How often is there a problem with receiving luggage at your cabin?

2 stories about luggage.

We were sailing out of Pt. Canaveral and leaving our car ar the Raddison. Watching the first shuttle bus load, I saw luggage was a problem. So I tossed ours into the car and ran it over to the port and dropped it off. We took the shuttle at our scheduled time and boarded quicky. Went to the room to drop carry ons and luggage was already there.

Out of Miami we used an Avis rental, they had then an office AT the port. We were shuttled to the ship with 2 college guys. It was spring break and we had completely forgotten about that. The shuttle dropped us all at the porters station. I pulled out my money as always for the porters but the college kids REFUSED to tip the porters. I made sure the porters knew which bage were which. Our bags were at the room about 2PM. About 11:30 PM we ran into the guys at the Lido aft bar and had a drink with them. One of them said, "I'm sure glad we didn't tip those porters!" "Why?' I ask. "Because we don't have our bags YET!" he answers.

I'm CERTAIN it was just coincidence, but funny.

Dan

Too Funny!!!!:D

I couldn't help but post this funny little story that occured on my May 2008 cruise on the Ecstasy (Galveston). I was traveling with my mother, which is something I try to do every May. Anyway, my luggage was delivered to our cabin by 4pm and my mother was beginning to worry about her bag. I told her to be patient and it would arrive soon. We decided to walk down the hallway to check out the cabin we had occupied on the previous cruise (May 2007) and happened to notice a bag that looked just like hers sitting beside the door. Well, it was her bag. Not only had she used the current luggage tag, but she had neglected to remove the old tag from 2007. I had to give her grief for that one :) Who's the mother and who's the child? LOL

Happy Cruising;)

I couldn't help but post this funny little story that occured on my May 2008 cruise on the Ecstasy (Galveston). I was traveling with my mother, which is something I try to do every May. Anyway, my luggage was delivered to our cabin by 4pm and my mother was beginning to worry about her bag. I told her to be patient and it would arrive soon. We decided to walk down the hallway to check out the cabin we had occupied on the previous cruise (May 2007) and happened to notice a bag that looked just like hers sitting beside the door. Well, it was her bag. Not only had she used the current luggage tag, but she had neglected to remove the old tag from 2007. I had to give her grief for that one :) Who's the mother and who's the child? LOL

Happy Cruising;)

Be careful though, LOL - the apple does not fall very far from the tree!! :D

Tom

My girlfriend and I were on the Fantasy last March with another couple and a few hours after we got on the boat, everyone's luggage started to arrive... except mine. At about 6:00pm I decided to go to the front desk to ask about it. Our cabin was on the Empress Deck, so I literally just had to walk down the hallway, and turn the corner to get to the main atrium. On my way there, I walked down a hallway just off the atrium and there were about twenty bags sitting there. My two bags were just sitting right in the middle! No one was around, so I just grabbed them and walked back to my room. Pretty cool if you ask me! I thought I was going to be in for hours of searching.

Come to find out, my tags had fallen off. (Even though I used the same industrial, space-aged, packing materials that everyone else had used to affix their tags) Oh well... it was harmless.

Lost the tags on my bag on my first cruise. They made an announcement that if you hadn't received your bags, come to the atrium and pick through the luggage. I should have viewed that as an opportunity to go shopping but played it honest instead.

I also had a bag end up in the "naughty room". They wanted me to open up a cigarette case I had in there to make sure I wasn't packing anything illegal, which I wasn't. They did compliment me on my matching cigarette case and lighter though.

If for some reason the luggage tag does come off, all you have to do is go to or call the pursers desk and describe what your bags look like. They will find them and get them to your cabin.

As I just learned today (thanks to Cruise Critic, not Carnival!) that we need to print luggage tags through Carnival, I have some questions about them! I see that there are directions on them as how to fold them, etc., but do we put them on it ourselves or do the porters do it when we get there? I want my embarkation to go as smoothly as possible so we can go enjoy our first cruise ASAP! =) Do people just tape them together, or...? Seems like they would fall off pretty easily seeing as how they're just made of computer paper...

Sorry, I know this is random thing to be concerned about! Thanks =)

We did not get one of our bags delivered the first night. After visiting the information desk and looking through their stragglers....still no luck. We were told that if it wasn't in front of our door in the morning to come back. Woke up...no bag. I went back down and they told us that they would put out a memo about it to other passengers and would give us certificates to use in the gift shop for toilettries and clothing. I still wasn't satisfied that the search was moving at a fast enough pace, so I started roaming the halls. We were on Main deck and I found it up on Empress outside the same cabin number but different deck.

As I just learned today (thanks to Cruise Critic, not Carnival!) that we need to print luggage tags through Carnival, I have some questions about them! I see that there are directions on them as how to fold them, etc., but do we put them on it ourselves or do the porters do it when we get there? I want my embarkation to go as smoothly as possible so we can go enjoy our first cruise ASAP! =) Do people just tape them together, or...? Seems like they would fall off pretty easily seeing as how they're just made of computer paper...

In New Orleans, last March, we put ours on at the hotel before the taxi arrived. I don't want to tell you wrong, but I don't think the porters are supposed to do it. We were all under the impression that the tags need to be SECURELY attached before arriving at the port. Those porters hit the ground running when you get out of the cab. I can't imagine them wanting to take the time to help with tags. But then again, this was just our experience... I could be mistaken.

It just seemed a lot easier to deal with it at the hotel. We exited the cab, our porter grabbed our luggage, I handed him some cash, and that was that. Took about 5 minutes.

Not a random question at all. Get some clear packing tape -- the stuff on the red plastic reel with the serrated edge works well. Fold them as directed and then cover them with the tape. Wrap them as directed around your bag handle and then staple them or tape them securely into place. I usually take a permanent marker and mark 1/4, 2/4 or how many number bags I have to make sure I have everything.

Not a random question at all. Get some clear packing tape -- the stuff on the red plastic reel with the serrated edge works well. Fold them as directed and then cover them with the tape. Wrap them as directed around your bag handle and then staple them or tape them securely into place. I usually take a permanent marker and mark 1/4, 2/4 or how many number bags I have to make sure I have everything.

Thank you so much!

Hasn't happened to us yet, but on our first cruise, one of our table mates was missing her bag. Turns out Carnival loaded it onto the wrong ship! Her luggage was on the Valor headed to the Eastern Caribbean...lol. They somehow managed to get it to her by the 3rd day, while we were docked in Coz. Unfortunately for her, it was only a 4 day cruise. She ended up shopping in Key West to get clothes and a bathing suit to wear on the cruise in case her bag didn't make it to her. She was really sweet though, and while we all felt bad for her, she had a good attitude about it, and never complained. She was just happy to be on vacation (even if she didn't have any clothes...lol).

On our last cruise this past January we got 2 out of 3 bags. Finally a 3rd bag arrived but it wasn't ours. So I thought I'd be nice and delivered it to the correct room since the tag was still on it. And guess what?? I found my 3rd bag on the way back from delivering the other misplaced one. It was just sitting there at someone else's door. I'm thinking they were not paying too much attention that day. LOL

Our first cruise though was perfect. No problems at all.

Also, regarding porters and tags.....we had our own tags that we printed at home on 2 bags only. When we arrived at the port, the porter that helped us actally had a bunch in his hand....gave us one and even supplied a pen, told us to fill it out and attach it. He came back a couple of mins later and took care of our bags. He was very nice and we were happy with his service. Wish I could remember who he was....

Just a quick tip......Besides my luggage tag, I take a piece of duct tape and write the name of our ship and cabin number. This way if the tap comes off, that duct tape is there to help. It doesn't come off unless you take it off.

good idea ...duct tape ..wow

Zilch, zero, very good point and what I am trying to keep in mind, ha ha!!!!

Been on two trips and never had a problem. I have never gotten my stuff until after dinner though. So, take a back pack if you think you might need something before then. I have always checked in a little later too so that might have had something to do with getting stuff late.

I know last year there were 3 or 4 bags missing according to the flyer we got. I'm thinking they never made it on the ship because all but one showed up on our first port day, they said they brought the bags on board. The last one never showed up from what we saw/heard.

Since they brought those other bags, it made me think it was probably an airline/cruise problem not a porter problem. Like they were suppose to take the bags from the plane to the port and they didn't make it.

A few years ago, first and only cruise so far. Had our room assigned, got to the pier. Check in: we got an upgrade!!!! From inside to OV! Too cool. Finally able to go to our room, no luggage. Did a meet and greet with CC people, back to the room. No luggage. Go to eat dinner, back to the room. No luggage. Hmmmmm decided to just check out the room that we originally were supposed to be in. Yep, sitting there like it was waiting for us to come home. We just picked up our bags and took them to where they were supposed to be. Too funny. We got an upgrade but the luggage did not ROFL. Moral of story, if you get an upgrade at check in, make sure your luggage does too :p

My suggestion is pack some things of everyones in different suit cases. That way if 1 suit case goes missing then everyone still has clothes.

We have been on several cruises and have had all of our luggage arrive before 5PM every time.

For some reason, I'm experiencing some paranoia over this since it's our first cruise with a child. I'm paranoid that I'm going to give my luggage to the Miami Porter and it's not going to get to my cabin and I and DD won't have anything to wear for a week.

Are there really that many issues with them losing your luggage? Has this ever happened to anyone?

Someone talk me off the ledge please. :eek:

2 years ago I booked a GTY 8A on the Victory and upon arrival we still didn't now our room number. I went to the gentleman incharge and he gave me my tags and told me what room we were in. I placed our tags on our luggage and gave them to the porter. When I checked in I discovered that we were given the wrong room number. The person that checked us in was great. She called someone to let them know and gave us instructions to go to the pursers desk as soon as we got on the ship and let them know what happened. Our luggage arrived without any problems.

Our first 3 cruises, no problem...But on our cruise this Feb on the Fantasy...we had one bag delivered witha broken wheel! Couldn't pull it around on three..went to pursers, they took the bag and told us to look for one in Coz and they would refund us up to 50.00..Found one for 62.00..so ended up with 50.00 credit. Then on debark, porter counted our bags,took them to the Taxi...Go to hotel..taxi left..and we were one bag short!! So, what taxi company?? What taxi #?? We weren't sure of either...we went back to the terminal and talked with the porters and the taxi drivers..3 hours later, we had the porter check the terminal one more time and there it was!! Since it was a carry(on) off bag, we didn't put a tag on it..Had all of DH's electronics in it...From now on, all bags will be tagged and we will write down the taxi company and #...Lessons learned!! I have to say, the Port authority of New Orleans was awesome..A big THANKS to those guys for all the help!!:)

Archived