best place for beach in Mex Riv?

mikayla73

We are taking our cruise in Sept, going to Cabo, Maz, and PV. We are really beach people and love swimming in the ocean, but I also want to see the places we are going.

We like a sandy beach with calm blue water for swimming. I am not expecting it to be like the Caribbean beaches we have been to, but I don't want to have to fight waves and navigate through rocks to get in the water either.

Obviously even the best beach would be crappy if the weather doesn't cooperate, but in general if you wanted to spend a day relaxing at the beach, which beaches at each of the three ports would be your pick?

Of those, which one would be the top pick?

TIA for your help!

We are taking our cruise in Sept, going to Cabo, Maz, and PV. We are really beach people and love swimming in the ocean, but I also want to see the places we are going.

We like a sandy beach with calm blue water for swimming. I am not expecting it to be like the Caribbean beaches we have been to, but I don't want to have to fight waves and navigate through rocks to get in the water either.

Obviously even the best beach would be crappy if the weather doesn't cooperate, but in general if you wanted to spend a day relaxing at the beach, which beaches at each of the three ports would be your pick?

Of those, which one would be the top pick?

TIA for your help!

Mazatlan or PVR are your best choices. There's a lot of really beautiful beaches around Cabo, but the swimming around Cabo is VERY limited because of the strong currents/undertow.

Medano beach in Cabo is a very swimmable beach and the main beach in that port. It is a short water or regular taxi ride from the tender dock. It is lined with restaurants, bars, resorts and water activity booths and really is the only beach to go to in Cabo that has ammenities of any kind.

The sand is very course like most of the beaches in Mexico so you may want to bring some water socks to wear in the water.

Have fun!:)

Mazatlan or PVR are your best choices. There's a lot of really beautiful beaches around Cabo, but the swimming around Cabo is VERY limited because of the strong currents/undertow.

Which beaches in Mazatlan and PV?

Medano beach in Cabo is a very swimmable beach and the main beach in that port. It is a short water or regular taxi ride from the tender dock. It is lined with restaurants, bars, resorts and water activity booths and really is the only beach to go to in Cabo that has ammenities of any kind.

The sand is very course like most of the beaches in Mexico so you may want to bring some water socks to wear in the water.

Have fun!:)

Thanks and it's close to where the tenders dock, which is always good.

Any one else with info?

I disagree. IMHO, the best beaches for nice sand and "blue" water are Cabo. Swimming isn't great any any of these locations.

I second this! The water in the sea of Cortez is just beautiful and very clean, as is the Medano beach itself.

Other beaches in Cabo are dangerous. And whatever you do, do not swim in the Pacific ocean! We went to Lover's beach where you can walk across the point from the Sea of Cortez to the Pacific ocean. You can really see the difference in the water turbulance. While we were there, we saw a man who had tried to swim on the Pacific side get carried off to a water ambulance strapped on an immobilization board--he was paralyzed! :eek: We found out from his sobbing daughter that they were passengers on our ship, and inquired about him (by name) when we got back to it. The ship's crew had nothing to say. They wouldn't even confirm that he was a passenger!

Back to the beach reviews. I liked the beach at Maz, too. It's just different from Cabo. It's very nice for walking: wide, long, flat and much easier on the feet (Medano sand is coarse). The water there is not as appealing--sort of brownish green, but definitely swimmable. Lots of activities: parasailing, jet skis, vendors, etc., but also lots of quiet space.

The PV beach (downtown) reminds me of the Mazatlan beach. It's not as flat nor as long, so there are not as many activities there. The town is charming, however, plus you have the nice green, jungly hills around you.

I can't wait to go back!

I don't agree that most beaches in Mexico have coarse sand. Cabo had the coarsest sand I have walked on in Mexico. The sand at Mazatlan, however was easy to walk on. It's not the soft, white sand of Cancun or Playa del Carmen, but pretty nice.

Nor do I think that you need beach shoes or socks for Medano beach. Maybe you do if you want to take a long walk there, but it will still be tough to do that because of the slope of the beach. If all you want to do is sit at a beach club and go swimming, then no. I didn't see anyone wearing them.

When you say "relax at the beach" and "see the sights", that's tough, as there are lot's of vendors selling to break your relaxing.

Here we go

Cabo

lovers Beach (small beach at rear of pic)

IMG_7230.jpg

Medano Beach Cabo

IMG_1096.jpg

Cabo - many 5 star resort beaches

IMG_1400.jpg

IMG_7537.jpg

IMG_1418.jpg

BobnSofi...now that you've been to the Grand Mayan Palace, did you prefer it over the Westin or Paradise Village? Right now we're leaning towards Paradise Village. Thanks!

yep, the grand Mayan palace was unbelievable!

The entry foyer is like nothing we have ever experienced! I would tell you, but I don't want to wreck the surprise. Kind of a Disney world deal. The resort was extremely nice and controlled with wrist bands. They have 2 wave pools, an inner tube floating river, message area, many pools with built in lounge chairs. Overall, the best resort in pv, bar far. It is not far away from the Paradise, stop by and have a look around. Be persistent with the gate guard and you will get a visitors wrist band. I had to leave my drivers license hostage with him; but it was worth it!

IMG_9511.jpg

IMG_9652.jpg

IMG_9520.jpg

IMG_9640.jpg

IMG_9585.jpg

IMG_9531.jpg

BobnSofi...thanks for posting the great photos. Do you happen to know how much a day pass is at the Grand Mayan? Also approximately how long is the cab ride from the pier to this area of PV? We're going to go to one of the hotels as soon as we get off the ship, however we have to be back to the ship for an excursion by 3PM. This will be our first trip to the Mexican Riviera and we can't wait!

I have to say that the beaches in the Golden Zone of Mazatlan were my favorite. Very calm, very clean and very warm waters. And not that many vendors. PV was nice, but it depends on where you are. The main beach in Cabo is nice, as are the beaches on the Sea of Cortez. If you make it to San Jose Del Cabo, the beaches there are spectacular.

bermudiana We did not ask about Grand Mayan day use. We felt privileged to get in, and we felt fortunate that the parking attendants allowed us to leave our rented golf cart in the arrival area while we checked out the resort. It is a "must visit" for resort lovers. The entry foyer' is like nothing that you will ever see. If you should figure it out, don't tell your loved ones before you visit, so they will have the shock of the foyer' experience. I'm sure someone here will contact the Grand Mayan thru the link below and report back here about "day use".

Grand Mayan Link ==> http://www.wyndham.com/hotels/PVRGM/main.wnt

Here is a pic from a room in the grand mayan (we did not take this pic).

GrandMayanPalace2.jpg

mikayla73. the resort below is the Hotel Finesterra in Cabo. The views are fantastic. We used to see the cab drivers bringing in cruiser folks to see the views, but now we don't, so my guess is that the hotel likes privacy. Hardly any cruisers see these great views and it is so close to the tender pier. If you walk in, take the driveway to the left after the guard gate, as you can ride the elevator up from the newer area of the resort, and avoid the steep driveway hike up the hill to the right after the guard gate. As always, be kind and smile, be respectful, talk slow and softly, and be persistent with any and all mexico resort access guards. Using the words "time share" often do the trick to gain access.

finesterrapool.jpg

IMG_1748.jpg

Cabo5.jpg

bobnsofi - Please tell me how to access the malecon and golden zone beaches in Maz. I know the El Cid Resort lets cruisers use it's facilities if you buy food and drink. Do all the golden zone hotels do this? We have toured Maz, seen the cliff divers and cathedral. This time we just want to go to a beach, and not to Stone Island. I don't think I would like having to walk from the water taxi to the beaches there, having a bit of a hitch in my hip. Sounds like you are very knowledgable about beaches!

39august

We have been able to access most all Mazatlan Hotel resorts as they are mostly average quality and older, and are eager to welcome guests

the easiest "hitch in the hip" way to enjoy beach would be to take a taxi from right inside the cruise terminal to the El Cid beach hotel. They are all set up for day use and there is that picturesque Deer Island to also look at. I would just borrow and bring a few cruise line pool towels in a beach bag and pick a place to sit at El CId, and immediately order a cool drink of your choice from the first waiter you see to establish your eagerness to pay to enjoy. You can vary between the beach front deck and pool, and areas of the sand depending on your taste. There are many other options for beach in Mazatlan, but this is my opinion of the one with the least hitch's.

El Cid

IMG_1441.jpg

El Cid - closest high-rise hotel in background, Deer Island on left

IMG_8335.jpg

There is a new RUI resort hotel a few miles further north that should offer an very nice upgrade to the typical older average quality Mazatlan resort; but it is still under construction (pic taken 2/09).

New Rui

IMG_8102.jpg

Archived