WiFi Access

Wondering if anyone has had experience with free WiFi access during their Med Cruise? Am I likely to find one easily while in port, thus allowing me to get email on my iPhone, at least during port days?

Is the WiFi concept the same in Europe as it is here in North America?

Bob

The answer would be a yes. Europe is very much like the USA with WiFi and is actually ahead of us when it comes to Television (we do not have teletext), ATMs (they now can handle smart cards, and many cell services such as handling credit card sales at your restaurant table (they use a wireless reader) rather than take your card off to places unknown and used by persons unknown. There are some web sites like free-hotspot.com that use maps to show some free spots. But we have seen more and more European cafes/restaurants/coffee shops that put up signs indicating they have free WiFi. Unfortunately, like here in the states there are always security issues when using unsecured free WiFi. You should always assume that anything you do can and will be monitored and intercepted by bad folks. By the way, the best place to learn about internet cafes and free hotspots is from the crew on your ship. It never hurts to ask around and dont forget ordinary folks like your stewards, waiters, bar tenders and even entertainers. We have learned much more from honest crew members than from so-called paid experts like port lecturers who gererally push shops and restaurants that give kick-backs to the port lecturer and his/her company (often a franchise).

Hank

Hank

Jiwire has a decent iPhone app for finding hot spots -- actually two; one for free and paid and the other for free only.

They also have an interactive map on the web:

http://v4.jiwire.com/search-hotspot-locations.htm

It is not, of course, a complete list or anything close to it.

You might want to google fee wifi hotspots europe (or similar) for additional resources.

Hi..

Great tip Hank..On my last Med cruise I managed to 'blow' my phone recharger using the wrong converter..My cabin steward found a crew member with the same phone and provided a recharger when needed..I've always had excellent service but Christian went a step further and more than earned the extra tip..

Carol

Hi..

Has anyone had experience with the ship's wi-fi?..Cost?..We will be on the Ruby Princess TA later this month..Thanks in advance for any information..

Carol

Carol...Princess has fixed rate for several plans(meaning minutes) that you can purchase and if you are Platinum or Elite the rate is less as they give you a dollar amount allowance for the cruise.

We usually sign up the first day in the internet cafe and sometimes (we were on the Emerald in November) there were added minutes for signing up early. If you are planning to bring your own laptop they will show you how to sign on..but you MUST always remember to sign off otherwise it will eat up all your minutes.

Look forward to meeting you.

Anita

Carol...Princess has fixed rate for several plans(meaning minutes) that you can purchase and if you are Platinum or Elite the rate is less as they give you a dollar amount allowance for the cruise.

We usually sign up the first day in the internet cafe and sometimes (we were on the Emerald in November) there were added minutes for signing up early. If you are planning to bring your own laptop they will show you how to sign on..but you MUST always remember to sign off otherwise it will eat up all your minutes.

Look forward to meeting you.

Anita

Thanks Anita..

I am a platinum member and have used the ship's internet cafe in the past and will take advantage of the "perk' received from Princess..( a little 'tongue in cheek' humor..;) ) I plan to use my laptop for photo storage and figured if I can access the ship's WIFI system, I could check email, the web and use the webcam..The fact that I even mention this should tell you how computer naive I am and this post will no doubt generate a chuckle or two..

Thanks for your help and I look forward to seeing you at the Meet & Greet..I plan to set up a table for the magnets..

13 days and counting..

Carol

Carol

Free Wi-Fi access is provided by the Authority of the Port of Piraeus (Athens,Greece) and you will be able to use it while berthed.

Other places with free access are the Syntagma and Omonoia squares in Athens.

There should be more, that I am not aware of.

Archived