Debarkation Question

Spice12725

I will be staying in San Juan post cruise and am in no hurry to get off the ship. Can I just "chill" in my room until the end of debarkation? How will I know when the last people are getting off the ship? Thanks in advance.

Nope. You can chill somewhere else onboard but not in your cabin. Your room steward needs to get it ready for the next passengers.

We have waited till the very end to get off the ship in a public area, sometimes inside and sometimes out on a deck. There will be an announcement on the loud speakers that everyone needs to disembark. You will hear screaming and dragging of nails across the deck as they drag people off. No, wait . . . that was me!

Enjoy your cruise and San Juan.

Nope. You can chill somewhere else onboard but not in your cabin. Your room steward needs to get it ready for the next passengers.

We have waited till the very end to get off the ship in a public area, sometimes inside and sometimes out on a deck. There will be an announcement on the loud speakers that everyone needs to disembark. You will hear screaming and dragging of nails across the deck as they drag people off. No, wait . . . that was me!

Enjoy your cruise and San Juan.

This information may or may not be correct. All depends on what cruiseline you're using. HAL allows you to stay in you're cabin until it's time to debark the ship.

They will make an announcement when it's time for you to get off the ship, usually no later than 10:30 or 11:00 am?

Out of San Juan the cruiseline choices are Carnival, RCCL, Princess, or Celebrity. Out of those choices, I think RCCL and possibly Celebrity allow people to stay in their rooms until time to disembark.

HAL doesn't have any ships that go out of San Juan.

BUT -- this is true for all cruise lines. The number count must down to ZERO -- in other words the entire ship must be cleared before any new passengers are allowed on the ship.

So you can figure you will be off the ship about 9:30.

Out of San Juan the cruiseline choices are Carnival, RCCL, Princess, or Celebrity. Out of those choices, I think RCCL and possibly Celebrity allow people to stay in their rooms until time to disembark.

On RCCL, you need to be out of your cabin by 8.

I am sorry I was not specific about the line I will be on...I didn't think about that! :-) I am sailing on the AOS (RCCL) out of San Juan on the 12th. Thank you all for your help. This forum has been invaluable to me!

RCCL changed the procedures in the last few months and you no longer have to vacate your cabin by 8am.

This is true, but there are still suggested wait areas as there will be no announcements made in the cabin ... on in specified areas. I believe that if you wait in your cabin the only way to know the progress of the debarkation is to keep your television on the announcement channel.

We have a 11:30 flt out of PR, on RCCL they had a system where you notified them if needed an early debarkation to catch a flt. Does Princess have something like this? Can't be waiting till 10-10:30 to be getting off ship & get to airport. Our ship is docking at 6am. Thank you in advance for any info.

We have a 11:30 flt out of PR, on RCCL they had a system where you notified them if needed an early debarkation to catch a flt. Does Princess have something like this? Can't be waiting till 10-10:30 to be getting off ship & get to airport. Our ship is docking at 6am. Thank you in advance for any info.

Go to the purser's desk during the first half of the cruise and advise them of your flight time and ask for early departure.

Go to the purser's desk during the first half of the cruise and advise them of your flight time and ask for early departure.

thank you. was limited on n/s flts back. heard that the airport there is small and crazy esp. on days the cruise ships are embarking /disembarking.

In San Juan, RCI offers a service where you can check you bags in on the ship and you don't have to take them with you to the airport. Maybe Princess offers it also. We use this when available and it saves us a lot of time at the airport. (maybe called valet service?) If this is available, I suggest you check into it. The $20 per pp was well worth it. We didn't have to worry about our luggage while flying and voila! it was there at the end of our flight.

Have a great cruise. SJU itineraries are wonderful!

Archived