power chair

raisincainus

Definitely check with the airline. One thing that they may ask is what type of battery it uses (for safety reasons there are rules around the transport of certain types of batteries).

If she is not able to fly with it, check into renting one before boarding the ship and then returning it before flying home. There are companies that rent them (here in Orlando, some will bring them to you if you are renting from them).

DW wants to take her power chair [like the hover round] so she can go on own on the ship. Problem is does anyone know if u can get them on an airplane?

Also, on a side note, remember, scooters, power chairs, etc now must be stored in your stateroom, they can not be left out in the hallways. So, if you have an accessible stateroom booked, this won't be a problem but most will not fit through regular doors to cabin unless the cabin is designated as handicapped. Enjoy!

Also, here is a link to the disabled traveler board, you might get more answers to your airline question there: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

You might want to look into renting a chair or scooter at the ship. We have done this in the past and have one reserved for or alaska cruise this year it is done by an outside company not Princess. We have not been on Princess yet but on our 2 Carnival cruises they let us park the scooter at the prusers desk at night and charge and left in hall during the day.

You might want to look into renting a chair or scooter at the ship. We have done this in the past and have one reserved for or alaska cruise this year it is done by an outside company not Princess. We have not been on Princess yet but on our 2 Carnival cruises they let us park the scooter at the prusers desk at night and charge and left in hall during the day.

I have been trying to find the Princess announcement for scooter storage, but can't seem to access it. I remember reading a statement from princess not too many years ago that scooters or power wheel chairs can no longer be store in the hallways or public areas. Since that time, I have not seen one stored outside the stateroom in the hall on any Princess cruise.

I actually agree with this policy as it is a passenger hazzard when there are so many in the hallway, plus the stewards can not get their carts through to clean rooms.

Booking an accessible stateroom takes care of this problem as the scooter can be taken inside the stateroom because of the oversized door, when not in use.

I will attempt to keep looking and see if I can find the statement from Princess. ;)

The statement about not leaving wheelchairs outside the cabin can be found in http://www.princess.com/learn/answer/before_you_leave/ready.jsp,

"Passengers utilizing mobility devices with batteries are advised that the batteries must be a dry cell type and must be stored and recharged in the stateroom. Mobility devices of any kind, like other items, may not be left outside the stateroom."

The statement about not leaving wheelchairs outside the cabin can be found in http://www.princess.com/learn/answer/before_you_leave/ready.jsp,

"Passengers utilizing mobility devices with batteries are advised that the batteries must be a dry cell type and must be stored and recharged in the stateroom. Mobility devices of any kind, like other items, may not be left outside the stateroom."

Thank you so much. I had searched this AM and couldn't find it, I knew it was there somewhere. Appreciate you supplying the Princess policy on this. :)

Toto2Kansas, my pleasure. We're doing our first-ever cruise (cruisetour to Alaska) this May on the Coral. I've gotten a wealth of information and tips from all you seasoned "cruisers" on this board, so I try to "pay back" what I can. THANK YOU ALL!!!

Thanks for your replys, didn,t want to spend the extra money but would be easiest to rent on I guess.
As has been said, even if you rent one you'd need to be booked in a handicapped-designated cabin which has a wider door so you can get the scooter inside; you won't be able to leave it in the hallway or anywhere else. This is something you need to discuss with your TA and confirm before renting a scooter while onboard.

Thanks for your replys, didn,t want to spend the extra money but would be easiest to rent on I guess.

For us, the lack of "hassle" has far offset the rental cost. We are International travelers and the thought of binging a scooter through customs lines, etc is Just something we don't need to add to our travel complexity. This way, we travel with my wife's manual chair, which all airlines handle without problems, so it is also available when we need it. We book an accessible cabin, and then contact the rental company recommended by the cruise line. The scooter will be in your cabin before you board, and you just leave it there at the end of the cruise.

Archived