Moving over from Royal Caribbean!

J-Hawk

Bottom line:

There are people who have only sailed RCL and refused to try CCL because they feel that is lowering their standards.

Not only is CCL a step up, but by continuing to cruise RCL and accept all their cutbacks, they are lowering their standards!

Without all the extras (good food, entertainment, chocolate on the pillow, etc) cruising merely becomes a slow way to go from island to island...

Price! Price! Price!

Ports! Ports! Ports!

Those are the only 2 things we look @ when booking a cruise. Whoever has the lowest price and the best choice of ports for us wins. Right now, it's Carnival. We don't care about all the "kids" stuff, flow rider, rock wall, in line skating, ice skating... Never use them. To me, that just attracts more kids!!!:( We don't care how the ship looks, and how much time they spend cleaning the windows. We are budget cruisers who want to get to the ports, get off and enjoy ourselves.:)

Peace

I feel the same way.:) I would like to try different lines just to see what they are like but I cannot bring myself to pay much more money when I can get what I want with Carnival. Maybe one day I will.:D

I like the food better on Carnival. I found a lot more options on the Glory then I had on the Rhapsody. The Glory has a deli, chinese food, fish and chips, 24 hr pizza, a grill with hamburgers, hotdogs, chicken strips and fries. Some things I like better on RCCL was the room service breakfast menu. Carnival does not offer the option of having a hot breakfast from room service. I also liked that RCCL had an adults only solarium and pool.

The last three cruises I have taken with RCCL the room service menu diminished each time. No hot breakfast possible now, just coffee/Danish/cereals.

Late night menu has also suffered, no HamBurgers or Pizza, just sandwiches and fries.

Despite what you hear, if you are doing newer RCL ships, there is very little difference in cabin sizes and in fact the balconys are larger on RCL ships (somehow the cheerleaders never mention how small the balconys are on Carnival. The good news is the balconys are more affordable on Carnival.

Capachino and espresso is free in the dining room on Carnival, so I order a cup after dinner on Carnival.

Each has some good things. I enjoy each cruise for what it is. Many who post things about comparisons here or on the RCL threads have not been on the competing line, but post comparisons anyway, so dont take everything to heart. Just relax. Its a cruise, unless you hit a hurricane it will be fine.

Thank you for your answer. I too appreciate it. I will be canceling my RCI cruise tomorrow and booking the Dream (I am very excited, and nervous LOL). Since we had kids we have only cruised DCL (kids didn't love it) and RCCL, kids LOVE RCCL. My dh and I love the promandade and know we will miss it since when we sail Radiance class ships on RCCL, we always miss the Promanade (or floating mall as posters on CCL call it). We love to sit, have a drink and people watch. The kids LOVE the clubs in RCCL but know our three 16 year olds and one 12 year old will not have ANY problem having fun on the Dream.

Thanks for the information on the balconys. I think the balconys on RCCL are small (we crusie in D1s not suites) so can only imagine how much smaller CCL will be. Can you fit the two chairs and small table on the CCL balconys? Not a deal breaker, just wondering.

I know what you mean about Nassau. We only need 1 more RCCL cruise to make Diamond, but there is a huge thread about them cutting back on Diamond perks, so we really don't feel the need to go back to them. We booked the Valor on the Early Saver program in Sept. for $349pp, and the closest RCCL can come to a 7 night Western in Sept. is $699pp.:rolleyes:

That's a no brainer in my book.;)

I had to be convinced. :)

We had Enchantment booked...aft junior suite. We've only stayed in inside cabins, but since it's our 25th wedding anniversary, we decided to splurge. The cruise, for 5 days, cost $2500. I was all hung up on the corner junior suite with the deep balcony. Carnival Liberty aft balcony cabin cost $1800 for 7 days. I was blinded by the pictures of the aft junior suite balcony, but finally I got over that and switched the booking.

I had to be convinced. :)

We had Enchantment booked...aft junior suite. We've only stayed in inside cabins, but since it's our 25th wedding anniversary, we decided to splurge. The cruise, for 5 days, cost $2500. I was all hung up on the corner junior suite with the deep balcony. Carnival Liberty aft balcony cabin cost $1800 for 7 days. I was blinded by the pictures of the aft junior suite balcony, but finally I got over that and switched the booking.

Smart move!!:)

Well, that is hard to answer because there are basically "2" RCIs - the new, big, monstrosties, and then old, small, classic ships. So this question would basically have to be answered twice. Once from each perspective.

As an overall, from the opinion of someone who came back to Carnival, but prefers RCI:

Cabins are better on Carnival. Food is better on Carnival. Shows are better on Carnival. Entertainment overall is better on Carnival. Rooms are bigger and price is better, and itenerary is better on Carnival.

RCI has better ships, and a different croud. A little more quiet and polite, where as the Carnival croud is a little more fun and maybe even more roudy.

On Carnival, there is AWLAYS a band and dancing by the pool. On RCI, only for an hour or so at times.

Carnival has a reputation as the "Fun Ship". They make sure you have fun.

RCI is a "slightly" older croud that what Carnival has by maybe 10 years average.

Carnival has 20's and 30's mostly and families with small children.

RCI has 30's and 40's mostly and families with older children (teens).

I have been on both Cruise lines and I don't really see a difference except Carnival is cheaper for me most of the time. I for one don't use you some of extra stuf on RC (Rock climbing). You also need to evaluate the customer service as well and at times RC can nickel and dime you.

fundamentally, you are generally trading a stateroom scheme that favors blues, golds, and ivories for one that favors reds, tans, and ivories. both truly look like the inside of a wilderness camper. for that reason, it is important to leave that stateroom and enjoy all the fun that has been planned for you.

if you cannot live without an ice rink or rock wall, the switch to carnival will be tough. take it in stride. grab a hurricane and join me for putt putt golf.

We have been on RC Liberty of the Seas and Carnival Sensation. Totally different class of ships but here are the pros and cons from my family.

1 - You get what you pay for

2 - RC seems to have a higher class people

3 - Carnival offers more food but the food on RC is healthier. If the cooks on Carnival could understand you then you could have a healthy meal on Carnival. My problem was I can't get anything made without 14 tablespoons of oil or light mayonnaise on Carnival because the cooks simply don't understand.

4 - Suites on RC ships are better but more expensive

5 - If you don't drink your going to be bored out of your mind on Carnival

6 - Much more to do on RC class ships

7 - RC seems WAY more professional we felt like royalty on RC.

8 - Carnival is cheaper and seems to have lots of drunks and lower class people. Not trying to judge here just being honest.

9 - Wireless Internet in cabin is HORRIBLE on Carinval

10 - Check in and check out was VERY easy on Carnival and a pain in the bum on RC.

11 - Carnival likes to turn off the stabilizers on the ship, our ship was rocking 15 feet up and 15 feet down and got a ton of people sick. I could never feel the RC ship moving.

12 - We will never sail on Carnival again we simply didn't like it.

So to summarize...... if you want a cheap cruise that is still fun go Carnival. If you want to be treated like royalty and have an awesome time go with RC. Either one is fun it just depends on how much cash you spend and who you want to be around.

So to summarize...... if you want a cheap cruise that is still fun go Carnival. If you want to be treated like royalty and have an awesome time go with RC. Either one is fun it just depends on how much cash you spend and who you want to be around.

I wonder what they put in the Soup to brain wash you people :D You pay an extra 200.00 more and that makes you Higher Class? Are you making a Joke? :eek:

I think you are totally confused with RCI and Crystal Cruises when it comes to being treated like Royalty.

Fred

We have been on RC Liberty of the Seas and Carnival Sensation. Totally different class of ships but here are the pros and cons from my family.

1 - You get what you pay for

3 - Carnival offers more food but the food on RC is healthier. If the cooks on Carnival could understand you then you could have a healthy meal on Carnival. My problem was I can't get anything made without 14 tablespoons of oil or light mayonnaise on Carnival because the cooks simply don't understand.

4 - Suites on RC ships are better but more expensive

5 - If you don't drink your going to be bored out of your mind on Carnival

6 - Much more to do on RC class ships

7 - RC seems WAY more professional we felt like royalty on RC.

8 - Carnival is cheaper and seems to have lots of drunks and lower class people. Not trying to judge here just being honest.

9 - Wireless Internet in cabin is HORRIBLE on Carinval

10 - Check in and check out was VERY easy on Carnival and a pain in the bum on RC.

11 - Carnival likes to turn off the stabilizers on the ship, our ship was rocking 15 feet up and 15 feet down and got a ton of people sick. I could never feel the RC ship moving.

12 - We will never sail on Carnival again we simply didn't like it.

#2 and #8 are redundant. one could similarly observe that people on RCL tend to be more straightlaced, and class has nothing to do with it. night owls need not apply. how do they get people to go to bed? slip lunestra in the lemon water?

on carnival, class aside, people gravitate there to let their hair down for a while. i get to wear an updo and heels each day of the week. flops and ponytails work for me. staying out late is a novelty that works well for me, as well.

class? are you serious? there are people who will end up on carnival that could buy a family of RCL cruisers. as for the stabilizers, when will people learn that you are on a SHIP and it does move? consider it like a free ticket to the amusement park, thrown in to your cruise package, with all the love...

I wonder what they put in the Soup to brain wash you people :D You pay an extra 200.00 more and that makes you Higher Class? Are you making a Joke? :eek:

I think you are totally confused with RCI and Crystal Cruises when it comes to being treated like Royalty.

Fred

Money has nothing to do with higher class I never said that, let me try to explain better.

Carnival - Notice many people with mullets and tshirts running around with 2 Budweiser in hand screaming "time to party biyatches"

Royal Caribbean - Noticed people in bars on ship with nice outfits, drinking and talking without screaming. Never once saw anyone dry humping their mate on the deck in front of kids. Could talk and communicate well with cooks. Never noticed any guys with hair as long as a girl screaming biyatches....

Fred

$200 is NOTHING, and it does not make people "higher class". if the RCL ships were truly classy, the staterooms would not, as i have pointed out before, look like the inside of a wilderness camper. they would look like the inside of a newmar.

i think you hit the nail on the head with the RCI and Crystal cruise liners.

#2 and #8 are redundant. one could similarly observe that people on RCL tend to be more straightlaced, and class has nothing to do with it. night owls need not apply. how do they get people to go to bed? slip lunestra in the lemon water?

on carnival, class aside, people gravitate there to let their hair down for a while. i get to wear an updo and heels each day of the week. flops and ponytails work for me. staying out late is a novelty that works well for me, as well.

class? are you serious? there are people who will end up on carnival that could buy a family of RCL cruisers. as for the stabilizers, when will people learn that you are on a SHIP and it does move? consider it like a free ticket to the amusement park, thrown in to your cruise package, with all the love...

True, Carnival is more laid back and casual.... you can do what you please and not worry about it. That's why I said the class of people or at least the way people act is very different. We didn't feel safe allowing our kids out past 10PM on Carnival ships because of the heavy and crazy party crowd... however on RC we didn't seem to worry about them being out past 1am with the RC camp.

Again these are just my opinions not meaning to get anyone heated. I would rather pay $4000 extra (doesnt matter to me) just to be on RC.... I had a better time.

Money has nothing to do with higher class I never said that, let me try to explain better.

Carnival - Notice many people with mullets and tshirts running around with 2 Budweiser in hand screaming "time to party biyatches"

Royal Caribbean - Noticed people in bars on ship with nice outfits, drinking and talking without screaming. Never once saw anyone dry humping their mate on the deck in front of kids. Could talk and communicate well with cooks. Never noticed any guys with hair as long as a girl screaming biyatches....

1. mullets in modern times are a myth. unless you go to austin for a football game, and sit in the visitors section. even those, i suspect, are actors paid to leave an impression.

2. you really looked at your cruise experience through some seriously interesting goggles to discern that the bud man is the prototypical cruiser on carnival. oh goodness. ;)

if the RCL ships were truly classy, the staterooms would not, as i have pointed out before, look like the inside of a wilderness camper. they would look like the inside of a newmar.

This was our suite on Liberty of the Seas as you can see it does NOT look like a wilderness camp.

liberty-combo1.jpg

1. mullets in modern times are a myth. unless you go to austin for a football game, and sit in the visitors section. even those, i suspect, are actors paid to leave an impression.

2. you really looked at your cruise experience through some seriously interesting goggles to discern that the bud man is the prototypical cruiser on carnival. oh goodness. ;)

The bud man and the man dry humping his girl were two different people. :D

This was our suite on Liberty of the Seas as you can see it does NOT look like a wilderness camp.

nor does my suite on destiny look like a camper. do you want to check out what interior staterooms look like for both lines? google them.

Archived