VF to SS-SZ / Good upsell ?

Mer turquoise

I just been offered an upsell for our upcoming cruise. We booked a VF gty and are offered to "upgrade" to SS-SZ category for 149$ US (169$ CDN).

Is it a good deal ? We are perfectly fine with our VF but we are tempted to treat ourselves and accept the offer. If we come up with a counter offer, is there any chances HAL would accept it ?

Thank you !

I just been offered an upsell for our upcoming cruise. We booked a VF gty and are offered to "upgrade" to SS-SZ category for 149$ US (169$ CDN).

Is it a good deal ? We are perfectly fine with our VF but we are tempted to treat ourselves and accept the offer. If we come up with a counter offer, is there any chances HAL would accept it ?

Thank you !

You're gaining an additional 140 square foot (from 249sf to 389sf - that's almost an entire additional staterooms' worth of room on some cruise lines).

For me, I'd jump on that so fast the springs would break. :D

I couldn't get a price differential for your cruise (it's in the "call for price and availability" stage) but for similiar 7-day cruises I see a difference of about $450 to $500 pp between VF and SY. On that basis, I think the $149 pp is a very good deal, and doubt that HAL would accept a lower counter-offer. But you could try!! :D

It sounds like a good deal to me.

A question for you. Did you book directly with HAL or through a TA? In 8 previous cruises we have never received an Upsell offer and I would love to see one similar to yours on our next cruise.

Have a great next cruise.

I'm on the same sailing as the OP. We were already in an SY (Superior Verandah), got an e-mail tonight with an offer to upgrade to Deluxe Verandah Suite for $399 per person. Looks like they're trying to move everyone up the ladder.

Even though it's more per person, I think we're going to try to accept the offer. I hope it's still available when I call tomorrow morning.

I'm also on the same sailing. Mer turquoise, if you don't want that deal - please please please pass it on to HAL that I do. lol

We haven't gotten our cabin assignment yet but we booked GUAR VF through Carnival Vacation Club so I'm not sure if we will even be considered for an upgrade.

SC_Sam, FYI - HAL is doing a Meet and Greet for those on our roll-call....please come join us. Here's the link for info http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=854861. Let me know if you are interested and I'll add you to the list. We're definitely a fun group and well age diverse.

I'm also on the same sailing. Mer turquoise, if you don't want that deal - please please please pass it on to HAL that I do. lol

We haven't gotten our cabin assignment yet but we booked GUAR VF through Carnival Vacation Club so I'm not sure if we will even be considered for an upgrade.

SC_Sam, FYI - HAL is doing a Meet and Greet for those on our roll-call....please come join us. Here's the link for info http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=854861. Let me know if you are interested and I'll add you to the list. We're definitely a fun group and well age diverse.

Hollyday,

I've actually been lurking (or is it skulking) the rollcall for many months now. I can't believe how active it's been.

Feel free to add Pamela and Sam to the list. We're in our 40s, from SC. We're traveling by ourselves - no more family or group cruises!

I can't promise we'll attend the meet and greet. I'm afraid once we're onboard, we tend to park ourselves by the pool.

We can't wait for this trip. We've been slammed at work (won't complain about either having a job or being busy). It just seems we have to work twice as hard for two to three weeks before and after a cruise just to be away for a week. It's still worth it though.

Regards,

Sam

Hollyday,

I've actually been lurking (or is it skulking) the rollcall for many months now. I can't believe how active it's been.

Feel free to add Pamela and Sam to the list. We're in our 40s, from SC. We're traveling by ourselves - no more family or group cruises!

I can't promise we'll attend the meet and greet. I'm afraid once we're onboard, we tend to park ourselves by the pool.

We can't wait for this trip. We've been slammed at work (won't complain about either having a job or being busy). It just seems we have to work twice as hard for two to three weeks before and after a cruise just to be away for a week. It's still worth it though.

Regards,

Sam

Will do. Hope you can make it. Jon and I are also mid-40s to early-50s and by ourselves this time. I know what you mean about work, can't complain because you have a job. I'm slammed as well. Two people doing what 3 used to do and it should have been 4 at that time. I'll add you to the roll-call list and if you and Pamela can make it to the M&G please feel welcome.

wwinfl91, we booked directly with HAL.

Hollyday, may be you will hear from Carnival Vacation Club tomorrow ? I received the offer tonight. They must have known we were going absolutly crazy checking our "online check in" at least 5 times a day....:eek:

Thank you everyone for your answers !

I'm on the same sailing as the OP. We were already in an SY (Superior Verandah), got an e-mail tonight with an offer to upgrade to Deluxe Verandah Suite for $399 per person. Looks like they're trying to move everyone up the ladder.

Even though it's more per person, I think we're going to try to accept the offer. I hope it's still available when I call tomorrow morning.

We are in an SY as well, I emailed my TA to see if we can upsell (our last two cruises were in an SA and it's definitely worth the extra $399 IMO).

I was booked in a VE Cabin for our Alaska Westerdam cruise in August which we booked through a TA. I found an SY cabin on Cruise.com for about the same price we booked the VE Cabin. Called the TA and we received the SY for 100.00 pp (2 of us) and no additional charge for my daughter (3rd person). I just did the switch this past weekend. So YES definately a good upsell.

I called this morning and took the upsell. It looks like on most sailings of this itinerary, the SA is $1,000 per person more than the SY. So...

I spent $800, but saved $1,200. Right? LOL

Seriously, the only thing I'm worried about is ever getting my wife into anything less.

Thank you !

Great deal do it!!!:D:D

I was booked in an SY Category last November on the Oosterdam and was able to go up to an SA. I went to look at the SY category and saw my friend's cabin (VF) category and there is a major difference in size. Definitely, go for at least the SY or as high as you can go. The service with the benefits of the Neptune Lounge in categories SA, SB & SC is super. But, I would have been happy with the SY cause of its size being so much better that the typical balcony categories.

GO FOR IT! YOU WILL LOVE IT!

Wife and I are sailing on this ship on 4/12 as well. We were offered from a Balcony to the Suite for 149 per. I was on the phone 959am EST and 1000EST and we upgraded it for that money. This is our first HAL cruise be have been on NCL three times and Princess 12.

Looking forward to comparing this trip and ship to a Princess.

See some of you soon!

We called HAL first time this morning. We had decided to accept the offer at 169$ CDN but wanted to offer a lower price to see if they would accept it. They didn't but we got to choose our suite from what was available. We ended up with a SS in the middle of the ship (and not right under the lido pool, which is good I think...). We are very happy with our stateroom ! I also think the exchange rate offered by HAL was pretty good so it was another reason why we could not refuse the offer. Thanks again everyone for all your answers !

Oh man, I wish we had gotten that price for the upgrade we were just offered. Not that it was much more ($229 pp+tax) but I think we would have gone for it at that price. I asked our TA to keep an eye out for a cheaper price. Glad you went for it!:D

Vegasgirl00, are you sure about the taxes ? We also tought we had to add taxes to the price we got. However, the invoice we received from HAL after we took the upsell is only 338$ higher (2 x 169$) than our previous invoice. It looks like taxes are included in the price they offer you ...

We called HAL first time this morning. We had decided to accept the offer at 169$ CDN but wanted to offer a lower price to see if they would accept it. They didn't but we got to choose our suite from what was available. We ended up with a SS in the middle of the ship (and not right under the lido pool, which is good I think...). We are very happy with our stateroom ! I also think the exchange rate offered by HAL was pretty good so it was another reason why we could not refuse the offer. Thanks again everyone for all your answers !

It looks like we will be neighbors, we just upgraded to SS mid ship.

I called this morning and the SY was sold out so we took the SS. I had to sneak in the ladies room at work at 10 this morning with my cell phone to call. I was afraid they would go fast and we would loose out if I waited. How can you think about work when you have a vacation to plan. LOL See you on board and hopefully the noro will be a thing of the past.

Archived