Deck layout help

seavac

We've cruised with O before...and love it...trying to book again and want to be sure to avoid being right across from laundry...I remember it is on the seventh floor, inside, but can't remember what cabin it's opposite ...does anyone know where it's located on the Nautica?

hahahaaa...cute ! I have to look at the ship layout and see how close we are to the laundry now...cabin 7066.

You are fine ...just around the corner but not backing on to the laundry

Lyn

We spent 26 days in 7078. 7076 is directly across from the laundry door, but the door to 7078 is only about 4 feet from the door to 7076. That put us pretty close to the laundry.

It was never a problem, but was actually kind of an advantage. Once our cabin door was closed, we never heard a sound, even if there were conversations in the hall outside the laundry. Even entering or leaving our cabin, we never heard an obnoxious sound. As far as we were concerned, it was almost as if the laundry wasn't there at all. The laundry is also closed in the later evening, so that could never be a problem.

There have been rumors of arguments over machine use on other cruises, but we never saw any poor behavior. I think that tends to happen only if you happen to have two obnoxious people in the laundry at one time, which would be pretty rare on Oceania.

There were two advantages, depending on how sociable you are. The main advantage, especially when one is aboard for 26 days, was the ability to peek out the door and see if the laundry was available. If you are elsewhere on the ship, it can be a pain to find an open machine. The social advantage was that the laundry was a friendly gathering place. Many of the entertainers and lecturers used the facility, and it was fun to get in a conversation with them if one noticed them when passing by. Since we "passed by" every time we came and went from our cabin, we saw lots of friends and interesting folks. Once, we even got to share a bottle of wine with the other "patrons" in the laundry (a friend's husband had purchased the wine but didn't like it. "Get rid of it", he said, so she brought it with her to the laundry).

We liked it enough to initially book the cabin again for our Cape Horn cruise, but then we learned that the sights would be better on the starboard side and changed to 7085. We are trying an aft cabin (7116) on our next cruise, but will probably gravitate back to 7076 or 7078 in the future. Great location!

The laundry is in the center of the ship, bracketed between 7076 and 7079. The door is on the 7076 side.

Perfect...We're in 7051--so we're on the other side of the ship and a little ways down...Close enough that we can easily use it that one day midway through the cruise we'll likely need to, but far enough away that there are no issues...

I'm not really worried about noise, but I have been on ships where, passing the laundry, I've noticed what to me were funny or peculiar smells...bleach, some laundry detergents maybe...

But, it is a nice convenience to have...especially on long European cruises where you cannot pack all that much...some cruise lines don't have them...You can send everything to be dry cleaned, but I know my wife likes the idea of laundering her own socks and underwear...

That's true -- the smell we noticed was of the hot dryers, a bit of a musty smell of hot, damp clothing. It was noticeable in passing. However, it really didn't get more than a couple of feet from the laundry door, and everyone on the Port side of Deck 7 passes the laundry sooner or later...

the smell we noticed was of the hot dryers, a bit of a musty smell of hot, damp clothing. It was noticeable in passing

I love that smell! It is so clean and "start of a new day"

Of course, I also love the smell of gasoline (only 50% of us do, so they say)

And then, Madison Avenue has convinced us all that we love "new car smell" even though that is probably the worst concoction of chemical fumes ever.

Speaking of smells (well, typing of them, anyway), years ago ships, which were all wood paneling and linoleum, smelled like wood polish and floor wax.

What do todays ships smell like? :confused: Is it new rugs? :confused:

What do todays ships smell like? :confused: Is it new rugs? :confused:

I think so... I get terrible allergy attacks when I am on a new or recently refurbished ship. I was told that new carpet is loaded with formaldehyde.

Luckily I had a balcony each time so could air out the space. If I had been in an oceanview I would have been a miserable mess.

Jana

We spent 26 days in 7078. 7076 is directly across from the laundry door, but the door to 7078 is only about 4 feet from the door to 7076. That put us pretty close to the laundry.

It was never a problem, but was actually kind of an advantage. Once our cabin door was closed, we never heard a sound, even if there were conversations in the hall outside the laundry. Even entering or leaving our cabin, we never heard an obnoxious sound. As far as we were concerned, it was almost as if the laundry wasn't there at all. The laundry is also closed in the later evening, so that could never be a problem.

There have been rumors of arguments over machine use on other cruises, but we never saw any poor behavior. I think that tends to happen only if you happen to have two obnoxious people in the laundry at one time, which would be pretty rare on Oceania.

There were two advantages, depending on how sociable you are. The main advantage, especially when one is aboard for 26 days, was the ability to peek out the door and see if the laundry was available. If you are elsewhere on the ship, it can be a pain to find an open machine. The social advantage was that the laundry was a friendly gathering place. Many of the entertainers and lecturers used the facility, and it was fun to get in a conversation with them if one noticed them when passing by. Since we "passed by" every time we came and went from our cabin, we saw lots of friends and interesting folks. Once, we even got to share a bottle of wine with the other "patrons" in the laundry (a friend's husband had purchased the wine but didn't like it. "Get rid of it", he said, so she brought it with her to the laundry).

We liked it enough to initially book the cabin again for our Cape Horn cruise, but then we learned that the sights would be better on the starboard side and changed to 7085. We are trying an aft cabin (7116) on our next cruise, but will probably gravitate back to 7076 or 7078 in the future. Great location!

That's a most interesting observation by you. Is there an entrance to the laundry room from either side via both the port and starboard sides of the ship's corridors? Thus your observations regarding cabins 7076 and 7078 would equally apply to cabins 7079 and 7081?

Nope, on the one side. We made some good friends in the laundry room....

Thank you for that instant response. I'm booked in cabin 7081 so without nearby access to the laundry room!!

So glad to know there are other laundry room lovers out there. I usually get flamed for saying I would much rather have a machine available and I have met the neatest (yeah nice and clean:p) people in laundries all over the world. One of my travel partners does hers in the sink and has never put foot in the laundry. To each our own style.

Hong Kong and the Amazon River where people live on the boats also have fine displays of laundry drying. Older European towns with the laundry lines that go out over the street are interesting but this old American girl wants her dryer.

On a trip through China in 1979 a member of our group involved me, as the tour leader, in his laundry problem at the hotel. He complained to the 'floor boy' about the delay in getting his laundry back. The response: "But Sir, it has been raining for two days!" (No sunshine, no laundry).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I'm from Australia, so need to know what kind of currency to use in the washing machine and dryer - US, or Euros?

I hope I don't have to get US $$ as well just for the laundry!!:rolleyes: Our poor A$ is at the bottom of the heap!

Also - how much is a load to wash and dry?

Archived