RCCL now charging kids to eat at camp?

I wonder if they are just using the Monarch and Majesty on a trial basis and maybe will roll this out to some of the other ships??? Is that something RC does? We'll be on FOS in February and stopping in Labadee, so my daughter would love this option! :D

Yeah I don't know why they are just rolling it out for Monarch and Majesty. I guess it's like you said, they can test it first.

And yes, they do test things on ships before they release it fleet wide.

I just went and grabbed the new releases for the kids Program. I might as well just post them all here....

Teens have endless energy and are always looking for ways to release

it.

This is what makes our Teen Kayak and Swim Adventure such a great fit. This liberating shore excursion educates them with hands-on

sea life instruction, provides them the opportunity to interact with other teens and gives them a great day of sporty fun in the sun.

Kayak & Swim Adventure

• Shore excursion offered exclusively for teens ages 12-17

• Offered on Majesty of the Seas® (CocoCay®) and Monarch of the Seas® (Labadee®) – private destinations

• Teens will learn how to use a safe, stable 2-person kayak

• See and touch a variety of amazing marine life – starfish, conch, stingrays etc…

• Afterwards, teens can swim & snorkel

• Teen barbecue lunch available prior to shore excursion (meet fellow teens & teen staff)

• 1 hour 30 minutes long

• $25 USD per person

So when does the Monarch start going to Labadee:confused:

The way I look at it.....ANY cruiseline offers MANY extras that you have to pay for. It is "US" the passengers who has to decide if they are worth the extra.

Alcoholic beverages and spa services aren't free but many many passengers partake in them WITHOUT complaint. If your family is interested in this new program, then great...use it. For the others of us(myself included and I have 2 children that would probably like to use this but ultimately I have the say so!!!) who think it isn't worth it, just skip it. IT IS A PERSONAL DECISION!!!!

When the cruiselines start charging for things that are already FREE (like the late night room service) and it is something that we have NO CHOICE over, then I will start complaining. I just see this as another option for familes. And trust me, there probably will be plenty utilizing its service.

They aren't charging you for the food; they are charging for the babysitting time for the 2 hr. period that Adventure Ocean is closed. It's similar to the after hours charges for late night. I have no problem with it.

LOL hold on wait tell someone tells you they already paid for that person in the cost of the cruise.

But it's true, you're not necessarily paying for the food part of the lunchtime session, you're paying for care when normally the adventure ocean club would be closed and the counsellors would have their lunch break.

It's no different from the optional lunch club at my DD's nursery school when she was little; you had the option of leaving your child there for lunch. You had to provide the packed lunch but pay an extra £3.50 for the hour's care provided by the staff.

I chose to do it then because it was a way of gradually getting her ready for staying for lunch at school. It wasn't compulsory, just like this isn't compulsory.

Personally, even if my DD wants to go to AO, I'd still want us to have all our meals together.

I guess people can choose whether to pay for the extra care or to look after their own children.......

• 2 weeks later...
I wondered that myself. :confused:

Did Monarch go to Labadee when it was on the West Coast? The news release is dated March 10, 2009 - so it's not old. I just don't know why it says Labadee.

I wonder if they meant Coco Cay? I know the Monarch goes there pretty regularly (it's taking us there in May! YAY!). I can't find it going to Labadee at all. Hmmmm.....

Just got off the Mariner (LA) and it was a big hit for us. Yes, we paid for it twice! They stayed IN the AO room and a box lunch was brought in.

We did the dinner as well (no charge), and they TAKE them to Johnnys.

First time we have left them this much, and I never heard them complaining:D All, they did was beg us to go each day!

I would ALWAYS go by the window (yes I'm that kind of Mom) and peek in. Everything was just fine;)

Pay or not pay. We paid for EVERYTHING else, why not an afternoon for them. It's their vaction too!

No, they were closed during lunch time on Sea Days. So this is a new option that I have never seen before.

So instead of picking the kids up for lunch on a sea day, you would just pay the $7.95 and they would take the kids to lunch.

Frankly, if I am onboard, then I am picking up my own kids. No need to pay them $7.95 to feed them.

And Johnny Rockets dinner is still free, I hope...lol.

I must be losing my mind because I could of sworn there was a charge for the AO kids to go to Johnny Rockets for dinner last December on Liberty:o

And I agree, I would rather pick them up and have lunch with them;)

They aren't charging you for the food; they are charging for the babysitting time for the 2 hr. period that Adventure Ocean is closed. It's similar to the after hours charges for late night. I have no problem with it.

You hit the nail on the head. It has nothing to do with the food it is about an additional service that you have the "option" to pay for. When they take the kids to JR's on formal night there is no charge for the food (as of our last cruise in March) so why would there be a charge for this?

[/b]

I must be losing my mind because I could of sworn there was a charge for the AO kids to go to Johnny Rockets for dinner last December on Liberty:o

And I agree, I would rather pick them up and have lunch with them;)

Well I would never say that you are "losing your mind" :p but no, we do not pay for Johnny Rockets when the kids go with the club for dinner.

4cruisecampers - welcome back! Glad you had such a nice cruise. And we are "window peekers" too. :D

[quote name='powelweb']Adventure Ocean is open 9-12, 2-5 and 7-10 on sea days, so no, lunch was not part of the program (although they had several nights where AO did dinner for the kids, usually formal nights).

AO also would take the kids to lunch on port days if they were still signed in, thus enabling the parents to participate in longer excursions.[/quote]

This is not true. We were just on the Liberty and they had exactly what the original poster described. You only paid for it if you wanted your child to stay through lunch, we never used it. You also had to sign them up before a specific time. My son said about 15 kids ate lunch with the Adventure Ocean every day.

[quote name='crusinmama06']At least 3 times during a 6/7 day cruise.[/quote]

Off the top of my head, JR was offered both formal nights on our Mariner cruise (Monday and Friday), as well as Thursday, when we were in Puerto Vallarta.

On the Explorer 9 night, it was on days 2, 4, 6, and 8 (much easier to remember!) and if my memory serves me correctly, days 2 and 6 were formal nights.

HTH!

We sailed the Enchantment in June 2008 with our two kids (4 & 7 years old) and we did not have to pay extra for them to do breakfast, lunch or dinner in the AO program. We are sailing again on RCCL (Freedom on June 7th) with our kids because we love the kids program. However, all the new add-on charges (i.e. kids meal, room service, etc) will make us do more shopping around at other cruise lines next year. Recent comparison shows that this will be the most expensive cruise for us as compared to same cabin category on other cruise lines. Freedom of the Seas appears to be priced much higher. Hope it's worth it. All of our other RCCL cruises have been great. Hope the Freedom staff does not disappoint because we will have lots of new choices next year (many new ships). Unfortunately, corporate executives do not undertand the negative effect cost cutting has on the long term bottom line.

Tom

[quote name='dutchess43']Everyone better get use to the new charges it will be be classified as RCI Ala Carte. This additional charge in MHO is a disgrace![/quote]

Yes, ever since this was first posted, I have seen the Lunch offered for Adventure Ocean.

Here are the details I have now...

[CENTER][FONT=Gotham-Ultra][SIZE=6][COLOR=#000073][FONT=Gotham-Ultra][SIZE=6][COLOR=#000073][FONT=Gotham-Ultra][SIZE=6][COLOR=#000073]Lunch & Play features:[/CENTER]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Gotham-Ultra][SIZE=5][COLOR=#000073][FONT=Gotham-Ultra][SIZE=5][COLOR=#000073][FONT=Gotham-Ultra][SIZE=5][COLOR=#000073][CENTER]For more details, ask your
Adventure® Ocean staff member.[/CENTER]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Gotham-Book][SIZE=4][FONT=Gotham-Book][SIZE=4][CENTER]With Royal Caribbean’s [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Gotham-Black][SIZE=4][FONT=Gotham-Black][SIZE=4]Lunch and Play [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Gotham-Book][SIZE=4][FONT=Gotham-Book][SIZE=4]option, kids (ages 3 – 11)
can enjoy a nutritious meal with new friends from noon till 2 p.m.
while at sea. For an additional fee of only $7.95 per child, Lunch and
Play provides Adventure Ocean® kids with lots of interactive entertainment.
And they’ll eat right too, since parents get to personally
pre-select food items for their child’s lunchbox. Lunch time and
play time no longer have to live separately with the all new Lunch
and Play option. Available on all ships.[/CENTER]
[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Gotham-Book][SIZE=3][FONT=Gotham-Book][SIZE=3][CENTER]• 2 hour Lunch & Play session offered during sea days
• Movies, cartoons and free-play time between noon and 2 p.m.
• Under the supervision of Adventure Ocean counselor
• For kids ages 3-11
• Parents registering their kids will pre-select items for their kid’s lunchbox
• Choices include: salad, ham and/or cheese sandwich;
a fruit salad, banana or apple; a cookie, serving of
potato chips, granola bar, or vegetable sticks; and a[/CENTER]
[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Gotham-Book][SIZE=3][FONT=Gotham-Book][SIZE=3][CENTER]beverage of fruit punch, milk, or water.[/CENTER]
[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Gotham-Book][SIZE=3][FONT=Gotham-Book][SIZE=3][CENTER]• $7.95 fee per child
• Available on all ships[/CENTER]
[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Gotham-Ultra][SIZE=7][COLOR=#000073][FONT=Gotham-Ultra][SIZE=7][COLOR=#000073][FONT=Gotham-Ultra][SIZE=7][COLOR=#000073][CENTER]LUNCHTIME[/CENTER]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Gotham-Ultra][SIZE=7][COLOR=#000073][FONT=Gotham-Ultra][SIZE=7][COLOR=#000073][FONT=Gotham-Ultra][SIZE=7][COLOR=#000073][CENTER]NO LONGER MEANS[/CENTER]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Gotham-Ultra][SIZE=7][COLOR=#000073][FONT=Gotham-Ultra][SIZE=7][COLOR=#000073][FONT=Gotham-Ultra][SIZE=7][COLOR=#000073][CENTER]A BREAK FROM[/CENTER]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Gotham-Ultra][SIZE=7][COLOR=#000073][FONT=Gotham-Ultra][SIZE=7][COLOR=#000073][FONT=Gotham-Ultra][SIZE=7][COLOR=#000073][CENTER]THE FUN![/CENTER]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Gotham-Light][SIZE=1][COLOR=#000073][FONT=Gotham-Light][SIZE=1][COLOR=#000073][FONT=Gotham-Light][SIZE=1][COLOR=#000073][CENTER]© 2009 Royal Caribbean International® ships registry: The Bahamas. Brilliance of the Seas® is[/CENTER]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Gotham-Light][SIZE=1][COLOR=#000073][FONT=Gotham-Light][SIZE=1][COLOR=#000073][FONT=Gotham-Light][SIZE=1][COLOR=#000073][CENTER]operated by RCL (UK) Ltd. Subsidiary of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. 09014054 • 2/13/2009[/CENTER]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='dutchess43']Everyone better get use to the new charges it will be be classified as RCI Ala Carte. This additional charge in MHO is a disgrace![/QUOTE]

Why? it's providing a service that was never offered before and is completely optional. Prior to this, on a sea day AO closed down between 12 and 2 and you had to pick your butt off of your lounge chair, go get your kids and feed and amuse them for two hours - now, they are offering to do it for you ONLY IF YOU WANT. They still keep the kids all day and feed them for nothing on port days. So, they are taking nothing away from you, but adding an optional service.

[quote name='gerif']Why? it's providing a service that was never offered before and is completely optional. [/quote]

Just another thing that WAS/IS available on competing lines, and "free".

[quote name='kooljamming']They need a much better marketing department. I am volunteering so new ad:
We at RCCL offer a special program for parent who are sick and tired of dealing with or seeing their kids during lunch. For a mere $4 per hour with a minimum of 2, we will relieve you of this burden. They will accompany other kids with parents just like you. In our outreach program and for a fee we can arrange for you not to take them at all. See detail at embarkment port.[/quote]

Perfect! :D

At that rate for $35,000 a year RCCI will take the little darlings off your hands for the full year! I know many kids who'd be better off being raised by Adventure Ocean than the parents with whom they are stuck.

I'm certain RCCI added this upon pax request -- those pax who (as a previous poster indicated) were too lazy to raise their butts off of their lounge chair to deal with their own kids.

Our DD will be just 8 and absolutley loves playing with other children.

If she wants to stop all day at the lunch and play thing, it will be her choice (not ours in an attempt to get rid of her! LOL)

If she decides that she has had enough and wants to join us. How do the staff inform you- or don't they? Would we have to keep calling at the play area to see if she is ok? Or do they page you?

Sorry, we are new to all this.

Archived