HAL tiles?

cruzisme

Does HAL still give out tiles to cruisers?

What is the size of these tiles? Are they the size of coasters ie almost 4 inch square? With cork base?

Or are coasters only avail. for sale in the stores onboard ship?

Just wondering!

Yes, tiles are still given out to Mariners (2nd or more HAL cruise).

Click here and then choose the Tiles tab to see the current and past tiles. The 2009 set (if any different from 2008) has not been announced yet AFAIK.

They are approximately 4" x 4", and cork backed. They are not for sale by HAL, but you can buy them on ebay! :)

Thanks John for the help.

I was at the Thrift Store today and for 25 cents each, bought 2 2008 tiles (one with the little girl) and one 2007 tile showing the ship.

I thought the Mariner tiles were little things, not this size.

I know there are probably lots of people out there who don't like these or maybe don't take them home?

When does the room steward give them to you? One per room or one per Mariner person?

The tiles are given one per Mariner beginning on your second Holland America cruise.

Last week on the Ryndam, they were given out at the Mariner's Brunch. The note on the invitation said that if you didn't attend the brunch to let the front office know and you'd receive your tiles.

We've skipped the brunch before and the steward put the tiles in our stateroom even without letting the front desk know.

The tiles we just received were the 2008 series, with the funnel image.

We love our tiles and "ain't noboddy gonna get them" from us! :p

I know there are probably lots of people out there who don't like these or maybe don't take them home?

Yes, I know some people have found them left in the nightstand drawer in their cabin! :) Not me. :(

When does the room steward give them to you? One per room or one per Mariner person?

They may be left on your bed by your steward the night before the Mariner's reception, or they may be given out at the Mariner's brunch on some ships. Sometimes they are on the tables, and sometimes there is just a large pile as you leave the dining room.

Each person who is a Mariner gets one.

• 4 weeks later...

We just completed our 4th HAL cruise on the Westerdam and didn't receive a tile this time. However, we did receive 25 day pins. Should we have still received tiles even though we received pins? We attended the Mariner Brunch, but no one received tiles at the brunch. Thanks!

While it may be impolite to look a gift horse in the mouth, I much prefer the older style tiles with the name of the ship on them. In the past 2 years they have switched to a more generic format.

I was able to pick up older tiles on Ebay to match the ships I have sailed on, but alas, that isn't possible with the Eurodam.

While it may be impolite to look a gift horse in the mouth, I much prefer the older style tiles with the name of the ship on them. In the past 2 years they have switched to a more generic format.

I was able to pick up older tiles on Ebay to match the ships I have sailed on, but alas, that isn't possible with the Eurodam.

I agree with you -- we love the older tiles -- the new ones are just aren't HAL!!

Archived