Does it get cold at nights?

shekelly

I am sailing in April to the Western Caribbean and was wondering if shorts and and t-shirt would be safe if I wanted to hang outside at nights? or do I need to bring a jacket

I bring a few sweaters/light jackets that don't look too dorky with my sundresses/dinner clothes. I usually find I use them more for the air conditioning than out on the deck. I don't know if you've sailed before, but the decks can be very windy when the ship is underway. If you have long hair that is a good thing to know up front.

I am sailing in April to the Western Caribbean and was wondering if shorts and and t-shirt would be safe if I wanted to hang outside at nights? or do I need to bring a jacket

Since everyone has a different tolerance for changes in temperature ie some need a sweater in a certain temp and others will not here are some facts that may help you out.

The average temp for April in Dallas (where the OP lives) is 65 degrees F and it is located at 32 degrees north latitude and Nassau (the most northern stop on many western routes) is located at 25 degrees north , that is 10 degrees closer to the equator. The average temp in Nassau in April is 75 degrees F.

So if you do not need a jacket in Texas you won't need one being closer to the equator.

I'm always cold, so I bring a couple of light sweaters (white and black), and a hoodie.

It gets cold on the ship. they keep it pretty chilly.

It does get a little windy, on deck at night.

It's always good to be prepared.:p

I chill easily and have never been "cold" in the Caribbean. Yes, it can be windy on open decks, but I tend not to be there at night---it messes up my hair!

There ya go. I am ultra-warm-blooded, rarely cold---I'll happily wear a light jacket in the snow. But nighttime on the windy upper decks, outside, can get a bit cool, even in the Caribbean. There were a few times I wished for a light jacket at night.

And echoing some of the other posters, some of the common rooms are kept a little chilly, too.

Yes, you may want to pack a sweatshirt or light jacket. Last Feb. it did get windy on deck at night. DW complained of being chilly, I gave her my suit jacket and went to get another Mai Tai to keep me warm!!!!:D

I chill easily and have never been "cold" in the Caribbean. Yes, it can be windy on open decks, but I tend not to be there at night---it messes up my hair!

I know! I have long hair and my DH (otherwise a wonderful guy) keeps wandering in and out until I'm about ready to scream. I threatened to cut my hair before our next cruise if he didn't make up his mind LOL:D

I know! I have long hair and my DH (otherwise a wonderful guy) keeps wandering in and out until I'm about ready to scream. I threatened to cut my hair before our next cruise if he didn't make up his mind LOL:D

Note to myself: I have long hair as well and lip gloss would be annoying as heck on the decks I'm guessing, so should I be in and out I'll just stick to chapstick. Either that or throw it all back in a pony.

Note to myself: I have long hair as well and lip gloss would be annoying as heck on the decks I'm guessing, so should I be in and out I'll just stick to chapstick. Either that or throw it all back in a pony.

It occurs to me that maybe someone is reading this and thinking, "what the heck does lip gloss have to do with a windy deck?" So my apologies for being so assuming. For anyone who doesn't know (or I'm guessing even care for that matter), if you are wearing any sort of lip gloss, or even carmex for that matter, and your hair is down and the wind catches your hair, your hair will whip into the lip gloss on your lips and stick like a fly in fly paper. Should the hair become dislodged from your gloss, it will inevitably whip you on the cheek, so then you have a sticky spot on your cheek, and hair that looks less than clean.

So off topic. I'm so sorry.

It occurs to me that maybe someone is reading this and thinking, "what the heck does lip gloss have to do with a windy deck?" So my apologies for being so assuming. For anyone who doesn't know (or I'm guessing even care for that matter), if you are wearing any sort of lip gloss, or even carmex for that matter, and your hair is down and the wind catches your hair, your hair will whip into the lip gloss on your lips and stick like a fly in fly paper. Should the hair become dislodged from your gloss, it will inevitably whip you on the cheek, so then you have a sticky spot on your cheek, and hair that looks less than clean.

:D Thank you for the clarification. I did wonder about the reference to the lip gloss.

signed: Short-haired guy married to short-haired woman.

It would be better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

ok, I live in Ft Lauderdale and I've been out sitting at my son's lacrosse games recently. when the wind kicks up its down right COLD (for us south floridians anyways). I coulda sworn it was in the upper 50's last week, but when I turned on the car it was 68!! so, when the wind is blowin u can get cold so bring a light sweater or jacket. worse case is u don't wear it but at least your safe. otherwise, you'll end up spending $$'s in the onboard gift shop - but then again, you'll have some Carnival attire as a souvenir!!

I actually understood what you were saying! Except the chapstick part. Does hair not stick to chapstick?

I always buy a new warm up suit for my cruises. There is nothing more relaxing then after being in the sun all day, maybe alittle burned then putting on a warm fluffy warm up after a full meal in the dinning hall and sitting outside looking into the blackness or watching the shows.

I live in Illinois where I do not wear a coat a lot of the winter because I don't get that cold, but I do get cold on the ship at night. Have fun.... and enjoy.

Trust me when I say this that a Western carib cruise in April it will always be warmer outside at any time of the day then it will be inside the ship so pack sweatshirt/sweater/hoodie more so for indoors. You will find your self going outside to warm up as some rooms on ships are down right cold. I happen to love it, my wife hates it which is usually par for the course in most marriages. I just can't figure out why the cooling systems on these state of the art ships can't get their cooling balanced. I would love for the cabins to be as cold as some of the public rooms but they are usually just the opposite and never get cool enough...for me anyway. That's why a small fan is a must!

Archived