CENTURY..Sanitation inspection score of 79

gwrod

Welcome to the long term effects of RCI...some you see, some you don't see.

Someone should be fired for this and any and all pax with upcoming cruises bookes should be given the option of their money back...even (especially!!) if their cruise is in the next or so...no excuse for this!

Yes Ocngypz I did read the whole report...what a difference a year makes. It was pretty good last year this time. I do have to agree, the roaches in the galley did me in, but that was only 3 points of the 21 deducted....

It is disappointing...and I'm sure efforts were made immediately to correct most issues. The crew is likely going to get balled out by Celebrity for being the only vessel in their group to fail. I was actually most disturbed by the milk storage and service being too warm.

On another note, though I have an abject hatred for roaches, it will be a complete and physical impossibility to eliminate roaches from a ship. Notice even in the report, the corrective action and the inspection goal is to MINIMIZE the presence of bugs/rodents IN THE FOOD SERVICE areas. Not eliminate...and not even rate their presence in other areas. Now I do think Century's crew can clean up better and use pesticide better around the galley and food service areas to prevent most of the roaches from going there...but there will still be dozens, even hundreds, of roaches onboard every vessel that has ever touched shore or loaded a crate. Including all cruise ships!

If you really want to know how astounding roaches are...check out the galley on any airliner you are traveling on. Somehow the annoying little critters have come aboard every airplane in service through loading/unloading, and make quite a happy living hanging out mostly below the passenger deck where you rarely see them unless you work on a plane. Whole roach family trees have bred exclusively in airplanes. Even at 50,000 feet, in a pressurized, enclosed metal tube raised off the ground on tires and operating strictly on vast fields of tarmac, roaches have flourished.

Not to mention their ability to live on every continent, in every known climate, survive enough direct radiation to kill all other life, and their ability to develop immunities within 1 generation, even to chemicals like bug sprays designed to kill them.

Try not to think of them. ;-)

And let's hope Century's crew got on the ball and will make sure to never let it slip again.

We're sailing on the Century 12/24. I guess that will give them time to get things back in order.

I noticed in looking at past scores for the Century that there are generally two inspections each year. Does the CDC move up the next inspection date when a ship fails? (I know that restaurants that get a B or C rating in North Carolina can request a reinspection a couple of weeks later.)

It is very disapointing to see a drop in score like that. Being a floridian I do encounter my share of bugs and have to agree with zack. They'll be here on this earth long after were all gone. Still...the thought of them in the butcher's saw was what really turned my stomach.

btw zack..like your new sig...easier to read

Welcome to the long term effects of RCI...some you see, some you don't see.

Someone should be fired for this and any and all pax with upcoming cruises bookes should be given the option of their money back...even (especially!!) if their cruise is in the next or so...no excuse for this!

Well, Danno...I don't think you can really blame RCI. Their ships scored from 90 (only 3 ships) to 100.

Thanks sunpsyche...I wanted a graphic, but kept getting complaints that it was too large. Plus I had created it on my work computer with simple cut and paste, so the words were not very clear. This time, I downsized one of my nicer new pics to a manageable size, sharpened it in my good editing software at home, and added high-contrast graphics over the top in a separate layer. I think it is more readable, small enough to display on even the lowest-resolution computers (I guess some people on here are still using 640x480 screen sizes!), and has some pop!

TATKA - You're right. I never quite understood the bad rap on RCCL's purchase of Celebrity...it seems to me Celebrity really began to position itself as a premium line AFTER RCCL got a hold of them, and RCCL itself was already a middle-line brand with a strong reputation and loyal following.

It isn't like some bargain mass-market Walmart-at-Sea brand bought them and rolled them into one big seagoing monopoly of clonification and corporate parts-bin sharing...as has happened to pretty much the rest of the cruise industry. I consider RCCL to be a stand-against-the-flow company, boldly challenging the Goliath, and saving Celebrity from an almost certain fate of Carnivalication.

We are due to sail on the Century Jan22/05. I was deeply disturbed reading this report and I have sent a letter to Mr Williams asking when the problems will be resolved. I also told him that the topic was being discussed on the CC boards and that I would be happy to post his response.

We'll see if I get a response.

Toni

:eek: I have to admit, the whole roaches thing made me a little green. Yuck, we're booked on Century for a back-to-back in February. I suppose I should preface every meal order with "hold the roaches, please."

Well, Danno...I don't think you can really blame RCI. Their ships scored from 90 (only 3 ships) to 100.
I own a small business...if I'm away on vacation and something goes wrong, a customer is unhappy, a customers car is damaged or not repaired properly, I AM AT FAULT!!

If the management I have put in place hasn't done their job I am still responible...If they wanted to their job and I put constraints on them, I'm at fault...If I did not make sure that my standards were being met, I am at fault...not matter what, good owners understand that their employees actions are only an extension of what they allow to happen...when you get the big pay cheque, you better have big shoulders. Looking for someone else to blame is a mark of poor leadership...I don't expect RCI to blame anyone but themselves, rightfully so.

Excuses are cheap...I don't feel quite so good about our cruise on Century in Feb...:(

USHA!! We are aboard Feb 19th...is this one of your dates??

If the management I have put in place hasn't done their job I am still responible...If I did not make sure that my standards were being met, I am at fault...no matter what, good owners understand that their employees actions are only an extension of what they allow to happen. I don't expect RCI to blame anyone but themselves, rightfully so.

Quite true...but to look at it another way, sometimes bad management or bad service cannot be prevented, only reacted to. If you hire competent or qualified management to run part of your business, and one day they do a bad job, elicit customer complaints, or fail an inspection, you could not have known they would perform this way and could do nothing about it. What makes the difference between a good owner and a bad one is how they react to the problem, and how quickly.

Responsibility will always fall in the lap of the owner, good or bad. But responsibility doesn't always signify a bad company. If the customer complaints continue to mount, or inspections continue to fail, and the owner fails to correct the problem or replace the management, THEN they can be called a bad owner and the company should suffer the consequences. But if the owner, upon learning of the issue, immediately corrects the problems, works to respond to customer complaints and reimburse for troubles, or fires the management, the owner shows his commitment and concern for the company and should be rewarded for quickly rectifying the situation.

Time will tell if corrective actions are taken on the Century immediately. But one can look to the record of that company's other vessels to see if this is a common trend to always be behind the eight ball trying to sqeak above inspections time after time throughout the fleet, or if this was a lone instance of poor management or staff on one vessel in an otherwise exemplary fleet. Given Celebrity's other ships' ratings and Royal Caribbean's fleet ratings currently and historically, this would seem to be more the anomaly than the rule.

I really hated to see this! A CC who returned last week mentioned something about no water at dinner one night....people make fun of me for enjoying my bottled water!!! :p

Hope this sets some heads rolling on the Century!!! That is a LOW score!!!! :eek:

Archived