FYI of parents with kiddos that have asthma/food allergies...

MamaParrotHead

Just posting this as an FYI because it didn't occur to me.

I was shopping for trip insurance yesterday. We booked our cruse over a year ago (for this coming November) but didn't book the flights until yesterday. So I didn't think I could book my trip insurance until I had everything squared away with all parts of our trip.

My son has asthma and some severe food allergies, so making sure he's covered while we're away was a top priority of mine. Come to find out, since I didn't book within the time frame they dictate (which varies by policy, but seemed to be about 2 weeks from booking the cruise, which is what they consider the "trip"), he didn't qualify for the waiver on the "pre-existing condition", which they do count the asthma and food allergies as. Luckily, he hasn't had a change in his medication, or a medical issue, regarding those two things in the past 60 days (again, that window varies by policy), otherwise if there had been an incident involving his asthma/allergy issues, it wouldn't have been covered under the trip insurance.

So...in a nutshell, purchase the trip insurance after booking your cruise (even if you have to guesstimate the airfare for the "total trip cost" portion of the quote), otherwise, God forbid something happen, the medical expenses would NOT be covered if the above conditions were not met.

Does that make any sense? It seemed kind of muddled as I typed it out, LOL.

Hope that helps someone else out.

Any medical condition that might require you to use the insurance (heaven forbid your child ends up with a severe allergic reaction to something and needs to be airlifted) is considered a "pre existing condition" but if the situation hasn't changed during the lookback period and any meds are consistent, you will usually be fine.

Many of us don't want to commit the money for insurance until we're sure we're actually going on the cruise. But with any sort of medical condition that might require action, it's best to purchase as soon as you put your deposit down. You can always amend the policy to add in airfare later on.

Archived