Solstice Cabins - Access to closets & connecting balconies

seniorladycruiser

Please help! I have booked three rooms on Solstice for a TA 4/18/10. I have gone over the sticky regarding cabins and have come up with 2 concerns. First of all, the rooms we have booked are 1215, 1211, and 1209, C1, all in a row. From the sticky I have read, cabins with sofa beds (shown on deck plan with box) have the sofa next to the balcony, and the cabins with regular sofas have the beds towards the bath next to the closet. There has been alot mentioned that with this configuration the closets are almost impossible to use. I would like to know what anyone's experience has been. I have also read that there is not a lot of storage space, and our cruise is 15 days. The other concern is that someone wrote that the balconies on deck 10 cannot be completely opened as they are partially blocked by girders. There are apparently some steel girders that go up to deck 12 that prevent full access to opening these panels, it opens but you can barely get through. This seems to happen about every 3rd cabin. We want to have one continuous open balcony for these 3 cabins. Does anyone have any info on this as well?

I would really appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks.

Nan

Please help! I have booked three rooms on Solstice for a TA 4/18/10. I have gone over the sticky regarding cabins and have come up with 2 concerns. First of all, the rooms we have booked are 1215, 1211, and 1209, C1, all in a row. From the sticky I have read, cabins with sofa beds (shown on deck plan with box) have the sofa next to the balcony, and the cabins with regular sofas have the beds towards the bath next to the closet. There has been alot mentioned that with this configuration the closets are almost impossible to use. I would like to know what anyone's experience has been. I have also read that there is not a lot of storage space, and our cruise is 15 days. The other concern is that someone wrote that the balconies on deck 10 cannot be completely opened as they are partially blocked by girders. There are apparently some steel girders that go up to deck 12 that prevent full access to opening these panels, it opens but you can barely get through. This seems to happen about every 3rd cabin. We want to have one continuous open balcony for these 3 cabins. Does anyone have any info on this as well?

I would really appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks.

Nan

I think the bed/sofa next to the closet is every other cabin having nothing to do with sofa beds. The closet space is really small. Don't plan on hanging 15 days of clothes in the closet.

Sorry

solsticecloset.jpg

Edited by seasearider

Don't know about the balconies but if you take those big robes out of the closet and hang them on a hook in the room you will have more room. We went for a week and had more than enough space. For 15 days you will have to use the space above the bed for extra storage. There are shelves in the bathroom with a door that I used for underware and nightgowns. That saved a drawer. My husband did the same. Sure miss the nitestand drawers though. There is not as much storage in these cabins as we are used to but if you are creative it works.

Pat

I think you are worrying for nothing, unless you over pack. The right side of the closet you can you for hanging "long" things, the left side for shirts and such, there are shelves under the safe. There are also 5 drawers under the television but the first drawer is really "hot" we each had a drawer for underwear and bathing suits, we kept t-shirt and shorts over the bed. The bedside stands had 3 shelves. I had a cold during our trip and kept a box of kleenex on the top and there was still room for a glass of water and my specs, I kept books on the other two shelves. There is plenty of storage under the bed for you luggage and your life vests are in a basket.

There is plenty of room for two.

Being petite I put the life jackets above the bed and used hte white bin for shoes. I found it easier to pull that out then get them in the closet. Ised al lhe drwaer space I had and the cabinet above hte fridge for stuff. you could put a lot there. the drawer with the hair dryer was a wasted drawer.

I also kept some clothes in the suitcase in case I wanted them.

My closet had the long on the left and short on the right. having the safe almsot to the floor was worse then lack of storage. hard enough for me- I felt for the 70 year old.

Thank you all so much for the info. Thank you seasearider for the picture of the closet that really helps. The other comments about not to worry have also helped. I can get rather obsessive because I do all of the planning for our group of 6 and I feel responsible for making the best choices. I did look at RCCL and they have a similar TA next year almost the same itinerary with a junior suite at about the almost the same price as CC1 class, so this is a possibility as well. It really is my second choise but an extra 100 ft. is enticing.

Thank all of you as your comments have really calmed me down.

Nan

Thank you all so much for the info. Thank you seasearider for the picture of the closet that really helps. The other comments about not to worry have also helped. I can get rather obsessive because I do all of the planning for our group of 6 and I feel responsible for making the best choices. I did look at RCCL and they have a similar TA next year almost the same itinerary with a junior suite at about the almost the same price as CC1 class, so this is a possibility as well. It really is my second choise but an extra 100 ft. is enticing.

Thank all of you as your comments have really calmed me down.

Nan

I just was in a JS for 5 nights. it is huge-navagator-loved the cabin but found Ceelbrity is more my type. RCI has to many loud speakers all day long.

the restaurants are great,pool area is calming.

It sounds like I could deal with the closet after hearing all the creative storage ideas. I would still like to hear about the balconies. I really want to go on this ship vs. RCCL. We have been on the Constellation a couple of times and love Celebrity. The decision comes down to room size vs ship. Solstice is the winner in the ship category, and RCCL in the cabin.

Nan

It sounds like I could deal with the closet after hearing all the creative storage ideas. I would still like to hear about the balconies. I really want to go on this ship vs. RCCL. We have been on the Constellation a couple of times and love Celebrity. The decision comes down to room size vs ship. Solstice is the winner in the ship category, and RCCL in the cabin.

Nan

What Royal ship are you looking at?

• 4 years later...

Hi there - I know it's been a bit since you posted about the balconies on the 10th floor. I am booked on the Solstice rooms 1215/1217 and wanted to make sure we could open up the balconies as we are traveling together. Do you have any feedback or information on your experience with the balconies not the Solstice, 10th floor? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Recently off 14 day Eclispe. Had more than enough room in closet ( and I do tend to bring too much). We did give our heavy terry cloth robes to our cabin attendant to take away. My husband put his shorts, tees and golf style shirt in bin above bed, I also put tops up there. We prefer bed by closet ( never had difficulty getting to it) as the cabin feels bigger to us with the open area near the balcony. We do miss the draws in the night tables on the M class ships.

Enjoy your cruise.

Thank you, vickykay! The more feedback the better for me :) Do you know if your balcony was able to open up to your neighbor's balcony? You may not have been traveling with others, but thought I would ask. Thanks!

We just completed a 14 day on an S class ship and did not find the storage space an issue.

I took the life jackets out of the wire bin under the bed and put them back under the bed so I could use the bin for storage. I also asked the room steward for extra wire hangers for the closet. They use less space than the wood hangers and allow you to hang more garments.

The walls in the cabins are metal and I take along some heavy duty magnets with hooks so I can hang up extra items

You may also consider using the ship laundry service.

The cabins do alternate the bed location. The cabins without a sofa bed have the bed by the balcony.

The Celebrity S class ships are marvelous and you will enjoy your cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app