Bringing wine on board-logistics?

Shelle2

Our family is taking our first Princess Cruise next week and have some wine questions. Based on what I've seen, Princess has very reasonable wine prices but a somewhat limited selection. We are thinking about pre-ordering some wine from Total Wine and picking it up before we board the ship. I heard the store isn't to far from Port Everglades. Has anyone ever done this? We are thinking about bringing several bottles of wine and a couple of bottles of champagne. I'm not sure how to bring it on board. I'm assuming the cardboard wine box isn't a great idea. Any suggestions?

Is the cabin refrigerator big enough to chill a full-size bottle? I'm assuming the room steward can bring us glasses. We plan on packing a corksrew.

I know we will pay corkage fees in the dining rooms and don't mind.

A huge thank you to everyone for participating in these boards. I'm not sure how I'd plan without them!

I know people who have brought on an entire case of wine. Seal it up well with tape and put a luggage tag on it.

The fridge isn't very large and it's a bit difficult to put a bottle of champagne inside. You sort of have to cock it a bit to one side and wedge it in. It doesn't leave room for much else.

You can order an ice bucket and glasses from room service. They'll bring it right away.

Is the cabin refrigerator big enough to chill a full-size bottle? I'm assuming the room steward can bring us glasses. We plan on packing a corksrew.

We have found the mini frig in the stateroom can accomodate several regular sized bottles of wine no problem at all. And I always keep my bottle of champagne chilled until the end of the cruise, it also has always fit.

Just keep in mind that it could take 24-48 hours to chill wine that isn't already cooled, they aren't super frigs, but just minis. Enjoy!

Princess policy was one bottle of wine and/or champagne for consumption in cabin or subject to corkage in restaurants. Personally I would not push my luck past a couple of bottles of vino at each port. Ships security could refuse a carton of wine, then what do you do with it?

Anyway just my two cents worth.

Our family is taking our first Princess Cruise next week and have some wine questions. Based on what I've seen, Princess has very reasonable wine prices but a somewhat limited selection. We are thinking about pre-ordering some wine from Total Wine and picking it up before we board the ship. I heard the store isn't to far from Port Everglades. Has anyone ever done this? We are thinking about bringing several bottles of wine and a couple of bottles of champagne. I'm not sure how to bring it on board. I'm assuming the cardboard wine box isn't a great idea. Any suggestions?

I know we will pay corkage fees in the dining rooms and don't mind.

A huge thank you to everyone for participating in these boards. I'm not sure how I'd plan without them!

My wife and I have done this before at Port Everglades. You'll want to buy a styrofoam wine shipper, put your wines in the shipper, seal it up, tape a good-sized label to it (including your cabin number), and finally tape a luggage tag to it. Give it to the porter along with the rest of your luggage. I don't think you'll have any problems.

Once in your cabin, let your cabin steward know that you'd like a set of wine glasses and/or champagne flutes for your cabin. Be sure to specify flutes or you'll get the old style champagne glasses.

Happy cruising!

Craig

We brought a couple bottles of champagne and a bottle of wine on board. We arrived the day before so we were able to purchase at a liquor store in Fort Lauderdale. I had a small carry on that I kept with me when we boarded and had no problem at all. You can get glasses from room service when you need them. We did not take it to the dining room. They have a great Seghesio Zinfandel that was really good on the wine list. Have a great cruise.

We have brought a case on each Princess cruise. We use a rolling carry on bag. Our smaller one that is the size to fit in an overhead compartment of an airplane (it was great when the regs let us carry wine on a plane, of course no more) holds exactly one case of wine with just a little padding. We keep is with us at all times to make sure nothing gets broken. One note, a case of wine is very heavy so you need a very strong person to lift it onto the xray machines etc. So checking a well packed box may be the best option.

My take on the wine policies is that that the written policy is often very different than the enforcement policy. I always like to get current enforcement details from this board on the exact ship and port that I am sailing to help me plan my trip.

Have a great cruise.

BevMo sells styrofoam wine shippers for 3 or 12 bottles. They are currently have a $.05 sale (buy 1 bottle and get the 2 bottle of the same wine for $.05).

We were in San Fran and my friend took me to Bevmo.....WOW :D

We brought several bottles of wine on board in a rolling collapsible cooler. If you like you can have room steward fill with ice and have cold drinks. At the end of the cruise, you can collapse it and place in your luggage OR use it as an extra rolling bag to bring home some of those things you purchased on the cruise.:)

Thanks to all for responding. What is BevMo? I'm guessing it's a wine store. Is it close to Port Everglades?

Sadly, no. I checked. I shop them all the time here on the Left Coast. Great selection and good prices.

Thanks to all for responding. What is BevMo? I'm guessing it's a wine store. Is it close to Port Everglades?

The best and closest we have found to Port Everglades is Total Wine and More. Here is their website. You can even pre-order for pick up when you arrive: http://www.totalwine.com/StoreList.aspx?state=FL&store=904

The best and closest we have found to Port Everglades is Total Wine and More. Here is their website. You can even pre-order for pick up when you arrive: http://www.totalwine.com/StoreList.aspx?state=FL&store=904

I agree, I have been very impressed by Total Wine, there is another store across 17th from Total Wine on Cordova called Crown Liquor...but Total does a great job in every respect.

http://www.crownwineandspirits.com/default.aspx

We have brought a case on each Princess cruise. We use a rolling carry on bag.

My take on the wine policies is that that the written policy is often very different than the enforcement policy. I always like to get current enforcement details from this board on the exact ship and port that I am sailing to help me plan my trip.

Have a great cruise.

We too, have always carried multi bottles of wine on board Princess with no problem but we are leaving next week for Buenos Aires to board Royal Caribbean's Radiance of the Seas. This is our first time on RCCL and they sound pretty strict about their no alcohol policy. Does anyone know if they will overlook a bottle or two at each port. I'll be really bummed if I can't bring local wines on board.

We too, have always carried multi bottles of wine on board Princess with no problem but we are leaving next week for Buenos Aires to board Royal Caribbean's Radiance of the Seas. This is our first time on RCCL and they sound pretty strict about their no alcohol policy. Does anyone know if they will overlook a bottle or two at each port. I'll be really bummed if I can't bring local wines on board.

From what I have read, RCI is VERY strict and will take any alcohol away, including from your checked bags. They xray everything and even those using rum runners, water bottles refilled, etc, aren't able to smuggle anything onboard. This also goes for port calls, they will take any alcohol away that you try to bring onboard.

Looks like you better increase the budget for onboad spending, as I doubt you will be able to get anything past them. :(

RCI doesn't allow any alcohol of any kind brought on board, which we thought was kind of crazy considering most other lines allow it.

The cruise we took with them they were really looking for it in both checked luggage and carry-ons.

Unless you are very good at disguising it you may have a problem.....

RCI doesn't allow any alcohol of any kind brought on board, which we thought was kind of crazy considering most other lines allow it.

The cruise we took with them they were really looking for it in both checked luggage and carry-ons.

Unless you are very good at disguising it you may have a problem.....

Pretty hard to disguise a bottle of wine. This will definitely be a factor in my choice of cruises in the future. Thanks for the info.

Mariah55 - We have been on RCCL many times and also recently (after they changed their policy) and have had NO problems getting wine and beer and coolers on at embarkation in several different ports (Vancouver, Miami and LA ). We have had as many as 9 or 10 bottles in our checked luggage - no problem. We have had up to 5 bottles split between two carry-ons and port security saw them through the x-ray and didn't say a word. You have to remember that it is port security that controls the scanners NOT RCCL employees so they are looking for weapons - not alcohol. We never have taken hard liquor - only wine and beer - but know lots of people that have without a hitch. Now - at the ports of call is another story - the security people ARE ship's actual security that are manning the scanners so they are looking for booze specifically. I have seen them collecting booze at various ports. We have never attempted to take any booze on at a port on RCCL. Carnival, on the other hand, let us take booze on at every port on our recent Mexican Riviera cruise.

Hope this helps you!

Canuck

Total Wine in Ft L is a great store. Our taxi driver took us there and waited for us. Told us to take our time. They will pack your wine in a nice box with a handle for I think $3 extra. I carried 6 bottles of wine and a 12 pack of beer thru security no problems.

When we cruised on the Crown in December we went to Total Wine and bought 6 bottles of wine. And then also bought a cloth bag (like you can get for groceries) that has nice cloth dividers for wine bottles. We just carried this on with our 6 bottles. And have used the bag at home when we go to buy wine.

Variable Enforcement of alcohol policy was mentioned above. Of course enforcement is the issue, it is the ship's security officer on the day who will decide if he/she is going to enforce Princess policy. They may let you on with more than a couple of bottles of vino, but then again they may not. No argument from me, rules are rules, that is why we stick to 2 bottles each.

Like any type of enforcement, there are Enforcers and there are Enforcers.

Archived