Travel Agent Scams?

upwarduk

I am not sure whether this is P&O at fault, or the Travel Agent that we have booked with:

I have just had an e-mail, informing me that my payment is due for our Cruise ( 16 weeks to go before the Cruise) J910 Fiords & Iceland- Arcadia

So I have got out my paper work and it is as I thought , 'Balance due 07.05.09'- 6 weeks away. I was so mad that I have spoken to the Travel Agent , who said:

"New bookings are now paying 14 weeks beforehand, but as yours is an old booking, you can pay on the due date, but we are informing everyone 16 weeks before, that their balance is due."

I have looked in the 2009 P&O brochure & you only loose your deposit if you cancel 57 days( 8.1 weeks before) departure.

I am not sure whether this has been changed since my 2009 brochure was printed.

But, to my mind it is the Travel agent who is 'trying it on.'

Fortunately, they will not be making too much money out of their customers, with the interest rate in uK as low as it is.

I am sailing on Oceana June 20th, noticed from initial paperwork via T/A that my balance is due 28th this month. So far not had a reminder from T/A, as I did with my first cruise.

I hope they don't automatically deduct it from card I paid deposit on.:mad:

I am not sure whether this is P&O at fault, or the Travel Agent that we have booked with:

I have just had an e-mail, informing me that my payment is due for our Cruise ( 16 weeks to go before the Cruise) J910 Fiords & Iceland- Arcadia

So I have got out my paper work and it is as I thought , 'Balance due 07.05.09'- 6 weeks away. I was so mad that I have spoken to the Travel Agent , who said:

"New bookings are now paying 14 weeks beforehand, but as yours is an old booking, you can pay on the due date, but we are informing everyone 16 weeks before, that their balance is due."

I have looked in the 2009 P&O brochure & you only loose your deposit if you cancel 57 days( 8.1 weeks before) departure.

I am not sure whether this has been changed since my 2009 brochure was printed.

But, to my mind it is the Travel agent who is 'trying it on.'

Fortunately, they will not be making too much money out of their customers, with the interest rate in uK as low as it is.

They are reminding you payment is due, I don't think they are trying it on?

They need a few weeks to 'gather in' all the payments, clear your cheques and then post of monies to p&o... they are not going to make much out of you cheque final balance payment for a week or two at todays zitch interest rates...

You could ring a few other TA's and ask what their payment times are to compare?

TA's always want their money earlier than p&O would if you booked with them. We have always paid well in advance. I thought this was how they made some money off you ( when the price is a whole lot less than P&O usually) except of course there isn't any interest on the cash now anyway so it really doesn't matter.

Caryl

Sounds like a fuss about nothing to me! Let's say you paid £5K for the whole thing. Interest on that at most 3&, is £2.67 a week. Give me a break. What a fuss. :-(

jeanlyon,

'Give me a break, what a fuss'

Maybe others may be grateful that I have highlighted this issue, even if you aren't.

You are obviously not a pensioner!

Now -a-days pensioners have to watch every penny, as we have lost so much through no fault of our own.

My husband was 65 recently, but now he cannot retire fully.

I just object to being asked to pay now, a whole 6 weeks before the invoice says.

Libralass,

The TA still has 2 weeks before P&O need the payment- ample time for electronic transfer.

I consider that I ( & many others I suspect) have been taken for a ride and hope that some people on this board may be grateful for the 'heads up.'

I am sailing on Oceana June 20th, noticed from initial paperwork via T/A that my balance is due 28th this month. So far not had a reminder from T/A, as I did with my first cruise.

I hope they don't automatically deduct it from card I paid deposit on.:mad:

No, they won't do that. But if you miss the due date you could loose your cruise booking and deposit.:eek:

ITS DUE IN 3 DAYS TIME???? Better sort it out TOMORROW!!!

jeanlyon,

Libralass,

The TA still has 2 weeks before P&O need the payment- ample time for electronic transfer.

I consider that I ( & many others I suspect) have been taken for a ride and hope that some people on this board may be grateful for the 'heads up.'

Perhaps you (and I !!! ) don't know the admin workings of a internet TA?

But, as I mentioned before, they need a week or too to contact cruisers with payment due/ or remind them to pay, and then perhaps after that they have to wait for YOUR and others cheques to clear , another 5 working days...

As we have discussed , with interest rates so low now - some ISA's under 1%, you are not loosing much interest and they are not gaining much atall ..

Upward

Perhaps try a different TA next time?

I have a friend who is a Cruise TA, I'll ask their opinion , it does seem rather early I agree.

I always shop around & this time I considered I got the best deal- even £100 off for writing a Cruise Review + a Berlitz Cruise book.

I think that by being asked for payment 16 weeks before we cruise, we are paying at least for the book.

I don't think P&O would like to hear about this; I am sure the TA would NOT like to loose their 10% from P&O.

Libralass,

I would be interested in hearing what your TA friend thinks.

His remarks are:

16 week is stunning!!

Cruise lines want it 8 weeks

WE ask it 10 weeks along with many other agents

Some agents 12 weeks which I think is on the limit of reasonable.

14 & 16 weeks is greed, pure and simple.

OR is it just greed?

Perhaps another reason a TA might be wanting more money earlier is because that company has got financial problems and need money quickly...either to cover a short term cash flow problem or as a panic measure to try and solve a long term problem.

(the above is speculation on my part).

His remarks are:

16 week is stunning!!

Cruise lines want it 8 weeks

WE ask it 10 weeks along with many other agents

Some agents 12 weeks which I think is on the limit of reasonable.

14 & 16 weeks is greed, pure and simple.

OR is it just greed?

Perhaps another reason a TA might be wanting more money earlier is because that company has got financial problems and need money quickly...either to cover a short term cash flow problem or as a panic measure to try and solve a long term problem.

(the above is speculation on my part).

My thoughts exactly!

Many, many thanks Libralass for your very prompt reply. I did wonder if they were in financial difficulties.

I am just glad that we paid with a Credit Card, just in case they go bust.

However I am sure P&O will honour the booking. They won't want to loose passengers

My thoughts exactly!

Many, many thanks Libralass for your very prompt reply. I did wonder if they were in financial difficulties.

I am just glad that we paid with a Credit Card, just in case they go bust.

However I am sure P&O will honour the booking. They won't want to loose passengers

Oh-Eck Jacky--I think I may have booked with the same TA as you.

I have just payed my balance -16 weeks before we cruise!!!!! (did not think to question it).

For the first time ever I paid with my debit card -now I'm worried :(.

Regards.

Taffygirl

For the first time ever I paid with my debit card -now I'm worried :(.

Taffygirl

Assuming your t/a is a member of ABTA, you are covered anyway. And if you paid the deposit by credit card, provided it was over £100, you are covered for the whole amount.

Mary

Archived