Pinnacle Dining?

freckledcat

DH and I will be cruising on the Ryndam this summer, our anniversary falls that week.

I am trying to plan some surprises for DH for the trip. I am going to have Champagne delivered, as well as chocolate strawberries on our anniversary. I am contemplating booking two nights at the Pinnacle, but is it worth it?

Is the food that much better? Atmosphere? I want the trip to be really special so any help is appreciated.

Also, does HA do anything special for anniversaries like a special cake or anything?

Personal opinion only, the Pinnacle Grill is a wonderful experience. We go there at least once every HAL cruise and have never gone away dissatisfied or hungry.

Can't speak specifically about the anniversary cake, but my wife did receive a birthday cake both in the Pinnacle Grill and also in our stateroom. I had contacted guest services about the cake in our stateroom. The cake at the Pinnacle Grill was a surprise to us both.

HAL did a nice small (about 6-7" diameter) chocolate cake for our anniversary 2 years ago. They wrapped up the leftovers in a foil origami swan for us to take back to the cabin. The travel agent had notified them in advance that we were celebrating.:)

Why not book the Pinnacle once and see if you like it enough to go again? I don't believe it's booked solidly every night.

Haven't eaten in the Pinnacle but we did have a small chocolate cake at dinner one night and our waiters sang to us in Indonesian. Very nice. Also, it was our 10th anniversary and I ordered a dozen red roses to be in our cabin on embarkation for my husband. When we got to the cabin they were there and they were beautiful. They lasted almost the entire 10 days. My husband still has the vase.

We celebrated our 40th anniversary in Pinnacle last summer because IMHO the food is excellent, the wait staff is ever present to serve and the atmosphere can be somewhat romantic if you talk with the maitre d' and get a table that fits your wants/needs.

harry

Here is a photo of the Rose bouquet that was waiting for my wife in our stateroom at the beginning of our Oosterdam Mexican Riviera cruise on February 14th. It added just that something special to our stateroom and lasted the entire cruise.

DSC_6958.jpg

I know I took a photo of the birthday cake but for the life of me I can not find it.

Both my husband and I enjoy the Pinnacle very much and usually dine there a few times each time we cruise on the Noordam, our favorite ship. On our last cruise, I ordered a birthday cake for him, and it was very good. Rather like a French chocolate cake with French butter cream frosting. What we most enjoy about the Pinnacle is the quieter atmosphere and the attentive service from the wonderful staff. It is also very nice to schedule dinner there at a window table at a late sail-a-way, which we have done several times. Fun to watch the departure and scenery at the beginning of dinner. Hope you enjoy your special dinner if you choose to try the Pinnacle Grill. The steaks are excellent, by the way.

Both my husband and I enjoy the Pinnacle very much and usually dine there a few times each time we cruise on the Noordam, our favorite ship. On our last cruise, I ordered a birthday cake for him, and it was very good. Rather like a French chocolate cake with French butter cream frosting. What we most enjoy about the Pinnacle is the quieter atmosphere and the attentive service from the wonderful staff. It is also very nice to schedule dinner there at a window table at a late sail-a-way, which we have done several times. Fun to watch the departure and scenery at the beginning of dinner. Hope you enjoy your special dinner if you choose to try the Pinnacle Grill. The steaks are excellent, by the way.

Where do you order a special cake? The one we recieved was a generic cake and I would like to order a special one for our anniversary. :)

We went to the Pinnacle to celebrate my birthday and the experience was well-worth the cost. Food was definitely a step up and the presentation and service were impeccable. When it was time to order, the waiter brought a selection tray so you could see the cut of meat you were ordering - ther were several types of steak including filet mignon and porterhouse, a lamb choice, and I believe a pork choice. Hter were fish and cheichken selections too. I had the filet and it was perfectly cooked to order. What really impressed me was the wonderful appetizers and side dishes. Lots of places do a good entree, but getting the side dishes perfect takes real attention.

They brought a small chocolate mousse cake (More than enough for the 4 at our table). It was delicious and well-presented. This was in addition to the dessert we had ordered (most of us had the souffle and I highly recommend it).

I definitely felt pampered - a reall treat.

Where do you order a special cake? The one we recieved was a generic cake and I would like to order a special one for our anniversary. :)

As I recall, I requested the cake through the concierge in the Neptune Lounge. I am sure it could also be ordered through the staff at the reservation desk at the Pinnacle Grill.

I'm not much of a meat eater but the steaks in the Pinnacle are fantastic; I think my husband could eat only half of his and he kept trying to give me bites.............said it was the BEST............I had delicious halibut.

I'd eat in the P just for the creme brulee for dessert............special plates to hold three flavors............SO, SO good.

Sometimes we've found the staff in the P feels pretty "superior".....and they aren't near as good as our regular dining room staff........but, that changes ship to ship.

Try it at least once; it's good food and worth the extra money, for sure.

I'm not much of a meat eater but the steaks in the Pinnacle are fantastic; I think my husband could eat only half of his and he kept trying to give me bites.............said it was the BEST............I had delicious halibut.

I'd eat in the P just for the creme brulee for dessert............special plates to hold three flavors............SO, SO good.

Sometimes we've found the staff in the P feels pretty "superior".....and they aren't near as good as our regular dining room staff........but, that changes ship to ship.

Try it at least once; it's good food and worth the extra money, for sure.

This is exactly our experience.

I have a different opinion abount Pinnacle Grill.

We went there for mom's birthday during 20 days South America cruise on board Amsterdam this year.

First of all I have booked the specific table (Mom wanted it) 10 days in advanceand I was promised it. When we came to the restaurant the table was not available. We have ordered lobster , and we can compare it to the lobster in main (La fountain) dining room. First of all in Pinnacle grill it was just one, in La Fountain they were 2 on the plate.

In Pinncale Grill nobody assisted us with the shelf comparing Main dining room - where we had the assistance.

The service was much better in la Fountain.

Even the cutlery is much better in La Fountain comparing to Pinnacle Grill on Amsterdam.

Also we found out that guests do not visit Pinnacle Grill on Amsterdam.

1/3 of PG was usualy occupied by ship staff (not the officers), and more than 1/3 were empty.

Probably it only applies to Amsterdam, but this is our experience.

It is much better to save your money, and believe me, waiters at La Fountain dining room will make feel Special at your Special day.

Regarding the cake. We got at after the dinner and it was fantastic!

We are first time on a cruise. Is it necessary to book the P in advance of boarding or can you book it once o/b. The question would be will we get shut out. Also, how do you know for planning purposes what night is the formal night etc?? Thanks.

What does the $20.00 cover. Is the tip extra or included in the $20.00? We usually tip based on the quality of service.

Thanks.

There has been pretty in depth discussion on this question. We were told, when we pre-purchased our reservation" that it did include tip as well as the food experience. We do leave something extra when we have a very good experience. Many do not leave any extra. Just do as you feel you would want to do.

We are first time on a cruise. Is it necessary to book the P in advance of boarding or can you book it once o/b. The question would be will we get shut out. Also, how do you know for planning purposes what night is the formal night etc?? Thanks.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

We usually book by calling Ship Services at 1-800-541-1576 -- there have been a couple of times when we could not get the night we wanted as it was already completely booked up.

If you list your cruise ship and date -- there are lots of people here who can tell which nights will be formal.

As a rule of thumb -- formal nights on most cruises are on sea days.

Archived