Certified letter from Spouse to take kids on cruise without spouse?

Vacation2010

I've read through this thread and I'm more confused than ever. I've traveled all over the world with my son (since he was an infant) to places including the U.K. Germany, France, Belgium and Mexico without my husband and have never once been asked to produce a letter or permission from anyone. Never, not once!

I have to agree with the poster who asked how does anyone even know if there is another parent or not. So many people are raising children alone these days. Singles are adopting children. People are having children without a spouse or even a father's name on the birth certificate. I understand that all children have a father, but what if he's just an anonymous sperm donor or maybe a deadbeat who disappeared? What then?

I'm one of those whose children came into the world unconventionally. I had the choice of having no father listed on the birth certificate or naming the father. I have also traveled all over the world alone with my twins and have only been asked once for documentation that I had the right to be travelling alone with my girls, but I always have it with me. Single parents of all kinds are usually able to have whatever proof is necessary -birth certificates or adoption papers will note if it's a single parent family, or a court can issue papers. If I wasn't able to have the paperwork, I would certainly be sure to always have trip insurance that would cover any delay/cancellation caused by my failure to have the documentation. The time I was asked, I was coming INTO the U.S. from a cruise - which I thought was odd, but really could have cost me if I didn't have the proof and had a plane to catch.

Best,

Mia

This particular law is specific to the US so if you are LEAVING the US you need the letter. Not everyone asks for it but you are suppose to have it and if they do ask you better have it.

So those that have traveled TO the US or traveled in other countries it doesn't mean anything that you never needed a letter.

When we flew from LAX to San Juan my brother was asked for proof to travel with his son before he was allowed to board the plane. Had he not had the Court Order allowing him to do so would have meant that he would have missed the flight and the cruise. He had full legal custody of his son. When we traveled to Alaska, boarding in LA, he had his notarized letter handy to show. Good thing too because they did ask before he was allowed to board the ship. His girlfriend who was traveling with her two little ones, was not asked. Personally I think its great that they ask. I'm taking my 4 YO grandson on a cruise next month and I can assure you, we will have a letter along with a copy of the parents passports verifying their signature on the letter. Its just not worth it not to have it. The same goes for medical care.

I've read through this thread and I'm more confused than ever. I've traveled all over the world with my son (since he was an infant) to places including the U.K. Germany, France, Belgium and Mexico without my husband and have never once been asked to produce a letter or permission from anyone. Never, not once!

I have to agree with the poster who asked how does anyone even know if there is another parent or not. So many people are raising children alone these days. Singles are adopting children. People are having children without a spouse or even a father's name on the birth certificate. I understand that all children have a father, but what if he's just an anonymous sperm donor or maybe a deadbeat who disappeared? What then?

Rules are never completely followed. You were just lucky, or perhaps it was a long time ago, if you weren't asked for this letter when traveling to Mexico. Years ago, before child abduction became an issue, it wasn't needed. Laws have changed.

If you are traveling alone with a child, you may be asked for this documentation; you never know when this will happen.

If there is no dad listed on the BC, you need to have a copy of the BC. If you have sole custody, or child is adopted only by you, you need to bring this legal paperwork with you. If you do not have sole custody, and you can't find the other parent or can't obtain a permission letter for some other reason, you can get a court order allowing you to travel with the child.

My ex is a deadbeat dad, but that doesn't mean he has lost his parental rights. I still need this letter to take our child out-of-the country. Does that mean I should have to? That's another debate and a moot point here.

Or, if you are willing to lose all your money/be denied boarding, you can just take your chances and travel without this paperwork. Sometimes you will be o.k. Sometimes not. Everyone can make their own choice.

Last week we took 6 grandkids on a cruise -- I had all their birth certificates & notarized signed letters from all parents with me.

At embarkation/check-in the lady looked at all the birth certif. but did not really look at any of the letters.

US Customs when getting off ship looked briefly at birth certif. and matched BC with each of kids, but he did not look at all at the letters.

Our 3 grandkids in high school each had school photo IDs & drivers licenses -- but 3 younger ones did not have any photo ids.

Cozumel military/customs gave us some hasstle (sp?) trying to walk back to ship because Mike & I did not have our PHOTO IDS -- our ship never told us to take photo ids there as they did when we got off in Jamaica.

Here's the Rule: Get the letters and you probably wont use them. If you don't get letters, you will surely be asked about it!!!!

Ok... I am a military wife traveling next week with my children. Yes, we are going to Mexico. I booked only a few days ago... (last minute). No chance on earth I can get a notarized letter from my husband where he is located before the cruise sails. He did get the "consent to travel" form off the website and filled it out, signed it, then e-mailed it to me from his official government account. Carnival said that would be ok since we "have the same last name (?)". But I do not want to be denied boarding... any advice on who I should call to verify?

I have traveled out of the country to Europe and Asia each twice with the kids and never needed or had a letter... I had no idea I needed one until I got the confirmation e-mail.

Thanks

Amy

I always bring a letter from my ex (notarized) stating that he knows where we will be going (I list the cities and countries) and he gives his permission for me to take them. I put his contact information on there as well. I was asked for the letter in Canada on my return to the US, which was pretty ironic. I would not travel without it. No sense in taking a chance on being hastled or having something happen. It only took a few minutes and a trip to the notary. I agree that they do not know if you are single, married or divorced but I didn't want to take a chance they'd ask my kids for that information. At least you don't have to worry that your husband won't sign the letter!

Ok... I am a military wife traveling next week with my children. Yes, we are going to Mexico. I booked only a few days ago... (last minute). No chance on earth I can get a notarized letter from my husband where he is located before the cruise sails. He did get the "consent to travel" form off the website and filled it out, signed it, then e-mailed it to me from his official government account. Carnival said that would be ok since we "have the same last name (?)". But I do not want to be denied boarding... any advice on who I should call to verify?

I have traveled out of the country to Europe and Asia each twice with the kids and never needed or had a letter... I had no idea I needed one until I got the confirmation e-mail.

Thanks

Amy

I think you'll be okay based on your circumstances. You have an adequate explanation and documentation from his government account. Next time (if there is one), do try to get the letter notarized though. Regardless of what others experienced (as with Cruisin Kay D below), the bottom line is that you can be required to show notarized authorization. Most of the time, you likely won't be, but if you are required to show it and don't have it, you can be denied boarding. Members here have reported that happening more than once. While you may think you don't need any authorization for Europe or Asia, it's not necessarily true. Any country can, at any time, require such proof.

I think you'll be fine in this case, so don't spend too much time fretting about it.

amylynns: I think you will be OK. I don't think you will be asked for letter on Carnival -- like I said earlier -- all she looked at closely were birth certificates to be sure I had all 6.

You have got to be kidding me....I have to get my EX to sign a form??

No one told me that...Not the TA...I have a passport for him...that better be good enough !!??

Your TA should have given you this information. As others have written, a passport is not permission to travel out of the country on a specific trip. Please, try to get your ex to sign the form just in case you are one of those singled out.

beachchick

good stuff here. I am considering taking my 2 nieces and nephew on a cruise. What will I be asked for? Just a letter from their parents?

You need a notarized permission to travel letter from both parents and a medical consent form. Good idea to have their insurance cards, if they have one. Also, I don't know where you are crusing, but you'll need either birth certificates or passports.

Archived