Festa Del Redentore

Has anyone been in Venice for Festa del Redentore? We're getting an extra day and a half on the Oosterdam in Venice this July because they close the port for this huge celebration. It sounds exciting but I cannot find out much about it.

The Feast day itself is Sunday. Much more interesting (except if you specialize in religious events commemorating the end of plagues) is the evening before. Fireworks over the waters by S. Marco is just about as special as it gets. The locals go out on boats around sunset (heavily decorated) to eat dinner and drink some vino while awaiting the fireworks which begin at 11 or a bit later if I recall correctly. A fair number of the locals then had over to the Lido and party until dawn.

S. Marco Square will be packed with less than sober people. Great fun if you like crowds, but be watchful for pickpockets.

Also, a bridge of boats is built to the island of Redentore where the church built in thanks for the end of the plague was built (a church well worth seeing, by the way). This is an excellent place to watch the fireworks (a better place, I would imagine, is in a boat out in the basin, but that will cost real money).

I was in Venice for this a few years back, and it was wonderful.

You may be able to see the fireworks from afar, but I'd recommend getting closer. They were the most impressive fireworks I've ever seen. It will be busy, but it's fun to get out there and experience it. You don't have to be right in St. Mark's. I grabbed a bottle of wine and a piece of sidewalk right near the tip of Dorsoduro and had a great view.

Restaurants were all open as far as I remember. I had no trouble at all. Busy weekend of course, but still business as usual.

Definitely walk across the floating bridge to Giudecca! It's a big part of the festival, so take the chance to check it out.

Thank you so much for all your help! I'm wondering will the Doge's Palace, the shops and factories in Murano and Burano, etc. be open on Sunday of that weekend? Thanks again.

everything will be open that is usually open (I have no idea what the hours for the tourist traps (er, I mean shops) on the outer island normally are).

Yes, you will be able to see the fireworks from your ship!!

We were there last year for this festival. We were on the Zuiderdam and were docked in Venice for two nights precruise. Since we did alot of heavy touring during the day, we decided to stay on the ship the night of the festival. We and many others watched the fireworks display from the pool deck of the ship. The fireworks were spectacular and lasted almost an hour.

We had headed back to the ship around 5 p.m. or so, and things were starting to get really crazy in town. There were many large boats going up and down the Grand Canal playing loud music and carrying revelers in the pre-rowdy stage.

Whether you stay on the ship or mix in with the crowds, you will have a wonderful time.

Leigh

Archived