CB to Southern Carribean how rocky really?

trickylibrarian

This is my first post and I was motivated because we are sailing on the CB out of SJ Sunday and now I am scared it is going to be too much movement for me. I hate to use the patch etc (although have the wrist bands). Have been in the Carribean in December with a few pretty rough days but HATED it. Why would such a big ship have that much movement? Isn't the Carribean calm in the Spring. Thanks for any encouragement.

This is my first post and I was motivated because we are sailing on the CB out of SJ Sunday and now I am scared it is going to be too much movement for me. I hate to use the patch etc (although have the wrist bands). Have been in the Carribean in December with a few pretty rough days but HATED it. Why would such a big ship have that much movement? Isn't the Carribean calm in the Spring. Thanks for any encouragement.

We were on the Grand at the end of January to the Southern Caribbean and it was like glass for most of the trip! :D

I am on the CB next month and am also concerned. My first Southern cruise we rocked a lot the first couple of days. I got sick the first night. It calmed down after that. The second Southern I went on there was movement, but nothing bad.

I expect movement on the cruise, but I am just curious if it is a comfortable movement. Someone in the suite thread made it sound like fast back and forth movement, which does not sound very comfortable.

Just trying tomentally prepare myself.

We just got off of the CB on sunday 3/15. It was Really Moving! I usually just take Bonine the first night out and then I'm fine, but it was pretty rocky most of the trip (some nights more than others). I took a Bonine almost every night just to be sure that I wouldn't feel it!

We had 1 night on the Eastern Caribbean that was really rocking like we walking like we were drunk but hadn't had anything yet, but our 2 trips to the Southern Caribbean were fine and we wanted it to rock some to feel like we were on a ship. You can feel it less lower and midship. It all depends on how choppy the water is. We have seen people with the bands and patches. We have never had to take anything ourselves thank goodness. Good luck and don't worry. Keep some saltines in your cabin if you feel queasy.

This is only my experience and movement is subjective, but for me the you could really feel the ship breaking through the waves. It was not the up and down of the rough seas. It just felt like the ship had to make time and was doing it's best. Now the cruise log showed that we never went to maximum speed. Bracelets worked for members of my family.

We have suggested to our families (most have not cruised before) a cruise next Jan. onboard the Caribbean Princess but are nervous about the ship's motion a lot of posters have commented on. We are also considering the Emerald itinerary (Eastern Caribbean). As we have not booked yet, are we better off leaning towards a newer ship?

Thanks!

We just got off the CB on Sunday (wish I was still cruising), and while I don't get seasick, there was definitely a bit of rocking, especially the last night from St. Thomas to San Juan. I am a deep sleeper too, and the rocking puts me to sleep, but my fiance does get seasick in rough waters, and he was fine on this cruise. He said the last night was more rocky than others, but not unbearable. He didnt have to take anything. The first day we got off the ship, we both still felt like we were on the ship because our bodies were rocking. We were on Alaska cruise last June and that was more rocky than the Southern Caribbean on the CB.

As far as what type of rocky... if you've ever been in an earthquake it feels like the rocking aftershocks (not shaky). Otherwise the best way I can explain it is that it feels like someone is pushing you very gently from side to side. If you stay towards the center of the ship it's not bad.

All that said, the rocking was NOTHING like what I experienced in 2004 when we were cruising the Western Caribbean on the CB in between two hurricanes!

We have cruised to the Caribbean several times. When cruising short distances between islands, we haven't had rough seas.

The only time we had rough seas was on 1 cruise when we crossed through the center of the Caribbean between San Juan and Curacao.

We have also used wrist bands during rough seas with good results.

DavidnSteph

We have cruised to the Caribbean several times. When cruising short distances between islands, we haven't had rough seas.

The only time we had rough seas was on 1 cruise when we crossed through the center of the Caribbean between San Juan and Curacao.

We have also used wrist bands during rough seas with good results.

DavidnSteph

What do they charge for these "bands" and where can I get them?

Thanks

John

THE WATER IS not rough,your cruise will be smooth

That's what someone told me before the cruise where I ended up sick the first night. I thought it would be smooth but it was far from it. I had not taken any motion sickness meds. I advise to have some with you, take 1 the first day and see how it goes.

What do they charge for these "bands" and where can I get them?

Thanks

John

Thanks

John

The bands we use are called Sea Bands and they work by accupressure.

You can find them at most drug stores in the area with the Bonimine ect.

My DH swears by them and puts them on as soon as we board.

Moya

I was on the 3/1/2009 to 3/8/2009 sailing of the CB. This was my 8th Princess cruise and my 16th overall. I did not feel any more rocking than on any other typical cruise. The first 5 nights were very smooth. I could hardly feel the ship move. The last two nights were a little rocky, but the winds were blowing very hard. On our Tortola stop many ship excursions were cancelled because of the strong winds that reached 60 mph. I was actually surprised that the ship wasn’t rocking more than it was.

Have taken 4 southerns out of San Juan--our only bad seas seem to be between St. Thomas and San Juan--we've been on 17 or 18 cruises in the past 4 years and those were the worst--also on the Grand--but only one night on each of two.

By the way, I don't like the patch either--but I wear it--I have no choice--or stay home

Safe travels

Nancy:D

Try wearing half a patch...it worked for me with no side effects. Another cruiser on the ship suggested I try that as the ginger helped but the patch was much better. I was on the CB 2-22 sailing and it moved some from side to side but it was a great cruise!:)

This is only my second cruise. Did the New England on the NCL Dawn through a hurricane and had no problem..had wrist bands and Bonine....did a RCCl Med cruise last year and never felt any movement and it was a smaller ship....the cruise I am now taking is a RePO on the Princess from San Juan to NYC....I am anticipating some rough seas from Bermuda to NYC....and am taking my 87 year old mom for her first cruise...so am wondering if the CB is worse than the other ships....is there some reason to think she will be more rocky than my previous?? Discounting for weather....we are on the Caribe deck mid ship....but inside....

We just got off the Caribbean Princess on March 8th, and it was a bit rocky for a few days, but not enough to make us sick. Didn't seem to bother alot of people, as the dining room was always full. Just make sure you hang onto something or someone!:D

Our Hawaii Cruise this past Oct and we were expecting motion for the first couple days, was more of a gently rocking, with an occassional up and down. for those having not experienced this, your walking down the hall and you begin walking to the side, its very subtle. The up and down motion, is a bit differant, you sorta high step. A few were bothered by this, majority took it in stride. On your Mexico Cruises coming back from Cabo, you will experience rougher seas for a day or so.

Archived