Zumba on Explorer??

Anyone recently off Explorer...did you happen to notice if they offered Zumba classes onboard? I know they started offering it on another ship (I think it was the Naviagator??) and it would be awesome if they offered it also on Explorer, because I am pretty much beyond addicted to it, lol. :p

Sounds more like a drink that a witch doctor would concoct rather than a room catagory. I was on the Explorer a few years ago and never heard of it. Why not just go to rccl.com and check it out?

Because their website doesn't mention which ship has what exercise classes. Definitely NOT a room category. ;)

definitely NOT on the 2/22 cruise.

Ok thanks. I know they had pretty much just started it on the other ship. I have friends boarding the Explorer this coming Friday, but they don't use the gym and I have a feeling if I ask them to check the Compass for it they're bound to forget. :p

What exactly is it? Thanks!

Zumba is a class offered at gyms. It's mostly an hour of Latin style high energy dancing, with some other types of styles thrown in also. It's an absolute blast! It is like you're at a party for an hour, and the huge benefit is that I burn more calories in that class than any other ever. But on the other hand, you can make it as low impact or high impact as you want, therefore the class is for everyone, no matter what you're fitness level.

Here is a video of a class, although this particular class is very low impact compared to ours:

Wow, I hope what I'm reading is true!!! I called C&A last year and asked them to check into getting Zumba onboard their ships (like Yoga) and they said they would pass it on. We'll be on the Explorer the end of May and I hope they have it. We have it down at work on our lunch hour once a week as part of our wellness program and could easily be done poolside like line dancing. What fun! For anybody who has an interest, just check out http://www.zumba.com. If anyone knows for sure if it's offered, please post! Thanks!

Wow, I hope what I'm reading is true!!! I called C&A last year and asked them to check into getting Zumba onboard their ships (like Yoga) and they said they would pass it on. We'll be on the Explorer the end of May and I hope they have it. We have it down at work on our lunch hour once a week as part of our wellness program and could easily be done poolside like line dancing. What fun! For anybody who has an interest, just check out www.zumba.com. If anyone knows for sure if it's offered, please post! Thanks!

Hey Debbie! Ah...someone who appreciates it as much as me! Or, the better word is 'obsessed' lol. But they definitely do have it on one ship, and if they don't have it on Explorer I'll definitely ask them about it in a couple weeks!

Yes Christie -- obsessed is the word! At least if it is on the ship I won't get out of my routine. I even told the girl at C&A it shouldn't be hard to find someone certified in Zumba since it originated in the islands!

Zumba is a class offered at gyms. It's mostly an hour of Latin style high energy dancing, with some other types of styles thrown in also. It's an absolute blast! It is like you're at a party for an hour, and the huge benefit is that I burn more calories in that class than any other ever. But on the other hand, you can make it as low impact or high impact as you want, therefore the class is for everyone, no matter what you're fitness level.

Here is a video of a class, although this particular class is very low impact compared to ours:

Wow! that looks like alot of fun!!! I hope they have it on your ship and mine! :)

Yes it is soooo much fun! I have a whole Zumba playlist on my iPod so even when I'm away I can do the whole routine. Although, I might look a little goofy dancing to myself in an empty aerobics studio! :p Then again, who cares, right? :D

No zumba classes on 2/22 cruise but I will tell you this Nick and Renee, the fitness guys on Explorer, are the best I have seen on any ship so far. I took stretching classes, aerobics (not step), total body conditioning, spinning, and Pilates classes and they were all outstanding because of the expertise of these two. :)

Anyone recently off Explorer...did you happen to notice if they offered Zumba classes onboard? I know they started offering it on another ship (I think it was the Naviagator??) and it would be awesome if they offered it also on Explorer, because I am pretty much beyond addicted to it, lol. :p

Christie you need to sail on the Independence this fall on the TA, my wife a certified Zumba instructor always works on new dances for her classes on the TA in the Dungeon or whatever the bar is called during the day. She is going to a Beto event in 10 days for some personalized instruction. She is very good. You could have free classes for the whole cruise. :D

jc

No zumba classes on 2/22 cruise but I will tell you this Nick and Renee, the fitness guys on Explorer, are the best I have seen on any ship so far. I took stretching classes, aerobics (not step), total body conditioning, spinning, and Pilates classes and they were all outstanding because of the expertise of these two.

Good to know!!!! If fact one of my most favorite step classes was held on my very first Explorer cruise.

Christie you need to sail on the Independence this fall on the TA, my wife a certified Zumba instructor always works on new dances for her classes on the TA in the Dungeon or whatever the bar is called during the day. She is going to a Beto event in 10 days for some personalized instruction. She is very good. You could have free classes for the whole cruise. :D

jc

Unlimited Zumba AND a cruise?? HEAVEN!!! :D :D :D

Maybe you could just go to Boleros and improvise? I don't know if free weights are involved, but perhaps you could substitute mojitos instead? :) Have a great time!

Zumba and Mojitos....definitely have to try that combo. :p

Christie, I always love your reviews and funny comments, so I can't wait to hear a full report. Please have a mojito for me!

Thanks! :p And I will for sure have a Mojito for you...or two! :eek: We'll have to cruise together sometime.

P.S. jc - I'm going to master Zumba class with Tanya next week! WOO HOO!!!

Christie are you an instructor or just a rabid class attendee? My wife, started teaching Pilates and this led to Zumba because she loves to dance. She did this after finally getting tired of getting post graduate degrees. She has a wondeful full time job, but she bores really easily. This keeps her occuppied.:D

jc

Christie are you an instructor or just a rabid class attendee? My wife, started teaching Pilates and this led to Zumba because she loves to dance. She did this after finally getting tired of getting post graduate degrees. She has a wondeful full time job, but she bores really easily. This keeps her occuppied.:D

jc

I have been trying to get certified for months! The one class that was held around here sold out in the blink of an eye.

THEN....last month I find out that there is a certification being held in my VERY OWN gym, in my own backyard, but guess where I'll be? On a cruise!!!!!!!! Not that I am bummed, mind you, just frustrated. A certification class in my own gym and I'll be on Explorer. Everything always happens on the same stinking dates in my life!! :mad: lol

Did you have to pay for the classes? if so how much?

No zumba classes on 2/22 cruise but I will tell you this Nick and Renee, the fitness guys on Explorer, are the best I have seen on any ship so far. I took stretching classes, aerobics (not step), total body conditioning, spinning, and Pilates classes and they were all outstanding because of the expertise of these two. :)

Archived