First-timer in Paris - hotels?

We're doing a Mediterranean cruise and adding on four days post-cruise in Paris, in mid-August. Looking for hotel recommendations (my family is me, DH and son - almost 14),and don't totally want to go broke, but don't want a flea-bag either. Maybe in the $200.00/night price range. Is this realistic?

Also, what area is best to stay? I'm thinking of Trocadero, but willing to listen to anyone who has an opinion.

Thanks!

We're doing a Mediterranean cruise and adding on four days post-cruise in Paris, in mid-August. Looking for hotel recommendations (my family is me, DH and son - almost 14),and don't totally want to go broke, but don't want a flea-bag either. Maybe in the $200.00/night price range. Is this realistic? Also, what area is best to stay? I'm thinking of Trocadero, but willing to listen to anyone who has an opinion.

With the Euro down from $1.60 last late summer to about $1.30 now, that helps get a more reasonably price place in Paris. For the three of you, it would be ideal to have a little larger place than just one of the cramped hotel rooms in a boring commercial area of Paris. I would check this website:

http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/europe

and consider such areas as the Marais, the Left Bank, etc.

For us, being in a more charming part of Paris that is handy to the better Metro lines will save time and make your visit in this great city more enjoyable. With an apartment, you can have breakfast or lunch there. You can take advantage of the many bakeries/boulangerie/patisserie shops. Most are very cute and wonderful. Great breads! Get a sandwich, pastry, drink. Maybe some cheese. Other nice fresh things. Maybe spend only $4-5-6 a person. Eat in your apartment or a park area or bench in Paris. Like a little picnic! Saves money and time during a busy day. Allows a little more budget for dinner in the evening.

For hotels, you can try:

http://www.tripadvisor.com

http://www.hotels.com

Lots and lots of options in Paris, but location is very important in BOTH saving your travel time and capturing the "feel" for this wonderful city. The Trocadero is a decent location, but does it have the right convenience and "style" to fit your needs and interests?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

I stayed at the Hotel Garden Elysee and it was in a great location and was very nice but breakfast was not included in the price. Once we settled into the hotel- everything was in walking distance. We never needed a taxi or the metro. The hop-on-hop off bus was a couple blocks from the hotel and we used this to circumnavigate the city. The Eiffel Tower was three blocks away.

I checked their website and it is 280 Euros per night for a Junior Suite (the room that accomodates 3).

Another hotel that you might want to check out is the Hotel Baltimore

We stayed at Hotel de la Sorbonne in the Latin Quarter (right across from the Sorbonne). We loved it! great access to Metro, we walked everywhere, restaurants bakeries ect. We paid 85 euros last year while they were doing renos it is a bit more now 110 Euros. Check it out on Trip advisor great reviews for the price and super nice staff. Really French feeling not a cookie cutter type of hotel. Karen

Archived