How bad are Majesty "obstructed view" cabins?

We are thinking of booking a quick 4-night Majesty cruise in May. The biggest outside cabins all seem to have obstructed views on Deck 9. When we sailed Majesty, it was before dry dock and we were in an inside. Has anyone been in an "obstructed view" cabin and what exactly does that mean? There's a difference of about 40 sq. ft b/w these and one on a lower deck with no obstructed view, so I'm curious.

Thanks!

We are thinking of booking a quick 4-night Majesty cruise in May. The biggest outside cabins all seem to have obstructed views on Deck 9. When we sailed Majesty, it was before dry dock and we were in an inside. Has anyone been in an "obstructed view" cabin and what exactly does that mean? There's a difference of about 40 sq. ft b/w these and one on a lower deck with no obstructed view, so I'm curious.

Thanks!

They are great cabins. You have very little obstruction from life boat stantions.

I would book them in a second.

The "obstruction" is from the lifeboats hanging below you so you can't look straight down. Even if the lifeboats weren't there, you would see deck 7 below you. The lifeboat hangers do hang from your level, so you see a little of that, usually off to one side or the other.

We had 9550 a couple years ago and thought it was a great cabin. Bigger than the regular oceanview so you have a loveseat and room to walk around the bed. The window has a wide low sill that I liked to sit on and watch out the window.

Deck 9 is a nice location -- you are one deck up from the theater balcony, two decks below the Windjammer. We couldn't see paying the extra $ for a JS balcony for such a short cruise.

PHXscuba

"You can't have everything -- besides, where would you put it all?":D

We've had an obstructed OV before, and the view was still clear...if you were right up against the window and looked down a bit, you could see the lifeboats, but otherwise it was still a good view of the ocean...and the price was much better! I'm sure all obstructions are different, but usually you still get a pretty good view for a lower price.

We booked the Majesty again today - it will be about our 10th time on it. We always take the Superior Oceanview cabins, because they are a fair amount larger than the regular outside cabin (although still pretty tiny). They are on deck 9 and the lifeboats hang in front of them. Some are more obstructed than others, but you can still get a view of the ocean. I keep meaning to figure out which are the least obstructed cabins, but keep forgetting to do so. IMHO, the extra square footage far ourweighs the obstruction, and the price differential is pretty small - I think it was $10 more per person than the smaller cabin with the better view.

Thanks!

Hi, We also booked one of the deck 9 Superior Ocean views for you upcoming cruise on Majesty in May. We didn't see paying extra for such a port intensive cruise and the price difference was quite frankly ridiculous. Anyways, go to youtube and search for "majesty of the seas cabin" There is a guy who has a nice room tour video of his deck 9 room. Its up today as it was just from 2008 which is after the huge overhaul. So what you see is what you will get. Nice looking room.

hope this helps

I hate to tell you, but I think each room is different. I was on a B2B which afforeded me the ability to check out the views from quite a few cabins while they were being cleaned before anyone else boarded (I was the only B2Ber that week so I was literally the only passenger onboard). Some rooms seemed to have worse obstructions than others. Mine was quite bad. I was in 9024. Here's the link to my review:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=937180&highlight=majesty+b2b+review

I can't remember how to just paste a picture into this thread, so check out the review and you'll see my Superior Ocean View Cabin, deck 9, along with the exact view out the window. It's pictures 4 & 5 in the review.

I hate to tell you, but I think each room is different. I was on a B2B which afforeded me the ability to check out the views from quite a few cabins while they were being cleaned before anyone else boarded (I was the only B2Ber that week so I was literally the only passenger onboard). Some rooms seemed to have worse obstructions than others. Mine was quite bad. I was in 9024. Here's the link to my review:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=937180&highlight=majesty+b2b+review

I can't remember how to just paste a picture into this thread, so check out the review and you'll see my Superior Ocean View Cabin, deck 9, along with the exact view out the window. It's pictures 4 & 5 in the review.

Good to know. Thanks! That is so helpful! Do the leg warmers come with the room or are those extra? :D They're awesome.

We haven't booked the cruise yet, but since it's such a short cruise, that probably wouldn't be too bad. I think the space is more of the issue, and as long as we have some light, we should be good. Thanks for the input everyone!!! I really appreciate it.

Good to know. Thanks! That is so helpful! Do the leg warmers come with the room or are those extra? :D They're awesome.

We haven't booked the cruise yet, but since it's such a short cruise, that probably wouldn't be too bad. I think the space is more of the issue, and as long as we have some light, we should be good. Thanks for the input everyone!!! I really appreciate it.

HEY!!! I was given that costume by the cruise staff for their 80s Night party! Hah!

Anyhoo, I do find an ocean view cabin to be a bit of a waste. On the first part of the cruise I was with 4 friends and I had my own cabin. Category K, inside. I don't really see much point in an ocean view cabin. My sister and I (for my 2nd cruise) NEVER stood in the room and looked out the window (at the freakin' lifeboat). All that window did was let light in in the morning (grrr). But I moved to that cabin because it was quite a bit bigger than a Cat K Interior!

Have fun. :)

HEY!!! I was given that costume by the cruise staff for their 80s Night party! Hah!

Anyhoo, I do find an ocean view cabin to be a bit of a waste. On the first part of the cruise I was with 4 friends and I had my own cabin. Category K, inside. I don't really see much point in an ocean view cabin. My sister and I (for my 2nd cruise) NEVER stood in the room and looked out the window (at the freakin' lifeboat). All that window did was let light in in the morning (grrr). But I moved to that cabin because it was quite a bit bigger than a Cat K Interior!

Have fun. :)

Seriously, the leg warmers are great!

We probably tend to stay in the cabin more than others (we're nappers!), and I really just need to know if it's day or night! I went crazy in the inside cabin--I am claustrophobic, so I just need to see outside to know that there is something out there. I'm the same way on a plane. So if I can see a lifeboat, I'm in good shape!

Well the Cruise Staff did ask me if I wanted the day-glo leg warmers and I was like, 'Hell yeah!!!'

Hopefully you won't have a cabin with such a horrible obstruction as ours. I definitely did think that other cabins on the floor weren't so obstructed. But if you're really taking that cabin for claustrophobia reasons, you'll be fine. With the curtain open and you laying in bed, you'll see nothing but (hopefully) blue sky.

Me, I'd rather sleep in a sound-proof, pitch-black coffin. :)

Have a great one!

Wife & I have been in cabins on both decks 8 & 9 and have no problems with the obstructions on either deck! On the short port intensive cruises you're not going to see that much anyway, and the obstruction really (imo) doesn't interfere with the natural light.

Last Dec. on the Monarch, we had a deck 8 cabin, and immediately upon docking in Nassau, got a front row view of the crew drills where they preped, manned, and lowered the lifeboats. Fun to watch!

PRC

We didn't mind the obstructed view. Didn't think it was too bad from this cabin (9552). Never have been in one of their smaller cabins but didn't think this cabin was bad. Liked having the small sofa (more of a loveseat size than a sofa). Also you have some extra narrow storage cabinets which was nice.

IMG_4919.JPG View looking down at lifeboat.

IMG_5032.JPG View looking up above the lifeboat.

IMG_5051.JPG Sunrise view of Nassau from our cabin window. This was a spectacular view to wake up to (we keep the curtains open at night).

IMG_5060.JPG View as we docked at Nassau.

IMG_4901.JPG

IMG_4916.JPG

At various times we have sailed on Majesty of the Seas in oceanview rooms on deck five, six, seven, eight and nine. The biggest room was deck nine. Our window was quite obstructed. I had to lean down to see out, but at least we had natural daylight.

The rooms on decks five, six and seven have ocean view rooms which are smaller than deck nine rooms, but they are OK for just three or four nights. The one deck I do not like at all is deck seven because the ocean view rooms have windows that open up onto an outside prominade. You have to keep your curtains closed most of the time if you want any privacy. You might as well book a much cheaper inside cabin if you can't see outside.

Once in a rare while there is a fair deal on a suite. But I think they are really high priced most of the time compared to deck nine cabins if you can tolerate an obstructed view. Of course I would appreciate a suite's balcony, but can live without it for four nights or three nights.

I hope you like Majesty as much as we do. We love the four-night cruise because it includes Key West, one of our favorite ports.

At various times we have sailed on Majesty of the Seas in oceanview rooms on deck five, six, seven, eight and nine. The biggest room was deck nine. Our window was quite obstructed. I had to lean down to see out, but at least we had natural daylight.

The rooms on decks five, six and seven have ocean view rooms which are smaller than deck nine rooms, but they are OK for just three or four nights. The one deck I do not like at all is deck seven because the ocean view rooms have windows that open up onto an outside prominade. You have to keep your curtains closed most of the time if you want any privacy. You might as well book a much cheaper inside cabin if you can't see outside.

Once in a rare while there is a fair deal on a suite. But I think they are really high priced most of the time compared to deck nine cabins if you can tolerate an obstructed view. Of course I would appreciate a suite's balcony, but can live without it for four nights or three nights.

I hope you like Majesty as much as we do. We love the four-night cruise because it includes Key West, one of our favorite ports.

Thanks everyone! This is so helpful. We love Key West too, which is why this cruise appeals so much. The price of the suite seems too high for 4 nights, and while we like our space, we survived smaller cabins before, and we can do so again--and definitely can with an obstructed view. Thanks so much!

• 1 year later...

I was just on the Majesty 12-3-2010/12-6-2010 and had a Deck 5 oceanview, nice room but small. I was by myself so it was plenty of room for one person. Back on topic I thought that it looked like Deck 8 rooms would have the most obstructed views (looking at the bottom of the lifeboats). Deck 7 rooms have the privacy issue with being right on the outside promenade. Deck 9 rooms you can see the lifeboats but you are looking out over the tops of them still giving you a good outside view.:D

If price is close, I would always take deck nine. Otherwise take a obstucted view of the water. You will have lots of viewing. Usally the best value! If you have one one of these rooms, there is a break in the lifeboats and no obstucted view. 8008, 8030, 8032, 8034, 8036,8038,8050, 8060, 8072, 8084, 8096 also same on the other side just 8508 and so on.

• 3 years later...
img0066er.jpg

Just back from Majesty of the Seas. This is the view from Cabin 9572.

Thank you so much for posting what 9572 looked like I was wanting to upgrade with a view and while on the phone with the agent was able to at least see that you can indeed see the ocean I was really worried about this since this is my very first cruise. :)