Celebration Post Cancer Treatment Cruise

ENJOY YOUR CRUISE!!!!..you certainly deserve it.

And for those of you who are also survivors, and those that are still in treatment blessings for you all!!

(so nice to read a thoroughly positive thread for a change!!)

Did you think about going on the Buckeye Cruise for Cancer? (Hate that name) It was on Granduer this year,and I think will be next year)

I think its buckeycruiseforcancer.com, but if you google it, its run by a Travel Agency out of Dublin and helps the Stephanie Speilman fund and is usually packed with former Buckeyes.

A cruise full of Buckeyes??!!!! I can't imagine anything worse! :eek:

Actually, I'll have to tell my dad about that. That would be his dream come true! :)

Enjoy the cruise! We just returned from 7 nights aboard Liberty of the Seas. My mother-in-law was also celebrating the end of chemo. Her hair has not come back yet, but she has some beautiful wigs. She had more energy than us!!!!

Have a Blast!!! Enjoy the rest and relaxation, you deserve it!

Thanks everyone - you can bet I'll be enjoying myself. Fellow survivors - it's a terrible club we had to join but I'm so glad that we are still here. Good luck to everyone going thru this horrible treatment but there is a light at the end. I had already signed up for this cruise and then heard about the Buckeye Cruise - you can bet I'll be there next time. Just love Anthony Gonzoles!!!!!

I'm so excited to be cruising after a year of nausea, metal mouth, numb fingers & toes and no hair. Look out Grandeur - a wild happy woman with a new head of hair is coming soon.:)

Have a great time. I Just got back from Voyager on the 15th, and started my first treatment of radiation on the 16th. Mine was caught early and radiation should be all that is needed.

Congratulations on beating this disease, and enjoy your cruise!!!

Well, thank God I didn't have to have Chemo or Radiation, BUT on the downside with my type of cancer those treatments don't work. I have Carcinoid Cancer and you pretty much have to hope they can remove the primary before it metastasizes and that usually depends on the size of the tumor when found. Mine was smack in the middle and even though there were no indications that it had metastasized 2 years later I had to have a liver resection. I was somewhat lucky though because I only had 1 tumor to remove, most get multiple and sometimes cannot be removed. Then you have to live on an injectable drug called Sandostatin the rest of your life. The unlucky part of my mestastases was that it was in the worst possible place in the liver so they had to do the surgery like a transplant where they had to remove it completely to get to the tumor, remove that section and then replace it. It was not fun. So, even though chemo and radiation are terrible treatments, sometimes I wish I could have had them. I am scanned every 6 mos and will be for some time and, unfortunately, there is no safe amount of time to go by where I am considered cured. I can just hope and pray that with that removal it ended! So, although I deeply feel very sorry for those of you that have had to go through those nasty treatments, at least you guys can get some type of closure after so many years of being clear. I have a son that has had 2 types of cancer already and he's only 22. The first one appeared when he was 11 and after that removal he had a very high rad IMRT (Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy) at 12 years old for 5 weeks at UCSF. Unfortunately for him, this is what caused his second cancer 4 years ago, Thyroid Papillary Cancer because the IMRT was done so close to his throat. His original cancer, aggressive fibromatosis. was on his left jaw/neck and he had to have part of his jaw removed because of it, too. I wish everyone clear testing from here on out and I pray that you are all done with having anymore treatments!!! Now, let's get out there and do some cruising!!! ;)

Yes - a cruise is a wonderful way to celebrate. Our daughter was diagnosed in September with breast cancer and has undergone chemo, a double masectomy and an ooopherectomy. She now faces radiation therapy. Come November - my husband and I will be joining her, our son-in-law and grandson on the Liberty. We plan to celebrate! Best wishes for a long happy and healthy life.

Dolores

Here's another Ohio girl who just completede 5 long weeks of radiation yesterday!!!! Looking forward to cruising on the Serenade next Saturday:):):)

I have one heck of a radiation burn under my arm, but just the thought of leaving on vacation very soon, makes me smile!!!!

So have a wonderful time. and just believe that we are both cancer free!!!!!!!

Debbie

well wishes for a wonderful cruise and the beginning of happy times. Been home 1 week from having surgery waiting for final results. Doctor believes I can just take oral med - but sent info to California to confirm.

Someone mentioned travel insurance - since I already purchased it is it a problem? I have it for 2 out of my 3 upcoming cruises. Can I still get it for the 3rd.

Has anyone gone on a cruise while in treatment? My final surgery because I need reconstruction won't be for 4 months and I was planning on going for July 4th for the weekend, is that wrong?

Isn't it wonderful to have cruising in our lives? I lost my mom to lymphoma in 2006. We cruised together every year, the first week of December for her birthday. We went on a short cruise when she first started chemo, and it really cheered her up. We celebrated with another cruise when she got the all clear. We booked another and then found out that she was sick again. I think she lasted as long as she did because she was so looking forward to that cruise. Unfortunately she never recovered.

I try to cruise every year on her birthday to honor her, I know she would want me to. When I think about cruising I think about my mom, not in the sad way I normally do but great memories of the cruises we enjoyed so much.

Congratulations to the OP, so very happy for you, and enjoy your cruise!

[quote name='Buckeyefan'][FONT=Arial]I'm so excited to be cruising after a year of nausea, metal mouth, numb fingers & toes and no hair. Look out Grandeur - a wild happy woman with a new head of hair is coming soon.:)[/FONT][/QUOTE]

That is so wonderful! You deserve this cruise. That is exactly how I celebrated the announcement of my remission. (And it happened when Jacksonville was just becoming a cruise departure port. Our first cruise ship, which is what we sailed on was Carnival's Miracle. It was meant to be!!!)
From one survivor to another......enjoy your cruise! :D

This is my 5th bout with cancer (this one not operable), and I'm not waiting till I finish treatment!! Leaving Friday for 10 days, come back the 5th of April (AOS), then back to radiation the 6th, and chemo the 7th-10th. This will be my last week for radiation and last cycle of chemo. Hope it works!! Will be going on the cruise with wig and turbans, no hair. Last time my hair grew in curly (previously straight) - don't know about this time. If I'm still around in 6 months, will go on another and REALLY celebrate!! From a 4 time survivor (hopefully 5), enjoy your cruise!! Anyone who's been through the radiation and chemo regime deserves it!! Have a wonderful trip!!!

from yet anotehr surviver you go girl have the time of your life do things just because you can

congrats to all of the survivers out there
go enjoy that cruise you deserve the time of your life

It's been almoat 4 years free for me and we re still monitoring one cancer node that better go away on its own and NOT grow anotehr tumour cancer sucks and for msot there s a cure for some a temporary cure

may hair came back straight and pure white then grey so Im back to colouring my hair again but not that often

I just had a Chemo treatment yesterday. Had to cancel my cruise, I was suppose to leave on Thursday, March 26. So, I'm a little sad today. So, looking at Cruise Critic cheers me up. Reading your post gives me hope. I hope to rebook the cruise in Aug. or Sept. Also, this was a free 5 day cruise that my husband won in Royal Carbbean's photo contest. He took 1st place with a picture of Dubrovnik, Croatia.
So, enjoy your cruise raise your glass to all your Chemo friends that are thinking of you. Enjoy....

[COLOR=black][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=2]I am so sorry to hear of those that have had to endure cancer and the recovery process. We are all thankful you have come thru and hopefully can enjoy your life to the fullest.[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=2] [/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
[SIZE=2][COLOR=black][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Elaine (ebielik[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana][FONT=Comic Sans MS]), it has been a while since I have seen you on these boards. I did not know about your cancer and I do hope this will all be a thing of the past. [/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana][FONT=Comic Sans MS][/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana][FONT=Comic Sans MS]My prayers for a full and speedy recovery for all. Enjoy and celebrate [/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS] [/FONT]
One of my closest friends was diagnosed yesterday with invasive ductile breast cancer. We must remain positive.

[quote name='cruiseguppy']I just had a Chemo treatment yesterday. Had to cancel my cruise, I was suppose to leave on Thursday, March 26. So, I'm a little sad today. So, looking at Cruise Critic cheers me up. Reading your post gives me hope. I hope to rebook the cruise in Aug. or Sept. Also, this was a free 5 day cruise that my husband won in Royal Carbbean's photo contest. He took 1st place with a picture of Dubrovnik, Croatia.
So, enjoy your cruise raise your glass to all your Chemo friends that are thinking of you. Enjoy....[/quote]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=purple]I'm so sorry to hear that! Good luck with your Chemo and re-book that cruise asap so that you have something to really look forward to. Maybe your hubby can win another one for you, sounds like he knows his stuff! Take care![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Cruiseguppy and all other warriors out there -

Don't be sad about having to cancel your trip. I was supposed to set sail on March 26 on a 29 night back 2 back - Australia/New Zealand/Hawaii cruise- but I'm in the middle of radiation treatments now after finishing my chemo so we had to cancel this cruise, as well as one we had planned for this past New Year's Eve.

Chemo's not easy but when it's over, you will be so ready to treat yourself. Start dreaming and planning now for when you are finished with your treatments. We booked a cruise for February 2010 and that's all I can think of - to get out there and just celebrate.

No matter what - just know that this stressful time will pass and you will be able to look ahead to better times.

Good luck with your treatments!

Honeys Gal -

Yes, it's been awhile since I've been on the boards. I was diagnosed with breast cancer in September. After chemo, I am now at the midway mark with radiation treatments. I have a positive outlook that I will be cancer free once my treatments are completed.

I look forward to cruising again and being active on the boards.

Thanks for your well wishes.

Archived