Cruise to Alaska in September???

TomAndJane

My mom and dad's 50th anniversary is coming up and we want to take them on a cruise. Right now we have a 7 day cruise to Canada/New England booked but Alaska keeps coming up.

We have been to Alaska three times (Always in MAY) and Canada/New England three times so we are familiar with the ports, etc. This will probably be my mom and dads only cruise of their life.

So, do we take them to NYC and then onto Canada or do we go to Seattle and onto Alaska?

The cruise would be September 5 - 12 either way. I know a lot of people advise against going to Alaska in September because of the weather. I also know that the day light will not nearly be as much as in May (4:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. on inside trips compared to 6:15 a.m. - 7:15 p.m.) and the whales will be leaving soon instead or returning.

I need your advise. My wife and I are torn on this one. One minute we want to stay with what we have planned the next second we want to change our plans.

Cruise lines are offering great pricing for '09 Alaska cruises. I understand the weather is a concern to many of us however, its Alaska. I'd take my chances, who knows, it may be a great/dry week. TAny day on cruise in Alaska is better than a day on land! I may be on the same ship, Golden Princess, r/t from Seattle.

Chris

We went on an Alaska cruistour in September two years ago. The weather was great. Brisk, but no rain. The color of the trees in the interior was beautiful. We saw plenty of whales. Another great bonus was that the Salmon were running in Ketchikan. Plus there were fewer tourists. Being one of the last cruises of the season, the merchandise in the shops and on the ship were on sale everywhere. We liked it so much that we are going back this September.

Well you do already know about the risk you take on this timeframe, and it having the worse potential for weather. Of the two areas, Alaska gets my vote, but I also live near the New England cruises, and have picked them up. BUT only as cheap jaunts. Last Sept. the entire month ran for $299-399. I'll speculate it will be again this year too, late booked. In my opinion, if going on the East Coast, Bermuda is FAR better, in my opinion.

Anyway, only you can decide, so pick one?

Archived