If you were me

kcep02

Now, this is just my $.02, of course...

Go on your cruise, bring your birth certificate and proper photo ID. It's all that's required by the law and all that WILL be required for the foreseeable future. I'm not saying that a passport isn't a good idea... it's just not required.

If, God forbid, something did happen the local US consulate can arrange for a legal return to the US for you without undo delay.

Have a great cruise!!

I agree.

I agree - the fee is outrageous (and even THAT does not ensure a SECURE document, as it evidenced by recent news reports)!!

On the subject of fees... we are having one of our A/C units replaced today (HOPEFULLY --- yes it's in the 80's down here!) since the compressor BIT THE DUST. The repair guy told me he first has to put in for a $90 permit with the county.... :rolleyes:

Tom

Aye... there's the rub...

It's not the document that I'm bothered about it's the foolish TAXATION that's applied to it, just as in your case.

:mad:

My husband and I are going on the Glory May 23-30. We just booked the cruise a week ago. We don't have passports. Would you apply for one or just use the birth cert. and pray there are no problems?

You have nothing to lose by having them so go for it.

After all this time, I don't understand why people still resist getting passports. I've had one since I was 14 - and that's 40 years, now! It's not where the money is in a cruise or any other trip.

Read Host Mach's post above. Assume a family of five with no plans to engage in other international travel takes a one time five day cruise. That would be $500 for a cruise probably costing less than $2000.

That's quite a pill to swallow for something that is: (1) Not required, and (2) Likely to be used one time.

If you are a frequent international traveler, then of course a passport makes sense and will likely be required since you will probably be flying internationally. For others, the analysis may be murkier.

$100 for a 10-year document is unreasonable?

It's not that $100 for ten years is unreasonable. It's that an extra $500 for many families can put a cruise vacation beyond their reach.

I've had a passport for nearly 50 years. I'm thankful that I can afford my vacations. But I also recognize how the extra cost can be a burden to others with lesser means. And let's not forget that for most cruises, passports are not required.

It's not that $100 for ten years is unreasonable. It's that an extra $500 for many families can put a cruise vacation beyond their reach.

I've had a passport for nearly 50 years. I'm thankful that I can afford my vacations. But I also recognize how the extra cost can be a burden to others with lesser means. And let's not forget that for most cruises, passports are not required.

Had it not been for the pressure from the cruise industry and cruisers a passport WOULD have been required making an otherwise affordable vacation out of reach for many people.

Let's look at something here... The CBP REQUIRES a manifest of passengers boarding a cruise ship an hour in advance to sailing so the names can be vetted. They KNOW who's on board the vessel. A photo ID is REQUIRED and, in the case of Carnival, a digital image of the passenger is added to the Sail and Sign card.

It's not a question of security as the same people, already vetted by CBP, are getting off the ship upon return that got on. It's not a question of other countries being visited requiring additional documentation. It's the question of a FEE to travel, plain and simple.

Whether it's a ten year document or a twenty year document makes little to no difference. As was mentioned, few families will travel internationally with any frequency and the cost of a passport could often be the factor that breaks the proverbial camel's back.

I HAVE a passport... have for ages... but that has nothing to do with the fact that we're paying $100 for a document that's not worth more than about $8 with the RFID chip included...

It's a tax and nothing else... Why pay it if you don't have to?

:confused:

We would be going on a cruise in '10. We have passports. Do we need to bring them on the islands? How about showing them while leaving from Florida?

Thanks!

You'll be required to produce documentation as proof of citizenship, be it a passport or a valid birth certificate and a proper photo ID, during the check in process prior to boarding.

Read Host Mach's post above. Assume a family of five with no plans to engage in other international travel takes a one time five day cruise. That would be $500 for a cruise probably costing less than $2000.

Well, there ya go. I've never encountered a cruise that cost less than $2000.

My husband and I are going on the Glory May 23-30. We just booked the cruise a week ago. We don't have passports. Would you apply for one or just use the birth cert. and pray there are no problems?

If you have the money and travel very often, even domestically, it is a good idea to get passports. Time should not be an issue, but keep a second birth certificate at home.

The key to my statement is if you can afford it.

Get the passports. I applied for mine on Tuesday and was told I should have it by May 10. Just do it ASAP. The lady that did my passport told me that you can cruise without a passport but depending on where your cruise goes the authorities may not let you off the ship. According to her if your ports of call are US Territories you are fine with just a Birth Cirtificate and State ID but if it's not you will need a passport. If you want to you can go to the Dept. of State website and they have a "Do I need a passport?" link where you can put in the countries you are visiting and how you're getting there and it will tell you. I hope this helped.

I don't usually try to argue, well maybe I do, but the highlighted part is pyre rubbish. You never see anyone from local customs at any of the islands in the Caribbean. In fact some lines that I cruise on take your passport when you board and return it at final disembarkation. You never need it on any island. I won't say most, but I will say that even on Carnival and the other mass market lines large numbers of people never take their passports out of their cabin after they board the ship.

Well, there ya go. I've never encountered a cruise that cost less than $2000.

My last 3 cruises for a family of 4 were under $2000. $400 is a bitter pill to swallow and we are debating it right now for a possible cruise on the Freedom in July. I thought they were required before today but now I am starting to wonder if I had gotten bad information. I will be doing more research because I do not want to pay an additional $400 if I don't have to. I want to enjoy a vacation at the least possible expense.

Well... first, the OP asked for an opinion and everything I've stated simply supports my opinion.

Second, I think the fee for a passport is INSANE. I've had a passport since the early 70s but I think the current fees are an undo burden on a family. ONE passport for a solo traveler costing $100 or more is almost acceptable but $500 for a family of 5 to take a vacation is silly.

As long as the REQUIRED documents are a valid birth certificate and proper photo ID I'll maintain my position... or until the price of a passport becomes more reasonable...

C'mon now, Mach, why would the US government make spending money outside of the confines of the good ol' US cheap and easy? ;)

I don't think anyone has mentioned the new Passport card availble. It is for travel to Bermuda, Mexico, Canada and the Caribbean. It is only $45.00.

That is what I would be getting if we weren't planning to go to Europe in the next few years. My husband just got back from Brussels and is now busting to take me over there. I don't have a problem with that!

If you get the passport card you have a document that you cannot use to fly. How does that solve the problem of coming home in an emergency or missing the ship? On a closed loop cruise a passport card does nothing more than the BC/DL combination.

For cruising the passport card is wasted money. Either get a real passport or save the cash.

I agree that $500 may be a large one-time lay out for a family of 5 but as others have pointed out, that $500 is now good for 10 years, which is only $50 a year for that family of 5. I think that the fee for a passport should be included in one's travel budget and if they cannot afford the $100 then perhaps they should wait to travel until they can, or travel within the US (there are a lot of amazing things to see right here in this country) where the passport is not needed. If one can save enough to take a cruise, an extra $100 is a small price to pay (what is that, like 12 DOD's or so?) and they wouldn't have to pay that again for 10 years. Also, remember that renewals are $75. Seven-fifty per year is an even smaller price to pay, IMHO.

Assume a family of five with no plans to engage in other international travel takes a one time five day cruise...

I think that statistically speaking, at least the mom and dad of that group would become cruiseaholics after the first one, and like Lays potato chips, one would never be enough. I know there are exceptions out there and there are people who only cruise one time in their life and never again (God bless 'em), but I think those are far less in the minority of those who cruise once and cannot wait to get back on a ship. If that was the case, I think I would at least lay out the $200 for DH and I and let the kids travel with their BCs. Then, if we all loved it and could cruise again, begin the saving process for the kid's passports before the next cruise (kids under 16 have cheaper passports too). Just what I would do, since the OP asked if I were him/her.

I agree that $500 may be a large one-time lay out for a family of 5 but as others have pointed out, that $500 is now good for 10 years, which is only $50 a year for that family of 5. I think that the fee for a passport should be included in one's travel budget and if they cannot afford the $100 then perhaps they should wait to travel until they can, or travel within the US (there are a lot of amazing things to see right here in this country) where the passport is not needed. If one can save enough to take a cruise, an extra $100 is a small price to pay (what is that, like 12 DOD's or so?) and they wouldn't have to pay that again for 10 years. Also, remember that renewals are $75. Seven-fifty per year is an even smaller price to pay, IMHO.

It's an UNNECESSARY fee! Why budget for something that's not necessary?

That's like putting money aside in the event you're robbed along the way, even worse as you have no real control over being robbed.

All you're doing is volunteering to pay the government $100/pp for a ten dollar book... an unnecessary book, at that. Does ANYONE really think that machine reading a passport application and doing a search of several government databases warrants the remaining $90?

Again, for MANY of these travelers, they may only venture beyond the borders of the United States once or twice during that ten year period.

It just doesn't make a great deal of sense to me...

It's an UNNECESSARY fee! Why budget for something that's not necessary?

That's like putting money aside in the event you're robbed along the way, even worse as you have no real control over being robbed.

All you're doing is volunteering to pay the government $100/pp for a ten dollar book... an unnecessary book, at that. Does ANYONE really think that machine reading a passport application and doing a search of several government databases warrants the remaining $90?

Again, for MANY of these travelers, they may only venture beyond the borders of the United States once or twice during that ten year period.

It just doesn't make a great deal of sense to me...

Is it really an unnecessary fee if it clearly identifies you as a US citizen and ensures you receive the proper treatment of a US citizen under international treaty laws? You can view it as the document's raw materials don't justify the cost, or you can view it as a document with the weight of treaty and international laws firmly behind it, as well as the power of the US Department of State to intervene on your behalf. While it's certainly not a "get out of jail free" card, it does bear some weight when it comes to treatment in a foreign country.

We are on the same cruise (my husband and our 9 yr. old son)...we don't have passports yet either. We are having to apply for them because we are flying to Jamaica in June.....I wasn't even thinking about not having them back in time for our cruise - I will have to send my org. b/c etc. Guess I better get busy huh? I live in Georgia, but I was born in Texas - not easy/fast to get another cert. copy of my b/c.

Is it really an unnecessary fee if it clearly identifies you as a US citizen and ensures you receive the proper treatment of a US citizen under international treaty laws? You can view it as the document's raw materials don't justify the cost, or you can view it as a document with the weight of treaty and international laws firmly behind it, as well as the power of the US Department of State to intervene on your behalf. While it's certainly not a "get out of jail free" card, it does bear some weight when it comes to treatment in a foreign country.

You don't need to posses a document to ensure that you receive proper treatment as a US citizen. Regardless of your port of you posses your Sail and Sign card along with a proper picture ID. y

You have satisfied the requirements of every country you will visit on your cruise. Additionally, the pursers can verify any request for verification of citizenship. That's part of their job.

By the way, the cruise lines advise against carrying your passport on shore. There's a thriving black market in stolen US passports...

Archived