when to book a Thanksgiving week cruise

bludevil

Hi,

I'm planning to take a cruise on the Jewel with my family Thanksgiving week. When should we book for the best prices?

If we book and the prices go down, is there anything we can do?

Thanks!

Prices on holiday cruises always go up, not down. The sooner you book the better. On the other hand, the lowest prices most likely this year is the second week of December, just two to three weeks later. And that week will probably drop later in the year.

I usually agree wholeheartedly with anything DonHayes says, but can't do so this time. We booked in July last year for a Thanksgiving cruise and the day after final payment was due, the prices dropped significantly. If we had of waited 4 weeks, we would have saved over $1,800 on our three cabins. Now this was for Star on the west coast and all her sailings were at great prices...so maybe its not the same on the east coast?

And I have to second JaiJai's sentiments...I was on the cruise with almost 1000 kids...it wasn't so much the kids, as the fact that the ship had over 3000 guests or 130% occupancy so all the ship's services and staff were overwhelmed. I don't plan on taking a holiday cruise again due to this but if you do, just be prepared and patient.

"I usually agree wholeheartedly with anything DonHayes says, but can't do so this time. We booked in July last year for a Thanksgiving cruise and the day after final payment was due, the prices dropped significantly. If we had of waited 4 weeks, we would have saved over $1,800 on our three cabins. Now this was for Star on the west coast and all her sailings were at great prices...so maybe its not the same on the east coast?"

We sailed Thnksgiving week for two years in a row. Three yeas ago we sailed the Spiit and the rates went up pior to sailing. Two years ago we sailed on the Dawn and the rates went down - which worked out well for us as more of our family were able to cruise that originally could not go.

Last year the rates were just too high to start with and they never came down so we booked a land based all-inclusive which turned out to be cheaper. This year we may just stay home!!!

If you need a cabin with more than two berths, booking early is adviseable. There are fewer of those cabins and especially for holiday cruises, they go very fast. Also, the later you book, you can wind up in a less than desireable location. We booked a cruise 5 weeks out once (not a holiday one, but did need 3 berths) and wound up completely forward. Personally, I wouldn't do that again, and we aren't ones who spend much time in the cabin. But we heard the anchor at every tendor port very very early in the mornings.

Archived