Only toilet trained children in pools

papadave

The U.S. Public Service Center for Disease Control publishes the Vessel Sanitation Program Operations Manual which specifically covers this issue. It is available on line (http://www.cdc.gov) and states Children in diapers OR WHO ARE NOT TOILET TRAINED are not permitted in the public swimming pools and whirlpool spas. (emphasis added), Section 6.4.1.3.1

NCL customer service and corporate have not been able to explain why they omit the language concerning children who are not toilet trained in their regulation of swimming pools. If you read the NCL dailies or signs posted around pools you may get the impression that the regulation is aimed at eliminating diapers from the pools rather than eliminating the threat of waste contamination. On our last NCL cruise individuals supervising the pool area were instructing parents to remove children's swim diapers before putting them in the pool.

How can we get them to understand the purpose of the Center for Disease Control policy and properly implement the policy?

hey you can tell them the rule and they can come up with a unique way to implement it.

I am not swimming in that pool. BTW the reason is the feces unlike urine contain many bad things. Urine is sterile.

You know the expression "if brains were dynamite this person wouldn't have enough to blow their nose"....

I am in my 40s and have no plans to swim in that pool, but my ten year old will be upset if she isn't allowed into the fun pool with the slides just because of my concerns. I really wish this didn't bother me, but it seems to me that the CDC wouldn't have this regulation if it were not necessary. Frankly, swim diapers sound better than kids who are not toilet trained swimming without swim diapers, but I can't get into the heads of the people at NCL who do not see things that way.

I am in my 40s and have no plans to swim in that pool, but my ten year old will be upset if she isn't allowed into the fun pool with the slides just because of my concerns. I really wish this didn't bother me, but it seems to me that the CDC wouldn't have this regulation if it were not necessary. Frankly, swim diapers sound better than kids who are not toilet trained swimming without swim diapers, but I can't get into the heads of the people at NCL who do not see things that way.

the problem with any diaper is unless its water tight feces can be leached in to the water. The swim diapers do contain the mess but water still goes into and through the diaper picking up the pathogens. So it doesn't matter the water still gets contaminated.

the problem with any diaper is unless its water tight feces can be leached in to the water. The swim diapers do contain the mess but water still goes into and through the diaper picking up the pathogens. So it doesn't matter the water still gets contaminated.

Yep, consider them just like a giant tea bag.:eek:

BTW the reason is the feces unlike urine contain many bad things. Urine is sterile.

In general, however you could have a disease or infection (known or unknown) that causes it to not be sterile, so its not the best blanket statement.

For example, my urine has red blood cells, white blood cells, bacteria, sugar, and protein. Far from sterile! :)

In general, however you could have a disease or infection (known or unknown) that causes it to not be sterile, so its not the best blanket statement.

For example, my urine has ****************************Far from sterile! :)

Sorry, TMI!

If a child is not potty trained, they shouldn't be in any public pool. Period.

Get a small inflatable pool and book a balcony if the child has to wade.

roflmbo, i shouldnt even touch this topic, an adult only pool?are you kidding me? i thought there was supposed to be one, but theres always kids in it, I asked about an adult only restuarant and that went over real well(cough)

sucks pretty bad some people go w/o because some have no respect for other pax, just like the no kids in the hot tubs and then people say they didnt see the sign, its right there before you walk up the stairs.

Believe me, I'm not defending any parent who allows a non potty trained child into a cruise ship swimming pool. The rules are the rules and I completely understand why there are in place. And I support those rules. I was curious though if public swimming pools (not on cruise ships) allowed swim diapers. And I found that they did.

I just did a little net research on swim diapers and it seems that unless a child is ill and has diarhea, the swim diapers are pretty effective. So while my personal opinion is that I don't trust people to do the right thing and keep their child out of the pool when they are ill, and still support the rule, it seems as if we most likely have a lot less to worry about then we may have thought. It doesn't look as if they are a tea bag. LOL

Here's some info I found:

From the CDC website:

"Be aware that swim diapers and swim pants are not a solution for a child with diarrhea or a substitute for frequent diaper changing. It is recommended that you change your child often and make frequent trips to the toilet while swimming."

From other sources:

How Swim Diapers work: "Strong elastic around the leg holes and waistband set swim diapers apart from regular diapers. In addition, swim diapers do not contain the absorbent polymers contained in disposable diapers, nor the layers of cotton in reusable diapers, in order to prevent the over- absorption of water. The main function of swim diapers is not to absorb fecal matter and urine but to contain it, along with any virus or bacteria that may accompany it. For safety issues, public pools require the use of swim diapers. Many facilities sell the disposable kind."

A study done at UNC: "A group of researchers out of the University of North Carolina (Asheville, N.C.) decided to test the claim. They examined the solids retention effectiveness of three major brands of swim diapers as well as of conventional disposable diapers, under simulated water play conditions. Swim diapers of all three brands exhibited an approximately equal fine-solids retention capability of about 98 to 99 percent over 30 minutes of water immersion activity."

Also, regarding the issue of the blow up pools, they are a wonderful solution for smaller kids/babies. Not on the balcony, as the logistics of filling and emptying a pool on a balcony is a nightmare in my opnion. LOL But, we actually took a small blowup pool with us last March on a cruise. My grandson was 10 months old and we wanted him to be able to play and splash in the water. We simply put the pool up on the pool deck, filled it, let him play as much as he wanted, and then emptied it into a drain. It was easy, and worked great.

CG

i know how you feel, i plan on putting duck tape on my kids mouth next time before they swim in the pool , I think as long as you/they dont drink any of the feces...opps i mean water you should be okay:o

An adult only pool would be nice. In addition, adding that stuff that turns the water another color if you do pee in the water might stop the peeing.

A friend of mine was tired of his family bringing their kids to his pool. He knew they were peeing in it because they never got out. Of course they insisted they were not. He purchased some of that stuff, put it in the pool and lo and behold the water began changing colors around the sister when SHE peed. :eek:My friend pointed it out and she was so embaressed and mad that she jerked her kids out of the pool and they went home.:D

An adult only pool would be nice. In addition, adding that stuff that turns the water another color if you do pee in the water might stop the peeing.

Although urine in the water sounds (and is) disgusting, according to all the health authorities, urine isn't the problem. It's feces which of course isn't a problem with those that are potty trained.

So evidently, even though it's gross, those who pee in the pool aren't creating a health risk.

CG

Although urine in the water sounds (and is) disgusting, according to all the health authorities, urine isn't the problem. It's feces which of course isn't a problem with those that are potty trained.

So evidently, even though it's gross, those who pee in the pool aren't creating a health risk.

CG

Oh, I know...I just thought it might deter people from peeing. I don't get in public pools. It just grosses me out to much.

Lets not forget MOST public pool have chlorine water in them, which will helps in contaminates from being a problem. Where as most pools on cruise ships only have filtered ocean water (salt) in them. I think this makes quit a differance when it comes to contaminates.

As far as kids that are NOT potty trained they should never be alowed in ANY public pool. this would appear to be a common sence thing, but as the old saying goes " if it's called common sence why doesn't EVERYONE have it?"

It looked like Captain Obvious was going to respond here. Now he has removed his trousers and taken a handful of aspirin. I heard him mumbling something but alas, my hearing isn't strong enough to catch his comments from that distance.

We will need to wait for his response. I do SO hope that he starts feeling better. I'm certain that his comments will be eye-opening and helpful.

As far as kids that are NOT potty trained they should never be alowed in ANY public pool. this would appear to be a common sence thing, but as the old saying goes " if it's called common sence why doesn't EVERYONE have it?"

You're right. I should be, and most likely is, common sense. People know they shouldn't be doing it, but they do anyway.

I do have some sympathy as no one loves water more then little kids. I know that my grandson is 2 and has been taking swimming lessons and he absolutely loves the pool. Has doesn't want to get out when his swimming lesson is over. He's almost potty trained and my daugher is working like crazy to get it finished before our cruise in June cause it's going to be hard to keep him out of the pool.

Rules are rules though, I like you, I don't understand how people just ignore them.

CG

Archived