NCL Freestyle not so Free.

Ralph413

If the OP was unhappy with the pool logistics that is their own fault for not researching before they booked... Not NCL's for not having the pool to suit their needs! I could care less about a retractable roof. If that was so important to me I would make sure I booked a ship that had one.

RCCL, Carnival, HAL and Princess they all are missing you hurry up

LOL..Loved this post...it started my Monday morning off with a chuckle. Thank you for that.

I usually don't get sucked into poor reviews, when the complainer has very few post. But I have to agree with allot of his review.:o

Fear not; I'm sure the PCP (Post Count Police) will be here in full bray presently.

I don't understand either of your postings. The OP has like 400+ postings unless I am looking at his profile wrong.

Not that I put much stock in the OP's review but in all fairness last week they turned on the interactive TV that allows you to review you account, book tours etc. The result no more free movie channels at least last week.

OP you need to venture out a bit more. There are at least 4 water stations in the buffet areas just keep going aft.

I am so glad you posted this. When I read the OP saying they charged for movies I was like "What??"". I kind of just thought that maybe we had missed that as we do not cruise to watch movies. Usually we are too tired from having other fun to watch much TV at all, but I knew I didn't remember pay-per-view movies.

I guess everyone's a capitalist until they go on vacation. The buy-it-if-you-want-it approach on NCL is brilliant application of the free market. Just the newspapers alone demonstrate this. There is no happy news to be read so I won't touch a newspaper while I'm on vacation. And there are many people who for whatever reason never read their paper while at sea. Since only the people who want to be troubled by the world while at sea pay for the paper, they bear the full cost rather than all the non-paper-readers subsidizing the paper readers through increased fares.

And if you don't like capitalism, how about environmentalism? When goods are free, things are wasted because people will take them just because they are free. If you have to pay, you have to decide you value it enough to spend the money. Since the marginal demand of goods with cost is almost always going to be lower than free goods (there's some weird things in this world that don't follow the rule), supply will be less and less resources will utilized (read: wasted on the many papers that went unread anyway).

And for the rasta/nihilist/hippy standpoint: less knowledge of the world's grim state of affairs can only increase the general happiness on the cruise, better outcome for all!

Whenever we cruise in the autumn, my hubby likes the paper for football scores or if the World series is going on for that. What he is usually given is several mimeographed/copier pages that has been stapled together. I thought it was free. There is a charge for that?

Me, I hate the news on a cruise, as I want to pretend for a few days that the world is happy place. If I turn on CNN I always regret it. We were on a cruise in 2002 when the Washington snipers started terrifying the country. In 2004 this poor guy from Atlanta was beheaded over in the mideast. This last cruise there was that bloodbath in India when that 13 year old American girl and a good many others were murdered. Nope, I prefer to leave the news off myself.

Not sure if the OP would be truly happy on any line. I also was on this cruise and found it to be terrific. I have traveled many other lines including HAL 25 times. Yes NCL only had PPV movies, maybe this is something new, the price for PPV was 11.95, big deal, your on a cruise get out of your cabin and have fun....maybe traveling from NYC it would be nice to have a sliding roof over pool area, again it didnt reuin our cruise at all.

I do think the garden cafe could possibly have been laid out a little better, very hard to find a seat at peak times, but again, not the worst thing in the world. Newspapers???? Gimmie a break, your on vacation, relax.

All in all for my first time on NCL I was imprsessed. I went on this trip with not great expectations, and low and behold I came out a fan.

Can some things be a little better? Sure, but NCL is certainly headed to the top of the mass market lines in my opinion.

Capn

LOL..Loved this post...it started my Monday morning off with a chuckle. Thank you for that.

I don't understand either of your postings. The OP has like 400+ postings unless I am looking at his profile wrong.

terry, I looked at his profile and he has 10 posts as of now (Monday Morning 8 am eastern- March 30), most of which is about that he was booked on a cruise (NCL Dawn) in May that has been canceled and he feels he should have been compensated better. He rebooked a cruise in June with NCL though, at least that is what I "got," what I don't understand is WHY he rebooked with NCL, why not take the refund from the canceled cruise and book another line, when he learned he would not be "compensated" for his "inconvenience"?

It seems he is upset because he said this had happened on Princess, and I guess Princess refunded people and also gave them a free cruise. He seems to forget these are tough economic times and I doubt Princess could afford to do that now.

terry, I looked at his profile and he has 10 posts as of now (Monday Morning 8 am eastern- March 30), most of which is about that he was booked on a cruise (NCL Dawn) in May that has been canceled and he feels he should have been compensated better. He rebooked a cruise in June with NCL though, at least that is what I "got," what I don't understand is WHY he rebooked with NCL, why not take the refund from the canceled cruise and book another line, when he learned he would not be "compensated" for his "inconvenience"?

It seems he is upset because he said this had happened on Princess, and I guess Princess refunded people and also gave them a free cruise. He seems to forget these are tough economic times and I doubt Princess could afford to do that now.

Oops! That thread was from 2007, 2 years ago, Ralph does not come here much does he? But he was griping about NCL then also. I am surprised he took another NCL cruise after that.

I figure I'm still going to come out ahead. I believe the published rate for the GS on RCCL for the Baltic cruise was around $1200 per person more then the A4 on NCL for the same sail dates (within 5 days of each other). We switched from RCCL to NCL and ended up saving around $700 per person as we had booked the GS prior to the price increase. Even if I choose (cause most of these extras are by choice, right?) to pay for a few things extra on NCL I am certain it won't add up to $1200 per person; I'm guessing not even $700 more.

Not to mention that the suite perks on NCL seem so much better; no butler on RCCL and no private breakfasts/lunches in a specialty restaurant; no private pool. This will be my first cruise with NCL so I admittedly have no real experience, but having done my research it would seem that even though they may charge extra for a few things that other lines don't, they most certainly are more competitive for their cabins so it all seems to work out in the end.

No cruise line can beat NCL's suites!

haha my favorite is the one who not only comments on the post count but also does a search of your previous posts and writes a synopsis.
Well, SP, all your prior posts are there for everyone to see, and comments on your posts will be made, are made, on every board here. No like, no post.

I feel sorry for the OP -- he knew he wasn't going to like his cruise, and by darned . . .

Well, SP, all your prior posts are there for everyone to see, and comments on your posts will be made, are made, on every board here. No like, no post.

I feel sorry for the OP -- he knew he wasn't going to like his cruise, and by darned . . .

So true-LOL!

One thing though Ralph is right about-if it now costs $12.95 to watch a movie-that is steep-however it will not affect me-as I am more like Terry-I don't watch movies much on the TV while on a cruise-now I will admit I have become interested in a few when I turned on the TV to watch something while waiting for hubby to dress for dinner- believe it or not, me, a WOMAN, is always ready first-but I would stop watching after a few minutes as I had missed the beginning, and besides hubby would finally be dressed. Then, after returning home that movie would go to the top of my Netflix list.

But, those movies were just on TV that I found channel surfing- I have never seen any movie on demand type thing-I am thinking $12.95 would be a movie on demand? At least I would HOPE if they charge me for it I could see the beginning! and not that I watched 10 minutes of it.

I guess everyone's a capitalist until they go on vacation. The buy-it-if-you-want-it approach on NCL is brilliant application of the free market. Just the newspapers alone demonstrate this. There is no happy news to be read so I won't touch a newspaper while I'm on vacation. And there are many people who for whatever reason never read their paper while at sea. Since only the people who want to be troubled by the world while at sea pay for the paper, they bear the full cost rather than all the non-paper-readers subsidizing the paper readers through increased fares.

And if you don't like capitalism, how about environmentalism? When goods are free, things are wasted because people will take them just because they are free. If you have to pay, you have to decide you value it enough to spend the money. Since the marginal demand of goods with cost is almost always going to be lower than free goods (there's some weird things in this world that don't follow the rule), supply will be less and less resources will utilized (read: wasted on the many papers that went unread anyway).

And for the rasta/nihilist/hippy standpoint: less knowledge of the world's grim state of affairs can only increase the general happiness on the cruise, better outcome for all!

Great post! I subscribe to all three approaches.

RCCL, Carnival, HAL and Princess they all are missing you hurry up

Hysterical! :D

All I have to say that I would rather have a bad day on a cruise that a good day at work any day of the week!

I could care less about watching movies! There is sun, water and sky to enjoy not to mention that the only news I care about is the Freestyle Daily. I am on a cruise to forget the stresses of life and enjoy myself for the time I am on the ship, to make friends and have some fun!

Really, how can everything be bad?!

haha my favorite is the one who not only comments on the post count but also does a search of your previous posts and writes a synopsis.

It's my favorite thing too. ;) There's is no better way to understand where someone is coming from. Don't you take a person's history into account when assessing their opinions? It appears the OP was angry at NCL, regardless of whether we agree he had a right to be or not, I take it into consideration when assessing his opinions. (That and the fact that I didn't have any of these complaints on my Gem cruise.)

But I thank the OP for acknowledging the positives he found with the crew.

Hysterical! :D

All I have to say that I would rather have a bad day on a cruise that a good day at work any day of the week!

I could care less about watching movies! There is sun, water and sky to enjoy not to mention that the only news I care about is the Freestyle Daily. I am on a cruise to forget the stresses of life and enjoy myself for the time I am on the ship, to make friends and have some fun!

Really, how can everything be bad?!

I'd like to know when people find the time to read newspapers and especially to watch movies. Unless I get sick on a cruise, I can assure you I will not be watching any movies in my cabin. And I am the ultimate movie-addict at home. I don't have that kind of extra time on a cruise.

There's is no better way to understand where someone is coming from. Don't you take a person's history into account when assessing their opinions?

Absolutely!

It helps to get a feel for an individual. Sometimes people don't express themselves well when writing, so if you look at their history prior to jumping on them, it can save you some embarassment. (btdt, unfortunately) ;)

I can't really respond to the OP because I can't wrap my brain around the review. It doesn't mean I don't believe he had reason to dislike his cruise, I just have had such different experiences that I have a hard time agreeing.

I do think NCL winds up costing a bit more than any other cruises I take, but I know that ahead of time and I deal with it accordingly....the thing is I have a choice whether I am spending the extra or not. No one forces me to eat at Cagney's....

When I am on a cruise newspapers and TV are NOT what I am looking for. (heck, I avoid both at home!) so of course I am going to think the OP's complaints are silly...but that's because I like different things

I have learned after years on here that it's just futile...the whole critic thing is basically useless in the grand scheme of things because two people can take the same exact cruise and have 2 totally different experiences.

You can only come here for basic guidance and the reviews can only be used as a guideline.

I just like to get a feel for the personality of the poster. If they have a track record of complaining, I consider that in deciding if they are credible or not.

Bermuder - Everyone is different. My mom, who is 74 doesn't particularly like to get off the ship in port, so during our S. America cruise in Feb 2009 for 14 days she would have some "down time". She loves to watch tv, especially old movies. She watches some for the umteenth time. She says that is the best thing about getting old - "no re-runs"!!!

Anyway, while I was off on ports being active, she was at the spa or perhaps in our suite, laying on the couch with a movie on the tv. But next to her were the snacks from the butler and the door to our huge balcony was open onto the aft, with the sound of the wake and the fresh air and sunshine coming in. Now, who's not to like that?

:rolleyes:

Not everyone cruises for the same reason.

Bermuder - Everyone is different. My mom, who is 74 doesn't particularly like to get off the ship in port, so during our S. America cruise in Feb 2009 for 14 days she would have some "down time". She loves to watch tv, especially old movies. She watches some for the umteenth time. She says that is the best thing about getting old - "no re-runs"!!!

Anyway, while I was off on ports being active, she was at the spa or perhaps in our suite, laying on the couch with a movie on the tv. But next to her were the snacks from the butler and the door to our huge balcony was open onto the aft, with the sound of the wake and the fresh air and sunshine coming in. Now, who's not to like that?

:rolleyes:

Not everyone cruises for the same reason.

I get that and I was not criticizing. I was truly curious since, as much as I love movies, I could never find the time. I guess I like people watching too much so if I have down time, I'd rather sit out in public and take it all in. But power to your Mom!

Just got off the NCL Gem 3-21-09. Been cruising for 30 yrs appox 28 cruises. Been on NCL 3 times. After cruising on the Dawn 2 yrs ago I vowed never to go NCL again. Wish I'd listened to my own words; I wanted to go out of New York and avoid flying. It seems like everything on NCL cost extra. Most lines will give you a key to their spa so you can work out in the gym then go into the spa for a shower, steam or sauna. Nope not NCl, Spa guest only at $100 for the week or $20 per day. However try to get in on a sea day for $20 and you’re turned away.

Most line have a couple of movies running on the TV in your cabin which change everyday. NOPE! Not NCL you get CNN, Fox News, TNT (Charmed, Bones all day long) cartoons and pay per view at $12.95 a movie. No movie theater or movies under the stars.

Most lines leave a condensed newspaper (NY Times) for free everyday.

NOPE 3.95 per day but you do get to choose from about 6 different papers.

Food fair nothing to write home about. 2 lobster nights (Small) Shrimp cocktail available every night oops Baby shrimp. Never saw a normal sized shrimp all week.

The ship itself was beautiful but poorly designed. Like old school. Certain locations like the Grand Pacific restaurant require you to go up or down one floor or outside to enter that part of the ship.

Pool set up also a poor design. Most new ships now have a separate pool usually by the spa for adults only with a retractable roof for rain and cold. Considering this ship pulls out of New York half the year and in winter months it's definitely lacking the roof. This ship has, both pools together separated by the band stand so the adults looking to relax by the pool have the band blasting in their face while they try to read a book or magazine.

On a good note the staff was very friendly (Mostly Pilipino) however I did notice a language barrier from time to time.

and chips or burgers during the evening but I was there with 2 other tables and after being served I waited 40 minutes for the waiter to come back so I could order desert and a second glass of water. I went back there a few days later for breakfast and had the same problem. 3 tables 5 waitresses and I had to get the hostess to get me a waiter after waiting 15 minutes and when I told her I had the same trouble a few nights ago and just want to place my order she asked 3 times if I wanted water? [/font][/color]

Anyway I guess I'll be going back to RCCL, Carnival, HAL and Princess.

Sorry NCL.

PS: If you’re booked in Balcony 9618 get it changed Now! They are having a noise problem which I was told can not be fixed. It took numerous trips to the purser’s desk and finally got my room changed after complaining to a executive officer at the captains welcome reception.

obviously you will be cruising other lines in the future. There are reasons for so many lines, what pleases one person isn't the same for the next.

I am not going to comment on the service as I wasn't on the ship. We have never had anything like you are discribing and have cruised on all mass marketed lines.

I will question a few things you have said as i think it is unfair to make statements that are only partially true::

1-NCL does not charge for the use of the gym or work out facilities, they do charge for the use of the entire spa...

2-the newspaper: as far as I know HAL is the only line that is furnishing daily brief versions of a newspaper. It is a nice feature but I don't go on vacation to read the newspaper. I feel if anything really earth shaking happens they will let us know via the TV or something.

3-they do have daily movies on the cabin TVs. We usually watch a couple during the cruise. Again we don't cruise to watch TV but sometimes it is nice to relax in the late afternoon. No they do not change every day, but they do offer about 6 or 8 different ones.

4-baby shrimp, yes, they are baby shrimp, but did you know they taste the same as jumbo shrimp. I have never understood what the deal is about the size.

5-the newer ships do have a movie theatre and I think the Epic is going to have movies under the Stars...

6-poor design, we had the same think on HAL, up and down to get to one of the restaurants. We didn't like it, but adjusted after a couple of days. Of all the things to make referance too??? I would consider that pretty picky plus what does it have to do with nickel and diming you???

I do agree about the pool set-up, but again, what does that have to do with nickel and diming plus you mention newer ships, I don't consider the Dawn a newer ship. I think more than judging NCL by the Dawn (I might add she happens to be the most popular ships for re-books) you should look at the newer NCL ships...She isn't old, but certainly not new.

Nita

obviously you will be cruising other lines in the future. There are reasons for so many lines, what pleases one person isn't the same for the next.

I am not going to comment on the service as I wasn't on the ship. We have never had anything like you are discribing and have cruised on all mass marketed lines.

I will question a few things you have said as i think it is unfair to make statements that are only partially true::

1-NCL does not charge for the use of the gym or work out facilities, they do charge for the use of the entire spa...

2-the newspaper: as far as I know HAL is the only line that is furnishing daily brief versions of a newspaper. It is a nice feature but I don't go on vacation to read the newspaper. I feel if anything really earth shaking happens they will let us know via the TV or something.

3-they do have daily movies on the cabin TVs. We usually watch a couple during the cruise. Again we don't cruise to watch TV but sometimes it is nice to relax in the late afternoon. No they do not change every day, but they do offer about 6 or 8 different ones.

4-baby shrimp, yes, they are baby shrimp, but did you know they taste the same as jumbo shrimp. I have never understood what the deal is about the size.

5-the newer ships do have a movie theatre and I think the Epic is going to have movies under the Stars...

6-poor design, we had the same think on HAL, up and down to get to one of the restaurants. We didn't like it, but adjusted after a couple of days. Of all the things to make referance too??? I would consider that pretty picky plus what does it have to do with nickel and diming you???

I do agree about the pool set-up, but again, what does that have to do with nickel and diming plus you mention newer ships, I don't consider the Dawn a newer ship. I think more than judging NCL by the Dawn (I might add she happens to be the most popular ships for re-books) you should look at the newer NCL ships...She isn't old, but certainly not new.

Nita

Nita, he was on the Gem. But I agree with your responses except that I really like the pool set up on the Gem. Since we sometimes travel with my brother's family, I like that we can sit together - me enjoying the adult pool (with an occasional jump on the slide!) and them watching my 10 year old nephew enjoy that pool. It's perfect for us! While it's true that cruising out of NYC it can be cold, that's when we head for the spa pool! :)

Terry, OP only has 10 posts unless I am reading something wrong, he is new and he does not like NCL to say the least...

Nita

SPM, I think many of us check profiles to get an idea as to the overall attitude of a poster, we also read past posts.. I don't see anything wrong with this, it gives me an idea where the poster is coming from and why....

Terry, OP only has 10 posts unless I am reading something wrong, he is new and he does not like NCL to say the least...

Nita

SPM, I think many of us check profiles to get an idea as to the overall attitude of a poster, we also read past posts.. I don't see anything wrong with this, it gives me an idea where the poster is coming from and why....

Nita, I replied to you on the other thread. I was looking at the OP's other posts and had replied to him on that thread not realizing it was 2 years old. I thought he was angry about a cruise canceled on the Dawn THIS May. So, he has been very unhappy with NCL twice.

Archived