Only toilet trained children in pools

papadave

I do not use the shipboard pools nor hot tubs having seen some adults who seem to be wearing adult diapers under their swim wear:eek:. Some of these adults get into the hot tub and have drinks delivered,:mad: I know alcohol can be used as a disinfectant but ......... no thank you. If you want to use the pool, do so in the early morning, when it is cleanest.

Lets not forget MOST public pool have chlorine water in them, which will helps in contaminates from being a problem. Where as most pools on cruise ships only have filtered ocean water (salt) in them. I think this makes quit a differance when it comes to contaminates.

The CDC's Vessel Sanitation Program requires that pools with recirculated water use halogenation (chlorine). Pools that use non-recirculated sea water aren't required to be chlorinated while at sea. However, sea water pools must be drained when the ship is nearing and in port or be chlorinated. That explains why so many shipboard pools are closed in port, a disappointment for some who choose to stay aboard in port.

I do not use the shipboard pools nor hot tubs having seen some adults who seem to be wearing adult diapers under their swim wear:eek:. Some of these adults get into the hot tub and have drinks delivered,:mad: I know alcohol can be used as a disinfectant but ......... no thank you. If you want to use the pool, do so in the early morning, when it is cleanest.

If enough people wear depends in the hot tub it'll be empty when they leave and it'll get new water anyhow ;)

If enough people wear depends in the hot tub it'll be empty when they leave and it'll get new water anyhow ;)

Good point!

The amount of liquid those things can absorb is amazing so, if you see the water level going down, you can be sure some of your "tub buddies" are wearing Depends.:D

OK, who's going to be the first one to show up and explain scientifically how the water level won't be affected?:p

Good point!

The amount of liquid those things can absorb is amazing so,

Superabsorbent polymers are primarily used as an absorbent for water and aqueous solutions for diapers, adult incontinence products, feminine hygiene products, and similar applications. Undoubtedly, in these applications, superabsorbent materials will replace traditional absorbent materials such as cloth, cotton, paper wadding, and cellulose fiber.

from

http://www.eng.buffalo.edu/Courses/ce435/Diapers/Diapers.html

Superabsorbent polymers are primarily used as an absorbent for water and aqueous solutions for diapers, adult incontinence products, feminine hygiene products, and similar applications. Undoubtedly, in these applications, superabsorbent materials will replace traditional absorbent materials such as cloth, cotton, paper wadding, and cellulose fiber.

from

http://www.eng.buffalo.edu/Courses/ce435/Diapers/Diapers.html

LOL, Derfette.. doing a little light reading this evening? :D

Believe me, I'm not defending any parent who allows a non potty trained child into a cruise ship swimming pool. The rules are the rules and I completely understand why there are in place. And I support those rules. I was curious though if public swimming pools (not on cruise ships) allowed swim diapers. And I found that they did.

I just did a little net research on swim diapers and it seems that unless a child is ill and has diarhea, the swim diapers are pretty effective. So while my personal opinion is that I don't trust people to do the right thing and keep their child out of the pool when they are ill, and still support the rule, it seems as if we most likely have a lot less to worry about then we may have thought. It doesn't look as if they are a tea bag. LOL

Here's some info I found:

From the CDC website:

"Be aware that swim diapers and swim pants are not a solution for a child with diarrhea or a substitute for frequent diaper changing. It is recommended that you change your child often and make frequent trips to the toilet while swimming."

From other sources:

How Swim Diapers work: "Strong elastic around the leg holes and waistband set swim diapers apart from regular diapers. In addition, swim diapers do not contain the absorbent polymers contained in disposable diapers, nor the layers of cotton in reusable diapers, in order to prevent the over- absorption of water. The main function of swim diapers is not to absorb fecal matter and urine but to contain it, along with any virus or bacteria that may accompany it. For safety issues, public pools require the use of swim diapers. Many facilities sell the disposable kind."

A study done at UNC: "A group of researchers out of the University of North Carolina (Asheville, N.C.) decided to test the claim. They examined the solids retention effectiveness of three major brands of swim diapers as well as of conventional disposable diapers, under simulated water play conditions. Swim diapers of all three brands exhibited an approximately equal fine-solids retention capability of about 98 to 99 percent over 30 minutes of water immersion activity."

Also, regarding the issue of the blow up pools, they are a wonderful solution for smaller kids/babies. Not on the balcony, as the logistics of filling and emptying a pool on a balcony is a nightmare in my opnion. LOL But, we actually took a small blowup pool with us last March on a cruise. My grandson was 10 months old and we wanted him to be able to play and splash in the water. We simply put the pool up on the pool deck, filled it, let him play as much as he wanted, and then emptied it into a drain. It was easy, and worked great.

CG

You are a fountain of wisdom and information, thank you :)

Personally, I still think diapered kids shouldn't be in the pool, but I do appreciate this enlightening information. :)

The CDC's Vessel Sanitation Program requires that pools with recirculated water use halogenation (chlorine). Pools that use non-recirculated sea water aren't required to be chlorinated while at sea. However, sea water pools must be drained when the ship is nearing and in port or be chlorinated. That explains why so many shipboard pools are closed in port, a disappointment for some who choose to stay aboard in port.

I'm learning a lot this morning. Thank you!!

soooo.......why don't they chlorinate the water in the pools???? or at least in the kiddie pool?:confused:

Ah! Now maybe I can share some information.

As far as I know, basic amounts of chlorine wouldn't fight ecoli anyway. My girls were competitive swimmers during their entire childhood, through college. Every time their pool was used for a child's swim lesson program, and one of the kids had an accident in the pool, the pool was closed, then shocked (Mega doses of chlorine put into the pool in order to kill the bacteria). THEN it takes a while for chlorine levels to stabilize enough that people can go into the pool safely, because high levels of chlorine are really very dangerous as well. SO...even if the pools were chlorinated, it would not make people any safer if a child pooped in the pool. On a ship pool, I believe they drain the entire pool, and then scrub it out if a child has an accident in it....which usually results in a lot of angry passengers.

On a ship pool, I believe they drain the entire pool, and then scrub it out if a child has an accident in it....which usually results in a lot of angry passengers.

We had this happen on a cruise (can't remember if it was the Pearl or Gem - just know it was the slide pool). They were very quick and efficient but also seemed very thorough - they had a LOT of crew working to get it clean and filled again. People took it pretty well - better than the alternative. :eek:

This topic has been making the rounds for quite some time, and after careful thought, I've come up with a few basic "rules of the road" that I think we can all abide by:

1) If you have children under the age of 3 that are not toilet trained, please do not bring them on a cruise. If you do bring them on the cruise, don't even think of bringing them near a swimming pool for obvious reasons. This would run the risk of offending our sensibilities.

2) If you have an adult member of your party that is over the age of 75 and is either incontinent or wearing an adult diaper, please do not bring them on a cruise. If you do bring them on the cruise, don't even think of bringing them near a swimming pool for obious reasons. This would run the risk of offending our sensibilities.

3) If you, or a member of your family, is obnoxious, arrogant, or rude, please do not go on a cruise ... or, at the very least, please do not go on a cruise that the rest of us will be on for risk of offending our sensibilities.

4) If you, or a member of your family, has ever been a "chair hog", please do not go on a cruise ... or, at the very least, please do not go on a cruise that the rest of us will be on, for risk of offending our sensibilities.

5) If you plan on having ANY liquor based drink whilst on-board your next cruise, and you have ever cruised previously and been either "tipsy", "slightly sloshed", "snookered", "s-faced", or whatever the current colloquialism is ... please do not go on a cruise that that the rest of us will be on, for risk of offending our sensibilities.

6) Unless you are physically incapacitated and confined to a wheel chair, motorized scooter or some other type of mobility device, please do not feel that there is a need to cut in front of others when trying to get on the buffet line, the elevator queue, show line, or any other line on board the ship. If you do plan on doing so, please do not go on a cruise that the rest of us will be on, for risk of offending our sensibilities.

7) *Last, but not least* -- PLEASE KNOW THAT I MEANT THE ABOVE IN A FECITIOUS AND GOOD NATURED WAY. I'm just in one of my moods and felt like venting to the group on things that really get to me about a small percentage of our fellow cruise passengers ... because, of course, I do not want to risk offending anyone's sensibilities.

Michael

Crap?! You decided to go with "crap" as your word of choice?

The other word I consider would have been deleted ;)

If "house trained" pups don't go to the bathroom in the house, where don't 'toilet trained' children go to the bathroom ;)

I'm sorry, but I would have instantly told him he was not welcome in the HT without proper swimming attire...No ifs and or BUTTs (pun intended). I would not have allowed him to sink his posterior in the water! And I would have gotten very loud and assertive if he refused to listen. I would not have allowed it!!! People like that are completely uncivilized and ignorant, to say the least!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Whew, that got my blood to boilin'!! I wish I'd been there, Michael!

DT

Just curious as to how different his loosy-whiteys would be, from a pair of board shorts with mesh lining... ?

Well.. Because of this thread, I'm going to be the "pool natzi" on our April cruise.

My mantra ... "No poop for you!"

LMAO. (pun intended)

Just curious as to how different his loosy-whiteys would be, from a pair of board shorts with mesh lining... ?

I've been wondering the same thing. What's so special about a swimsuit as far as health concerns go? I'm sure it was not a pleasant sight, but then all the more reason to get him below the water line!

Archived