CB to Southern Carribean how rocky really?

trickylibrarian

We just got off of the ship on 3/15, this we our 14th cruise .I can honestly tell you that my taking a pill the first night on my first cruise was the worst thing I did. I missed everything. I fell asleep before my 3 year old. A ship has a bit of rocking it is in the ocean. Let yourself get used to it. If it is windy it will rock a little more. Don't be afraid you will live through it. If you think you should be sick, you Will get sick. If you think you'll be fine , you will. Go and enjoy your trip. If you rock alittle bit laugh at everyone rocking with you. Have fun and have a drink for me. I have to wait at least 6 months before I can go again.:)

well my wife and I have been on the CB twice doing the eastern caribbean and both trips we hit some very rough seas. Both trips we had over 12' seas and the one night it almost knocked us out of bed we had to get up and look out the doorwall to see what was up.Now we both time had a cabin on the lido deck so it will move a lot more the higher you are but 12' seas are very rough. I think of the total 14 days 4 days were rough and the others were mild to glass so be ready this time of year you may be on glass or might be in for a wild ride. Enjoy you will have a blast great ship

There is absolutely no way to predict how much movement there will be: it depends on the wind, waves, currents, ship's speed, etc. If you are concerned, book a cabin mid-ship on Plaza or Emerald deck (as low as you can) to minimize movement.

Great cruise. There was very little movement noticed. We were forward on Caribe deck. That said, I like to feel the ship rock, it adds to the enjoyment of being at sea. If the rocking movement of a ship bothers some, they should just simply go to a land based all inclusive resort. They wouldn't experience any movement there!!!!!!!:D

We were on the CB from 2/22-3/1. She definately showed some movement, mostly side to side. You never had to hang on to anything but sometimes when walking, the ship would move and you'd take an unintentional sidestep. Also some days the water in the pool was really sloshing around.

We were on the Crown a couple of years back, also on a southern Caribbean itinerary and never experienced any motion. The contrast between the two, nearly identical ships, was noticable.

My wife is very susceptable to motion sickness and she never had any problems.

I looked in Walmart and Target and can't find the seasick bands or ginger pills. I have the meclizine pills and the patch, but would like to try a non-pharmacologic method this time becasue I hate the side effects!

Should I look in CVS or a Walgreens?:confused:

Kick back and relax. I sailed on the CB Sept 08 and experienced very little movement. I was also on the CB 3/8-3/15/09(with several of the previous posters). I think we may have been on two different ships. While we experienced several hours of slight movement the final evening, the rest of the trip was pretty much cruising as usual. I've been in cars that didn't give as smooth a ride. I read an article several years ago in a medical magazine that stated that a large percentage of getting seasick is mental. I think I feel motion therefore I think I may get sick....and we all hate to disappoint ourselves! You will be fine....enjoy your cruise!!

This is my first post and I was motivated because we are sailing on the CB out of SJ Sunday and now I am scared it is going to be too much movement for me. I hate to use the patch etc (although have the wrist bands). Have been in the Carribean in December with a few pretty rough days but HATED it. Why would such a big ship have that much movement? Isn't the Carribean calm in the Spring. Thanks for any encouragement.

If it really bothers you....go to the medical center and ask for the shot of Promethazine Tecolate (prescribed in tablet form on the ship under the name of Avomine). My wife has had to go on the last 2 cruises.....we were on the CB March 8th-15th and she visited the medical center first thing on the 9th. She never had a problem after that and the ship was definitely moving. The trip to the med center costs about $75, and they prescribe pills to take during the cruise to maintain the effect of the shot. the shot cures motion sickness almost instantly. My wife swears it is the best money she has ever spent on a cruise.

Also, the pills they prescribe don't seem to make you as tired as the over the counter bonine or dramimine does.

Kick back and relax. I sailed on the CB Sept 08 and experienced very little movement. I was also on the CB 3/8-3/15/09(with several of the previous posters). I think we may have been on two different ships. While we experienced several hours of slight movement the final evening, the rest of the trip was pretty much cruising as usual. I've been in cars that didn't give as smooth a ride. I read an article several years ago in a medical magazine that stated that a large percentage of getting seasick is mental. I think I feel motion therefore I think I may get sick....and we all hate to disappoint ourselves! You will be fine....enjoy your cruise!!
I agree! I've been on cruises where I didn't even notice we were moving much and afterwards, others said how they couldn't leave their cabins they were so sick from the "terrible" movement.

And yes, while a lot is physical, there's something to be said for the mental. A couple of years ago, I met a gentleman with a great sense of humor. He told the story of how he gets motion sick and on one cruise, used the patch. After several days of being fine, someone commented that he had it on backwards, i.e., it hadn't been doing a thing. Not sure how he could put it on backwards but that was his story and he stuck to it... without the patch whenever he cruised afterwards.

I have been on 2 cruises..one on Holland America and the last on the Crown Princess. Will be on the CB in May for the Southern itinerary out of SJ. Reading thru posts on motion sickness I came across the following advice about preventing sea sickness. Take a bonine THE NIGHT before you embark right before you go to sleep. You will sleep thru the drowsy feeling if you are prone to it (which I am..anything makes me drowsy and cant take dramamine=coma). I continued to take 1/2 a bonine every night before I went to sleep. I never felt drowsy or sick during the day except for the one day we had slammin' seas of 12 ft on Holland ..they closed all the outside decks! I was so sick I almost didnt make dinner. Since I had only taken a half a pill the night before I went ahead and took another half, laid down and within an hour I was up and hungry and ready for dinner. IMHO the bands do not work..nor the ginger pills..the bonine I swear by! Our last cruise on Princess they reported "wavelets" very calm seas like glass on the eastern caribbean route in Nov.

I'm a little worried by reports of motion on the CB. I'm not the worlds best sailor:(

My nephew who is an officer on oil tankers suggested this device.http://www.aeromedix.com/aeromedix_articles/reliefband/index.html

It's rather expensive but I think I'm going to give it a try. I hope to have plenty more cruises in my future so it will be an investment.

I'm a little worried by reports of motion on the CB. I'm not the worlds best sailor:(

My nephew who is an officer on oil tankers suggested this device.http://www.aeromedix.com/aeromedix_articles/reliefband/index.html

It's rather expensive but I think I'm going to give it a try. I hope to have plenty more cruises in my future so it will be an investment.

My DH has that and it works wonders for him. I just got one for myself.

Hi

I had to reply since you are tricky also.We were on the CB in February in the Southern Carribean and didn't have much movement.We had one day when it was a little rough but we have always had that on every cruise.

Tricky1

I agree that the wrist bands don't work...unless you buy the ones that give off an electronic pulse ..and they are expensive. the ones that are bands have been tested and don't work. Ginger can cause stomach issues with some.

Seasickness is somewhat mental...but mostly inner ear caused.

I swear by Bonine...at night one tablet. Two if it is really rough.

REally works...

WE were on the CB in early 2007...the ride from Ft. Lauderdale to St. Thomas and back was rough. Very rough on the way back. IMHO the boat is top heavy and doesn't handle seas well at all. Very rocky. Won't go on that class of ship again.

• 2 weeks later...
I am on the CB next month and am also concerned. My first Southern cruise we rocked a lot the first couple of days. I got sick the first night. It calmed down after that. The second Southern I went on there was movement, but nothing bad.

I expect movement on the cruise, but I am just curious if it is a comfortable movement. Someone in the suite thread made it sound like fast back and forth movement, which does not sound very comfortable.

Just trying tomentally prepare myself.

For the week we were on 3/22-3/29 there was some movement but nothing I couldn't handle and I'd say I am not a great sailor. However, when we ate in the Carib Cafe a few evenings there was more movement back there. Watched MUTS 3 nights and it was wonderful. Loved the cruise and wish I was back there now.

I'm a little worried by reports of motion on the CB.
Any time you're on a ship, there's going to be motion whether you're on the Caribbean or the Royal Princess. If you're concerned about being affected by motion, your best bet is to book a cabin on a lower deck (Emerald or Plaza) mid-ship. We see people post who say they're prone to motion sickness yet have booked a balcony on Riviera deck, which is one of the last places they should be. :(

Archived