Helicopter Glacier Tour in Juneau worth the bread?

drisinger

Did the helicopter and glacier trek trip qualify for the cost of it in the long run?

Is there one company that does it better than another and who are they?

Should this be booked through HAL or direct with Helicopter company?

Thanks for any insight. I need to get my excursions booked, going in July. I have a group of 8. Can we all go together in one helicopter?

Thanks!

DeAnna and Robin

In my opinion, our heli flight and glacier landing was one of the best travel experiences we've ever had! Just to be clear, "trek" means hiking for several hours using crampons, ice axes, and climbing gear. Northstar Trekking is one choice and I believe they have both helo and non-helo trek options. A couple we met on our ship really enjoyed their tour.

If you meant landing on the glacier and walking around for 20 minutes, the three big operators in JUN are Coastal, Temsco, and Era. I have heard good things on these boards about all of them; they differ slightly in flight and walking time and of course cost. Their websites go over all of this. There is NO need to go through the cruiseline.

The helicopter everyone seems to be using is the Eurostar and A-star...they probably cannot take 8 due to weight and balance unless there are several kids. They are also limited by the number of seat belts. Best bet is to call and ask them if their website doesn't explain it.

If you indeed are looking for a glacier trek, I only recommend the longest, level 3. The others are just too short. You barely get out before you have to turn around and leave. Northstar trekking. There are FEW if any helicopters that take 9 people?? ERA may have some?? But TEMSCO and Coastal, in the past did not.

There also is a nonflying glacier trekking of Mendenhall, requiring fitness and long port hours. If you have time interior Alaska, there are options there too.

Can't speak for the glaciers in Alaska (yet), but I did one of these helicopter landing hikes on Franz Josef glacier in New Zealand a few years back and really enjoyed it. It was my first-ever helicopter ride too, which was a thrill in itself.

On my hike they dropped off one group of hikers and then flew back for a second load, which let me get some photos of the chopper as it approached with the second group.

Out of three main ports, it seems like Juneau is the best place to do a heli copter run, do you agree? I really want to do this with my family of four, but I am a bit leary/afraid :eek:? How long is the ride and thanks for the main companys. We would also like to zipline, (Ketchikan) seems to have several (rainforest ect. what are the differences) what is the best one to do and is Ketichikan the port to do this? What is your favoirte tour in Skagway? Thanks so much for all your help!!!

I'm wondering if there are safety statistics for the various companies (as there are in Hawaii for helicopter flight-seeing). There must be statistics somewhere on number of crashes, etc. I'd like to see such statistics, but don't know where to find them. (Am interested in same for float plane excursions.)

We did the helicopter/glacier trek last year through NCL. We've been on 8 cruises and this was the best excursion we've taken overall. It is quite a bit of bread, but I promise you won't regret a penny of it. We got quite lucky on ours because we were with a more physically fit group and our guide adjusted the tour to fit our needs. We went farther than other groups and we had a great time. Our guide even stopped to give us time to drink the glacier water. In the vein of overall "awesomeness," it's really hard to say if the actual time on the glacier or the helo ride was better. I HIGHLY recommend this tour.:D

Oh fabulous info! Thanks all! I believe we will surely do the Helicopter and walk on the glacier. I misused myself by stating "TREK". I did mean just walk, as my group is only partially physically fit. I also think the ZIP LINE in Ketchican looks very interesting and will explore doing that as well. I am talking with a rapidly growing group on ROLL CALLS about excursions and this input will be very useful. Thanks all!

DeAnna-

Alaska Explorer • July 26 • Westerdam

((Can't Wait!))

I'm a pilot. The NTSB has a searchable database but it's difficult for someone not knowledgable in aviation to enter meaningful search keys. Also, most of the helo companies up there fly cargo and do construction work which is more accident-prone than tourist flights.

I did check before we went last year. One company did not jump out as better or worse than others, safety-wise. Having said that, there have been random flightseeing accidents (a bad one a few years ago was a fixed-wing floatplane out of Ketchikan). Flightseeing flights are somewhat less safe than major airline flights...but still way safer than your morning commute to work!

Oh fabulous info! Thanks all! I believe we will surely do the Helicopter and walk on the glacier. I misused myself by stating "TREK". I did mean just walk, as my group is only partially physically fit. I also think the ZIP LINE in Ketchican looks very interesting and will explore doing that as well. I am talking with a rapidly growing group on ROLL CALLS about excursions and this input will be very useful. Thanks all!

DeAnna-

Alaska Explorer • July 26 • Westerdam

((Can't Wait!))

We are an active family (seriously into winter sports) but opted for a simple glacier landing (rather than a trek) because by 84yo mother was with us, and even my teens found this to be a worthwhile and thrilling experience. We used coastal and had no complaints at all.:)

We are an active family (seriously into winter sports) but opted for a simple glacier landing (rather than a trek) because by 84yo mother was with us, and even my teens found this to be a worthwhile and thrilling experience. We used coastal and had no complaints at all.:)

So... did your 84 year old mother get out of the helicopter and walk around a bit? Is she in really good shape, I think she must have been to do this. Please... do tell...

Just getting in and out of the helicopter concerns me for my mom (77).

I want my mom to also come along but have my concerns as she is NOT very stable on her legs and relies on me for balance. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

DeAnna

So... did your 84 year old mother get out of the helicopter and walk around a bit? Is she in really good shape, I think she must have been to do this. Please... do tell...

Just getting in and out of the helicopter concerns me for my mom (77).

I want my mom to also come along but have my concerns as she is NOT very stable on her legs and relies on me for balance. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

DeAnna

My mom is tiny and frail, with significant mobility issues due to arthritis and heart disease, but they outfitted her (and the rest of us) with metal-studded overshoes, and with the help of the pilot and my two teens she was able to climb in and out of the copter....and walk a bit on the glacier itself (DW and I carefully guided every step;)). It was truly a magical and once-in-a-lifetime experience for her; worth the extra effort and expense...I saw in her that day the same sense of awe and wonder we have seen in my own kids over the years when we show them something truly magnificent:).

What is the main difference between the float planes and the helicopter tours?

The type of tour determines the aircraft. For example, the glaciers in Juneau Icefield are within 20 miles of the airport and aircraft that can carry 6 passengers can't easily land on the glacier. So they use helicopters.

In Ketchikan, floatplanes go on tours and land on lakes and inlets that can be 50+ miles from the port. Popular tours are Misty Fjords and "flyouts" to fish at very isolated lakes.

My mom is tiny and frail, with significant mobility issues due to arthritis and heart disease, but they outfitted her (and the rest of us) with metal-studded overshoes, and with the help of the pilot and my two teens she was able to climb in and out of the copter....and walk a bit on the glacier itself (DW and I carefully guided every step;)). It was truly a magical and once-in-a-lifetime experience for her; worth the extra effort and expense...I saw in her that day the same sense of awe and wonder we have seen in my own kids over the years when we show them something truly magnificent:).

Alright, amazing and inspirational. You inspire me to go the distance on this one~ thank you.

Responding to many comments/questions on this thread. In Juneau there are four helicopter companies offering tours. Temsco, Coastal and Northstar are all now owned by the same people/investors. ERA is under separate ownership. None are locally owned. All except Northstar have had accidents. Causes have included congested skies (a mid-air collision between ERA and a plane), poor visibility (several accidents), and running out of fuel (yup, this was a Skagway flight). The chances of you being in an accident on one tour are extremely slim; however, by booking in advance without knowing the weather, you risk being in one of the helicopters flying over my house at almost tree top level from time to time when the companies choose to keep flying despite marginal visibility. And, speaking of helicopters over my house, there are so many great tours in Juneau that get you up close with nature and adventure without making locals hate tourism. Helicopter tour noise blankets Juneau in the summer, almost every hiking trail, neighborhood, .... By choosing practically any other tour, you will be reducing your negative impact in our homes and lives, and making us much happier with tourism. And, you'll save a lot of money. Thanks.

QuietTravel: In fact, I'd thought of the same kinds of considerations (noise) that you mention in your post. I think I may decide to do a different sort of excursion.

I wonder if you might be able advise, since you're local. I assume that the Mendenhall Glacier is the main thing to see outside the town? Our cruise offers a combo excursion of Mendenhall glacier and evening or afternoon whale watch. Since we'll be spending so much time on a ship, I'm not sure I want to do another boat sort of excursion. Or do you think the whale-watch thing is so spectacular as not-to-be-missed? (We'll have come up through Tracy Arm that morning, on a catamaran.) Another option is "whales and forest trails." Not sure what "forest" this would be. Are there some spectacular forests nearby? with trails that aren't overly strenuous? (We're late 70's, though blessedly fit.) The other main option seems to be canoe or float excursion on Mendenhall Lake. Can you give me your opinion of which of those you think might be enjoyable, i.e. compared to choosing one of the other excursions that I mention above?

I know that a lot of this has to do with personal druthers, but not knowing what any of that scenery looks like, it's difficult to know how to choose. (Gorgeous and unusual scenery is more impt to us than wildlife.) We'll be in Juneau in early August.

Thanks-- and thanks for your reminder about noise pollution for local residents.

If you indeed are looking for a glacier trek, I only recommend the longest, level 3. The others are just too short. You barely get out before you have to turn around and leave. Northstar trekking. There are FEW if any helicopters that take 9 people?? ERA may have some?? But TEMSCO and Coastal, in the past did not.

There also is a nonflying glacier trekking of Mendenhall, requiring fitness and long port hours. If you have time interior Alaska, there are options there too.

Hi I was wondering which of the Temsco tours is better.

1 heli and dog sledding in Jueno

2 heli and dog sledding in Skagway.

I was thinking Skagway sounds better but im just not sure.

Also is the price around $500 for each of them?

Thanks

Hi I was wondering which of the Temsco tours is better.

1 heli and dog sledding in Jueno

2 heli and dog sledding in Skagway.

I was thinking Skagway sounds better but im just not sure.

Also is the price around $500 for each of them?

Thanks

Skagway, gets canceled slightly less. It's "better" where it fits your overall schedule best.

Replying to Poss' inquiry on my recommended alternatives ... it is so hard to say. Every day that we Juneau residents ski at the Mendenhall Glacier area all winter we pinch ourselves that this is home, it is so spectacular. Places where my regular summer activities regularly overlap with cruise visitors include: the Mount Roberts Tramway (gets you quickly to subalpine, with a nice trail into alpine -- if you are prepared for walking and wet/cool weather, take a snack and drinks, you can hike for hours); the Mendenhall Glacier area - the East Glacier Trail (I hike this trail at least once a week when I'm in town, nice forest and some views, 3 mile loop), the bear viewing platforms, photo point for the terns, and the new trail along the shoreline out to the falls (flat and about a mile? each way). For the glacier, if you like hiking, I suggest taking the shuttle bus rather than the tour so you can stay as long as you like. The city bus drops you a mile from the center so not best unless you really like walking instead of spending an extra bit of money each. My family has a cabin on an island near where much of the whale watching takes place and I rarely tire of sitting on the beach watching the whales (against lovely island/mountain views) and am thrilled to watch whales from boats. The guided hikes offer lots of info on the temperate rainforest if you like to better understand the environment. But, you could get a good natural history guide, read it on the ship, and then take a walk on your own as well. My best advice would be to pick a couple nice places in nature and give yourself time to settle in and enjoy them - recognizing that the weather can be nasty at times in August so good gear is important for comfort.

QuietTravel, something we'd be interested in is skiing/snowboarding ... is there a mountain/ski resort close enough to port that this might be a possibility for us as late as May 28? We'll be in port from 7a-3p, a short time, but we've been known to do the 3 hour drive to our local mountain to do 2-4 hours of skiing/boarding. We wouldn't be able to bring our own gear, so would need to rent.

~Denise

to dfitz - Juneau has a fabulous local ski area called Eaglecrest; however, our ski season ends Easter weekend. Hard core skiers and boarders will continue to hike up for runs as long as the snow holds but I expect it'll be getting pretty thin by May (who knows though, I still have a couple feet on the ground and it was snowing again today, though no accumulation at sea level). There won't be any rentals available after the ski area closes. Plan a trip back for February!

to dfitz - Juneau has a fabulous local ski area called Eaglecrest; however, our ski season ends Easter weekend. Hard core skiers and boarders will continue to hike up for runs as long as the snow holds but I expect it'll be getting pretty thin by May (who knows though, I still have a couple feet on the ground and it was snowing again today, though no accumulation at sea level). There won't be any rentals available after the ski area closes. Plan a trip back for February!

Early in our planning, my daughter had said she thought it would be fun to snowboard in Alaska. We enjoy snowsports, but even if we were hard core enough to hike up the runs, sounds like rental eqpt wouldn't be avail ... had heard you guys are getting a lot of snow this year, so wondered if it might keep the ski season open later ... here in "sunny" Calif, the ski season sometimes extends to late April just 3 hours from our home.

dfitz - Eaglecrest is a city owned/operated ski area and the vast majority of skiers are season ticket holders. It just doesn't work out for the area to extend the season too much, though they have before, but never into May. The area isn't that far above sea level and snow would be too patchy. Besides, as the days lengthen our thoughts turn to summer things. Time for boating, fishing, cabins, gardens, ... winter will be back again soon enough.

Archived