Cruisewear: Sandals and Socks

Chelly

Well I say that sandals do keep you cooler than shoes, even with socks. And with socks, you aren't getting the nasty sweaty grime and bacteria that your feet would collect on the sandals themselves that would cause them to reek. Most people I see that wear sandals without socks have DISGUSTING smelling feet, I can smell them when I'm standing up. Yuck!

Do the people that you don't see but who do wear sandals without socks smell OK?

Do you not smell people wearing sandals without socks when you are stitting down?

:confused: :rolleyes:

IMHO, the only acceptable sock/sandal combination is a nice pair of chunky wool sock and birkenstocks.

I should have added, but never with shorts :D

And for those who think socks keep the stink down, there are probably other issues going on here. Most feet are far more stinky in socks and shoes than in sandals. Take my husband's work boots vs his Tevas - no question which make his feet smell more, and its not the Tevas.

Who cares? Wear what you feel comfortable in.

I do not go on a cruise to make fashion statements. I go to be comfortable and have a good time.

The formal attire police are gonna get a kick out of that statement. :eek: :D

I implore you -- please don't wear socks with sandals!! It's over-the-top tacky!

Sandals and socks is definitely a north west thing. I did not understand it at first moving from CA, but now I get it... The weather is cold but sunny. You want to urge Summer to come faster. Soxs also help keep the sandal foot smell away for those who tend to sweat.

Socks and flip flops are never ok.

Only convicts should use this combination! :eek:

Wearing socks with sandals defeats the purpose of sandals. Sandals are meant to help keep your feet cool in hot weather. If you're wearing them with socks in cooler weather, you should have switched over to regular shoes. Even up here in the "frozen tundra" we don't wear sandals & socks. Ugh.

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

You're so happy right. Sandals with bare feet from May to the end of September then switch to socks and shoes. :D Socks with sandals are a no no.

You're so happy right. Sandals with bare feet from May to the end of September then switch to socks and shoes. :D Socks with sandals are a no no.

I kept thinking "May to September?" :confused: No, its April - October. Then I looked at your locations and realized you care considerably further north :D

I understand the socks and sandals thing, but I did not know that waistpacks (or fanny packs) were inappropriate, and not the thing to wear. They are so handy, but now I'll have to consider carrying my stuff another way if it is so unfashionable!!

"Socks and sandals guy, we salute you". This is the end of the PEMCO Ad someone mentioned earlier.

Perhaps this is only a Northwest thing, but commonly seen here except in hot weather (our 10 days a year.) This goes for all ages and is most common with folks who are active outdoors. Heavy (usually) crew socks with Birks, Tevas's and Keens (and such). Even here white socks with sandals are dorky). They are used hiking (not mountain climbing), shopping, biking, relax and many other ways. Remember, most of our summer afternoon weather hovers around 70oF, so toes can be really cold when you leave home and it is 45o. One can always take off the socks if temperatures warrant.

Now before you laugh, just remember "Grunge" music started here and and took over the teenage music world for a time.

On a somewhat related matter, at what age is it that men are expected to wear black dress socks with shorts? Just want to be ready.

And what's the point of having a wife, if among other spousal faults she can manage to point out, she misses this one? *L*

On top of the black dress socks with shorts is the added feature of dress shoes to complete the look. I think HAL does have mirrors in their cabins.

As for socks with sandals. If you want to roll with that look, go for it. But don't be upset when I chuckle at you. And why is it mostly the males who think this looks good?

Well I say that sandals do keep you cooler than shoes, even with socks. And with socks, you aren't getting the nasty sweaty grime and bacteria that your feet would collect on the sandals themselves that would cause them to reek. Most people I see that wear sandals without socks have DISGUSTING smelling feet, I can smell them when I'm standing up. Yuck!

In some countries, it is the norm to wear sandals. You would think letting the feet breathe might prevent odour and bacteria, rather than trapping it as socks would. In my own experience, more icky foot smell comes when people remove their socked feet from shoes, than when they are out in the open in sandals...

:D:D:D

On top of the black dress socks with shorts is the added feature of dress shoes to complete the look. I think HAL does have mirrors in their cabins.
You forgot to include the sock-garters in your visual. ;) :D

Hey Chelly-

Well as style is a matter of personal taste -

I personally would say no, no, no and no and then no again.

What's the point of wearing sandals if you don't want the feet to either breath or show?:cool: Feet should always go commando in sandals...:eek:

I just asked the 20-somethings inhabiting my livingroom.

Yes, sox with sandals. No, no sox with flip-flops.

Of course, this all depends on weather, venue, and age.

Ask the same teen about sagging jeans and underwear showing... I guess that should be OK too. :rolleyes:

Archived