Do I really need a HD camcorder???

I would like to buy a HD camcorder but I don't know if I really need one, especially with all the other things I have to buy for our upcoming cruise.

I have a HDTV at home so probably the HD camcorder would look better on that screen but can someone recommend a really good Standard Definition camcorder that would give good playback on my TV? I will only be using my camcorder for travel videos and we do that rarely (hopefully once a year):rolleyes:. I like the hard disk/memory card combo for my storage vs. mini tapes, DVD's etc.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

If you don't primarily do video, you may want to look at a digital still camera that also does HD video. Compact or superzoom cameras with surprisingly good video capability are becoming quite common and mixing still images with video in a slide presentation set to can be a very exciting way to share your trip.

Here's one Panasonic compactcamera that does HD video as well as excellent photos. be sure to go to the review page with the sample of the video:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicdmclx3/

This is just one of many makes and models available and may or may not suit your needs. If you don't do video the rest of the year but normally take pictures, compromising on the video may be a better choice.

Just my opinion...I could be wrong.

Dave

If you don't primarily do video, you may want to look at a digital still camera that also does HD video. Compact or superzoom cameras with surprisingly good video capability are becoming quite common and mixing still images with video in a slide presentation set to can be a very exciting way to share your trip.

Here's one Panasonic compactcamera that does HD video as well as excellent photos. be sure to go to the review page with the sample of the video:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicdmclx3/

This is just one of many makes and models available and may or may not suit your needs. If you don't do video the rest of the year but normally take pictures, compromising on the video may be a better choice.

Just my opinion...I could be wrong.

Dave

You've given me something to really think about and research before I make the investment. I tried to view the video at the site but file wouldn't download all the way. Said "error on page."

I'm just getting back into photography after sadly putting away my obsolete Nikon SLR and all the expensive lenses, etc.

BTW, I have been enjoying your brilliant photos on this site. Thanks so much for sharing your talent and knowledge with all of us.

You've given me something to really think about and research before I make the investment. I tried to view the video at the site but file wouldn't download all the way. Said "error on page."

I'm just getting back into photography after sadly putting away my obsolete Nikon SLR and all the expensive lenses, etc.

BTW, I have been enjoying your brilliant photos on this site. Thanks so much for sharing your talent and knowledge with all of us.

Thanks for the kind words!

Here's a link to another video taken with a different Panasonic camera (FX-150):

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2008_reviews/panasonic_fx150/samples/P1000184.MOV

Better luck with that one.

I don't know what your budget is, but if you have a lot of old Nikon glass, The Nikon D90 (< $1000) DSLR shoots HD video. Here is a good, honest review that points out the plusses and minuses:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/d90.shtml

When you get a better idea of what you are looking for, post it and this fine, friendly group will surely help you with all the info you will need to make an informed decision.

Dave

Before you invest a lot of money in a video camera, consider how hard it is to take decent videos and how much time and effort it will take you edit your raw footage into a video that you will want to let others see. We have all had to sit through really bad videos or movies of a trip that someone took.

IMHO, go with the still camera that has a decent video option and only shoot videos when it makes sense to shoot them.

DON

We had a really good Canon Videocamera that we used to use a lot but then never looked at the pictures.

We bought our daughter a Flip Video Camera just to take the odd video. We love it and use it more than she does. Obviously, quality is not the best but at least it captures something in video.

Just a thought!

I'm thinking back to my old video camera days when I wanted to capture the sounds in the scene as well as the action. For instance, we are going to the British Isles this August on the Crown Princess and Edinburg is one of our stops. I want to capture the sounds of the bagpipes as well as the dance moves at some of the festivals. Much better than a still shot, don't you think?

These videos will mostly be for my husband and me vs. showing them off to friends/family, etc. I know I will probably have to upgrade my computer somewhat to do editing but I don't want Academy Award quality videos, just something smooth and watchable for DH and me.:)

I'm thinking back to my old video camera days when I wanted to capture the sounds in the scene as well as the action. For instance, we are going to the British Isles this August on the Crown Princess and Edinburg is one of our stops. I want to capture the sounds of the bagpipes as well as the dance moves at some of the festivals. Much better than a still shot, don't you think?

These videos will mostly be for my husband and me vs. showing them off to friends/family, etc. I know I will probably have to upgrade my computer somewhat to do editing but I don't want Academy Award quality videos, just something smooth and watchable for DH and me.:)

Uh...no!:D

Sorry, I'm a confirmed still photo guy and with three camcorders in the family history, I've probably taken less than 80 hours of video in 30 years.

I have thought of getting a quality digital audio recorder to capture sounds for slide shows. Always something new to try! I did a couple of those coffee table books earlier this year and they have me thinking outside the box.

Good luck with your video. I've done some editing and it's amazing what the home PC can do these days!

Dave

Archived