balcony upgrade Carnival Splendor

msev

Can anyone tell me how they determine what cabin you will be assigned? We took two cruises last year on Carnival and are going on the Splendor in April and we booked a balcony cabin. We thought we would get an upgrade but it seems they have put us toward the back of the ship. My cousin who booked an ocean view cabin was upgraded to a spa balcony cabin, and they had only been on one cruise. When I recieved my travel booklet the luggage tags only had TBD and no cabin number. I was given our cabin number when I completed my Fun Pass. I have to say I was a little disappointed.

Mildred

4/24/04 Holiday

11/13/04 Glory

12/03/05 Legend

3/14/08 Miracle

11/1/08 Luberty

Sounds like you booked a guarantee balcony...you can be placed in any balcony cabin booking that way...no rhyme or reason to upgrades..they may have needed the ocean view cabin for someone, so upgraded them to make the cabin free. Really no reason to be dissapointed...you received a balcony and that is what you booked. Guarantees are not for everyone..if you think you will be dissapointed, book a specific room that you will be happy with.

I have to say I was a little disappointed.

Mildred

Mildred:

There's no rhyme or reason to cabin assignments when you do a guarantee. It doesn't matter if this is your first cruise or if you've cruised 50 times, you don't get special treatment. Any past guest "perks" that you may have, you give up the moment that you choose to save some money by booking a "guarantee" rate instead of paying more for the cabin you actually want.

With that said? Why are you dissapointed? You got a balcony, right? Isn't that what you booked? As my PVP says, when booking a guarantee, look for the worst cabin in the worst location within the minimum category you selected. If that cabin is good for you, then the guarantee option is for you. Otherwise, you can be in for a lot of dissapointment...

Can anyone tell me how they determine what cabin you will be assigned? We took two cruises last year on Carnival and are going on the Splendor in April and we booked a balcony cabin. We thought we would get an upgrade but it seems they have put us toward the back of the ship. My cousin who booked an ocean view cabin was upgraded to a spa balcony cabin, and they had only been on one cruise. When I recieved my travel booklet the luggage tags only had TBD and no cabin number. I was given our cabin number when I completed my Fun Pass. I have to say I was a little disappointed.

Mildred

To answer your question, No - It is one of the great mysteries of life.

I read this all the time, that first timers get fabulous upgrades and those on Carnival that cruise all the time dont. Maybe they figure they already have us hooked so no sense bothering giving us good upgrades, I dont know.

Im sorry you didnt get a upgrade you are happy with, but anything over a 8A is a upgrade in Carnival terms. Go and enjoy, nothing you can do now that you got assigned. Print out new luggage tags online if you want to attach them now.

Booking a guarantee is just that, a guarantee that you will receive a cabin in the category that you booked. It does not automatically bump you up to a suite. We would never take the chance of a guarantee cabin since it is important to us where we are on the ship.

You should never, ever book a guarantee cabin unless you are willing to accept the very worst cabin in that category.....because that may be what you end up with.

No reason to be mad about it......you were guaranteed a bacony cabin and you got assigned a balcony cabin.

Too many people book a guarantee, EXPECTING to get an upgrade. Doesn't usually happen. Also, it really doesn't seem to matter whether you've taken numerous Carnival cruises or not.

If you decide to cruise with Carnival again, it might be better for you to book a specific cabin....that way you can choose exactly where you want to be on the ship. Good luck, and I hope you enjoy your cruise! :)

Mildred,

I love the back of the ship. It is being like rocked to sleep every night. I know the back of the ship is popular due to the fact all of my cabins have went up in classification and price. I would never book a GTY due to the fact that I may get in the front of the ship...which I don't want. Enjoy your cruise and have fun! that is the most important part. I was on the Carnival Splendor in December and loved her!

Julie

:mad: If you love pink polka dots - then you'll love the "Splendor"! Splendor was our second Carnival cruise...and, our last! After our first Carnival cruise on the Jubilee we swore never again...but, after 10 years of cruising we decided to give Carnival a second chance! What a complete waste of money!:rolleyes: Heaven help you if you have any kind of mobility disability. None of their shore excursions were available for handicap people. In fact, the ship is handicap unfriendly. The food is mediocre at best and the ship's staff (except for those anticipating a tip) we're down right nasty. There are too many wonderful ships out there to even think about wasting your hard earned money on a Carnival cruise.

Mildred

4/24/04 Holiday

11/13/04 Glory

12/03/05 Legend

3/14/08 Miracle

11/1/08 Luberty

I sailed on Carnival three times last year and I'll sail on Carnival four times this year and I never count on an upgrade.

If I don't like the minimum cabin in the category I book I wouldn't do a guarantee...

:)

:mad: If you love pink polka dots - then you'll love the "Splendor"! Splendor was our second Carnival cruise...and, our last! After our first Carnival cruise on the Jubilee we swore never again...but, after 10 years of cruising we decided to give Carnival a second chance! What a complete waste of money!:rolleyes: Heaven help you if you have any kind of mobility disability. None of their shore excursions were available for handicap people. In fact, the ship is handicap unfriendly. The food is mediocre at best and the ship's staff (except for those anticipating a tip) we're down right nasty. There are too many wonderful ships out there to even think about wasting your hard earned money on a Carnival cruise.

Humm... I sailed on the Splendor in November and I thought the ship was brilliant and a great value. Sorry you didn't enjoy it but I'm glad you found your way here to let us know about it in your first post!!

:)

While I dont think that the Conquest was very friendly to being mobility handicapped, we managed. I cruised with two disabled on Conquest and we managed. I did book a higher deck this next time mid ship to cut down on walking to see if I like it better.

I liked Ecstasy a smaller ship just for this very reason, it wasnt such a big deal getting around. I dont think any ship is all that helpfull to those mobility challenged, so I would cruise them all in the future. The pool deck is especially difficult because you cant grab onto anything when you need to cross by the pool. sorry you were unhappy.

Mildred,

I love the back of the ship. It is being like rocked to sleep every night. I know the back of the ship is popular due to the fact all of my cabins have went up in classification and price. I would never book a GTY due to the fact that I may get in the front of the ship...which I don't want. Enjoy your cruise and have fun! that is the most important part. I was on the Carnival Splendor in December and loved her!

Julie

I second this! We LOVED our back of the ship stateroom (though we were not on Splendor). The hallways are VERY quiet, as there is not a lot of "thru" traffic, and we just loved the whole experience.

Archived