused:

I was just saying I do not know if they are the same price just so I am not chastised later if they are more $$ :D

Lyn

P.S. if you hit the quote button in the bottom of the message you will not have to re-type the part you want quoted

From where ever one embarks, there is usually a place to buy what you need. If you fly in early, just ask the concierge what's available. And along the way, no problem. Just ask or go out and explore. In most ports O has a local tourist person on board, and the first thing I asked is "where can I purchase vino". Have yet to be denied.

• 3 weeks later...

We'll be flying into Barcelona a couple of days before the cruise this Fall. I am very interested in buying duty-free wine to take on board.

How would I do that? Can I purchase this at the airport upon arrival and take it with me to take on board later?

There are two sizes of Jeroboams: the sparkling wine Jeroboam holds 4 bottles, the still wine Jeroboam holds 6 regular bottles . So since the only ones sparkling at New Years were Patty's group as she mentioned it was a lovely Malbec.. woo hoo..nice party! ( 6 bottles)!!

Paulista: DH and I are sailing from Rio on the Insignia next week headed for Barcelona and we want to pick up some wine to bring aboard. We are flying from Toronto to Sao Paola and have some time in the airport before going on to Rio. When we deplane, is there a dutyfree shop before heading through customs or is there one after customs? We will be in Rio for 3 days and should have some time to get it there if not available at duty free in airports. We are from Quebec and drink a lot of Argentinian wines. Are they a reasonable price in Brazil +/- 15 r's? Thanks for your input and looking forward to our first visit to your country.

Wait until you get to Brazil..the wines are amazing and inexpensive!!

We'll be flying into Barcelona a couple of days before the cruise this Fall. I am very interested in buying duty-free wine to take on board.

How would I do that? Can I purchase this at the airport upon arrival and take it with me to take on board later?

When you get to barcelona you can go to El corto Ingles ( just ask anyone) it is a dept. store with a huge market downstairs with all the wines you could want..:p

any probably everything else.

Archived