Anyone use currency exchanges in US?

treasure4two

In looking around different websites, I have found that many of the places we visit on the 7-12-09 Baltic cruise do not easily accept American currency. I am really only concerned about Copenhagen and Stockholm, as those are two places(especially Copenhagen) we will be on own our most or all of the time. Is Travelex a good and safe place to exchange American dollars for foreign currency or do you all have better suggestions from your personal experiences? I do not feel comfortable, like in Copenhagen, using a credit card for the taxi from the airport to the hotel and then hotel to cruise ship I would really appreciate your answers.:rolleyes::confused:;)

**Just as an aside, when we were in safari in 2006 in Kenya and Tanzania, there were no issues with the American dollar-everyone there accepted American currency, even the street people selling their goods plus the language of business in Africa is English, so we never had a language problem easier. I was a flight attendant for TWA for 27 years and have flown over 15,000,000 miles while working and vacationing and East Africa was by far, the easiest place to travel in the world!! Not too good for cruising, but great for land travel!!:D

In looking around different websites, I have found that many of the places we visit on the 7-12-09 Baltic cruise do not easily accept American currency. I am really only concerned about Copenhagen and Stockholm,

At Langelinie pier there was an ATM right at the dock...not sure on the fees

Hi,

We are going to Copenhagen on June 3rd and have been told we can use a credit card to pay the fare from the airport to the hotel and pay for all purchases with our credit card. There should be ATM machines on the main streets or you can change money at your hotel. We usually go to a money exchange in our city for some foreign money before we go.

Sheila

I'm perplexed. ATMs are all over France and Italy, and I'd be much surprised if they weren't in all the countries relevant to this board (i.e. Baltics/Scandanavia/Russia). Using your debit card to get an appropriate amount of currency in Copenhagen, Stockholm, Helsinki, etc. from an ATM is simple, and likely offers the best conversion rate you can get.

If I am mistaken about this, someone please set me straight.

Sam

I'm perplexed. ATMs are all over France and Italy, and I'd be much surprised if they weren't in all the countries relevant to this board (i.e. Baltics/Scandanavia/Russia). Using your debit card to get an appropriate amount of currency in Copenhagen, Stockholm, Helsinki, etc. from an ATM is simple, and likely offers the best conversion rate you can get.

If I am mistaken about this, someone please set me straight.

Sam

Absolutely.

Cash machines (ATMs) are all over the place and give you the best rate of exchange. Avoid the Bureau de Change like the plague as you will get a terrible exchange rate and pay commission on top so don't take dollars with you ashore and don't get any foreign currency before you go.

In St Petersburg they will probably accept dollars and euros for souvenirs. We went in a supermarket and paid by credit card but you do need to show your passport. In Tallinn the ATMs were few and far between but there is one just round the back of the main square. We only wanted a small amount of local currency for an entrance fee and using a Bureau de Change would have cost more than double!!!

At Langelinie pier there was an ATM right at the dock...not sure on the fees

No local fees are charged. The fees are charged in accordance with your card provider's T's and C's for foreign transactions. There is often about 2.75% commission taken by a "loading" in the exchange rate they give you and sometimes a transaction fee aswell. In the UK we have cards with Nationwide which has no loading and no transaction fees for debit cards (normal cash withdrawal charges apply for credit cards) so is much the cheapest way to get foreign currency... far cheaper than using the so called "commission free" foreign exchange offered by banks and travel agents.

No one in Europe takes dollars and haven't for years. You might be able to get away with using euros in non-euro countries, but not dollars. Just use an ATM to get cash. Using your cc for the taxi in Copenhagen is fine-we did it in 2002 with no problems.

No local fees are charged. The fees are charged in accordance with your card provider's T's and C's for foreign transactions. .

Good to know ..

however our debit card we are charge a fee from the foreign ATM's for a transaction fee.

In the USA ATM's it can vary from bank to bank but most of our international transactions are about $5.

Maybe UK cards are different

Good to know ..

however our debit card we are charge a fee from the foreign ATM's for a transaction fee.

In the USA ATM's it can vary from bank to bank but most of our international transactions are about $5.

Maybe UK cards are different

Maybe they are different, I'm not sure. When you say that foreign ATM's charge a transaction fee how do you pay this fee? Do they take it out of the foreign currency dispensed or added to the amount charged to your card? Or is it shown as a separate charge on the statement from your bank in which case it is your bank that is making the charge not the foreign ATM?

My Nationwide card is a Visa debit card and Visa charge Nationwide a fee for transactions in certain foreign currencies. Currently Nationwide pays that fee but does not pass it on to me. Later this year they will be passing on this fee of 1% which will apply to certain countries but not to ATMs in most of Europe.

The point I am making is that it is my bank that is deciding what (if any) charges to make for using ATMs anywhere in the world. I have not come across an ATM making a charge for withdrawing foreign currency. Is this different with you?

Maybe they are different, I'm not sure. When you say that foreign ATM's charge a transaction fee how do you pay this fee? Do they take it out of the foreign currency dispensed or added to the amount charged to your card? Or is it shown as a separate charge on the statement from your bank in which case it is your bank that is making the charge not the foreign ATM?

When you withdraw cash from an ATM they tell you what fee they will withdraw from your account as a fee could be anywhere from $1.50 to $5. depending on the bank you use...you have to option to continue with the transaction or cancel it.

If it was just my bank it would be the same amount of fee charged.

The point I am making is that it is my bank that is deciding what (if any) charges to make for using ATMs anywhere in the world. I have not come across an ATM making a charge for withdrawing foreign currency. Is this different with you?

If i use a different bank's ATM machine even here in Canada we are charged a fee from THAT bank for the convenience of using their ATM.

That said we could also be charged a fee from our own bank ...but at the current time I have not been charged.

All my withdrawals out of the country have incurred a transaction fee from the bank whose ATM I am using.

My point is:

Every Country is different in how their banking system is run

When were were in Jersey a few years ago we used a Barclay's bank ATM & no charges were incurred. I was pleasantly surprised

Lyn

In the UK, if the bank or organisation that owns the ATM charges a fee for using it, I believe they have to advise you. I always get a screen telling me that the owner bank is not charging for the transaction. On the rare occasion I have had to use one of the machines that do charge (eg. in a pub), I've had a notice that they are charging £1.50 or whatever.

I seem to recall a similar notice on machines in other EU countries, but I could be wrong about that.

Lisa

In the UK, if the bank or organisation that owns the ATM charges a fee for using it, I believe they have to advise you. I always get a screen telling me that the owner bank is not charging for the transaction. On the rare occasion I have had to use one of the machines that do charge (eg. in a pub), I've had a notice that they are charging £1.50 or whatever.

I seem to recall a similar notice on machines in other EU countries, but I could be wrong about that.

Lisa

I guess CLIVE has been lucky & never charged ;)or never noticed

Lyn

Lisa

I have recently seen a cash machine in a pub/restaurant that had a charge. They certainly do have to advise you of any fee. I have only ever used cash machines in the high street and have never been charged a fee by the ATM owner either in the UK or Europe. The only time it has ever cost anything was in Venice when I used my HSBC card to withdraw euros. HSBC charged 1.5% or £1.50 (whichever was higher) for the transaction and that was when I found out about such matters and have used Nationwide ever since and not paid a penny.

One thing to to watch out for in Europe is that sometimes the ATM or shop/restaurant will give you the option of allowing them to do the foreign currency conversion for you and bill in the currency of your card. OBVIOUSLY THIS IS NOT A GOOD IDEA!!!

When you withdraw cash from an ATM they tell you what fee they will withdraw from your account as a fee could be anywhere from $1.50 to $5. depending on the bank you use...you have to option to continue with the transaction or cancel it.

If it was just my bank it would be the same amount of fee charged.

If i use a different bank's ATM machine even here in Canada we are charged a fee from THAT bank for the convenience of using their ATM.

That said we could also be charged a fee from our own bank ...but at the current time I have not been charged.

All my withdrawals out of the country have incurred a transaction fee from the bank whose ATM I am using.

My point is:

Every Country is different in how their banking system is run

When were were in Jersey a few years ago we used a Barclay's bank ATM & no charges were incurred. I was pleasantly surprised

Lyn

Wow, sounds like you really get screwed.:mad:

I would agree that each country probably has different banking systems but the ATMs all seem to be on the Visa/Maestro/Link network and show these symbols. I can only think it is the card provider's relationship with these networks that determine whether the ATM applies a fee. I can only report that using my Nationwide card in a high street ATM has never incurred a fee anywhere in Europe or Scandinavia/Estonia/Turkey.:)

I have used Travelex several times. It's very convenient if you want large amounts or if you want the money before you leave. They overnight the money to you. They used to give you free shipping if you exchanged $500 or more. I suggest you use a debit card for the transaction. Your credit card may consider this a cash advance.

We also use ATM's for smaller amounts of money. Be sure you have a 4 digit pin code. ATM's in Europe will only take 4 digits. You may have to try several different banks before you find one that works for you.

Also let your bank know where you'll be traveling. Some counties are blocked from use for ATM, debit, and credit cards.

Other then arrival expenses, doesn't the ship exchange curriencies? When in rome last year, a cruise mate was told she would be able to use dollars for the taxi, to the hotel. Could not and had to go back inside airport for exchange. In split croatia they took dollars but not euros????

We traveled to Copenhagen last year. We found that restaurants not only charged for water with a meal, but there was also a different fee charged when using various types of credit cards. American Express users were charged the highest. Pricing tiers were for Danish currency, U.S. dollars, VISA, Master Card, and Am. Ex. We stayed at a hotel near the Strogen, and used the buses frequently. Busdrivers spoke excellent English and were very patient with us.

We traveled to Copenhagen last year. We found that restaurants not only charged for water with a meal, but there was also a different fee charged when using various types of credit cards. American Express users were charged the highest. Pricing tiers were for Danish currency, U.S. dollars, VISA, Master Card, and Am. Ex. We stayed at a hotel near the Strogen, and used the buses frequently. Busdrivers spoke excellent English and were very patient with us.

You will generally be charged for water in Europe.

ATMs, as was stated, are widely available, (except when you need them of course).:eek:

If you are spending thousands to go on your cruise vacation, these charges we are talking about really do represent a drop in the ocean.

Smooth sailing...

Archived