Can I fit all this in one day in Sitka?

bqkali

I am not planning on doing an excursion in Sitka because there seems to be plenty to do (and I need at least one budget-friendly port ;)) However, after reading up on the town, I am wondering if I can fit it all in!! I will be in Sitka from 7am-4pm, but once you factor in the time it takes to tender, I am hoping for about 6 hours of "usable" time.

Can I do all this in one day? I'd actually like to go in the different historical buildings, not just walk by.

• Visitor's Center
  • Totem Park
  • St. Michael's Cathedral
  • Russian Bishop's House
  • Sheldon Jackson Museum
  • Sheet'ka Kwaan Naa Kahidi Native Dancers
  • New Archangel Dancers

Obviously I will skip the dancers if they don't have a performance the day I am there, but I would love to see both if I can fit it in (they both say they are only 30 minute performances). If I have too much scheduled, what would you recommend skipping?

Also, does anyone have recommendations for an affordable lunch? I know "cheap" is a relative term in Alaska, but I'd love to get something for $15-20.

Thanks!!

I think you can fit most if not all of that in. We did a 4-hour wildlife tour in the morning with Capt. Davey (GREAT tour!), had lunch at Cafe Mellow Days (good and not expensive), visited St. Michael's Cathedral, walked to the totem park but didn't stay long, then visited the Russian Bishop's House. You will have the whole morning to do more in-town activities than we did.

Sitka is small and you can see all of this in one day. I would say if you must miss something........miss the dancers. We loved them but we had been to Sitka three times before and there is so much to see. Do all your other activities and see the dancers in the aftenoon in case there is not enough time!! One of our favorite ports but we will miss it this year as we are doing the 14 day to Seward and back to Vancouver.

Thank you both for your replies. I will try to map out a route to do things efficiently and make the most of my brief visit. Hopefully the tenders will go quickly so I can get on shore ASAP and see a lot of Sitka. My parents went to Sitka many years ago and it was their favorite port so I am hoping I will love it too!

As mentioned, you should be able to include your list, with good routing and timing. Not sure of your "visitor center" reference??

Key for the tenders, is to be ready to go about 30 minutes prior to the listed time, and in line for either the tenders or tender tickets. These early morning port times, are benefited by the sleep ins. :) Can be a big problem with later arrivals.

As mentioned, you should be able to include your list, with good routing and timing. Not sure of your "visitor center" reference??

Key for the tenders, is to be ready to go about 30 minutes prior to the listed time, and in line for either the tenders or tender tickets. These early morning port times, are benefited by the sleep ins. :) Can be a big problem with later arrivals.

Thanks - I read the NPS Visitor's Center has a good 12 minute introductory film on Sitka. Not a big deal if I miss it, but I thought it might be a good way to start the day.

I will be up and ready for an early tender. I have only tendered once - and despite being ready with a ticket - I waited about an hour for them to get some ship excursions off because they were so disorganized. I am hoping the Millie crew will be a little more efficient, but I'm not sure since Sitka is not a "regular" port for them, just a bonus for their 10-day itinerary.

Thanks - I read the NPS Visitor's Center has a good 12 minute introductory film on Sitka. Not a big deal if I miss it, but I thought it might be a good way to start the day.

I will be up and ready for an early tender. I have only tendered once - and despite being ready with a ticket - I waited about an hour for them to get some ship excursions off because they were so disorganized. I am hoping the Millie crew will be a little more efficient, but I'm not sure since Sitka is not a "regular" port for them, just a bonus for their 10-day itinerary.

OK, this is the Sitka National Heritage Park, where the 1 mile loop trail past the totems is. They have a cheap descriptive totem guide, if of interest. Do those together, up the hill is also the Raptor Center. Request their visitor guide for a map http://www.sitka.org

OK, this is the Sitka National Heritage Park, where the 1 mile loop trail past the totems is. They have a cheap descriptive totem guide, if of interest. Do those together, up the hill is also the Raptor Center. Request their visitor guide for a map www.sitka.org

Thank you! As always, you are a wealth of information.

Archived