Redeeming RCI credit card points ....

I finally have enough points for the free caribbean cruise (125,000) and I have a question. Do I redeem the points for the certicate first, or can I book the cruise before I get the certificate. We know what cruise we want to book,and would like to book it ASAP, but must I wait until I receive the certificate? And, how long does it take once I call the 800#, until I actually receive the certificate? Thanks for your help!

Congratulations! I can't seem to leave ours alone long enough to get to 125,000.

Book your cruise first, choose your cabin and decide if you want to upgrade to a balcony or a higher level cabin. Then a couple of months before departure, or just after booking, contact BoA's rewards redemption dept and tell them what you want to do. They will send you a voucher for the 125,000 you complete and forward to Royal Caribbean, don't forget to keep a copy for yourself.

It is that easy. If the cost of your cruise is less than the value of the certificate they will bill you $1 per person so you can get credit for the cruise.

Have a wonderful trip.

We are thinking of booking a higher level cabin than the points allow, and just paying for the difference. We use a TA, so do I just call her, book as I usually do? And then when certicates arrive, do I call RCI, or must my TA call?

And one other thing, we have future cruise credit for OBC that we purchased on our last cruise. Can we use this as well? I know RCI sometime doesn't allow combining offers.

We are thinking of booking a higher level cabin than the points allow, and just paying for the difference. We use a TA, so do I just call her, book as I usually do? And then when certicates arrive, do I call RCI, or must my TA call?

And one other thing, we have future cruise credit for OBC that we purchased on our last cruise. Can we use this as well? I know RCI sometime doesn't allow combining offers.

Yes, call your TA and book as you usually do. Do it right away - you don't need to wait for certificates.

You call RC and mail in your certificate.

I believe the Visa rewards can be combined with other OBC.

So if I'm reading this correctly, you can't upgrade from the category assigned in the rewards? And the reward for 125,000 is an ocean view state room. Is that correct? It also indicates the maximum value is $2,500, but if an ocean view state room is less then that for 3 (5 - 7day caribbean) do you only get the value of the ocean view state room? :confused:

yes, you only get the value of the minimum oceanview that is available on the sailing that you are booking, not to exceed the $2,500. so if the minimum available oceanview is $899 a person, your certificate will be worth $1,798. you have to pay taxes and port fees.

So if I'm reading this correctly, you can't upgrade from the category assigned in the rewards? And the reward for 125,000 is an ocean view state room. Is that correct? It also indicates the maximum value is $2,500, but if an ocean view state room is less then that for 3 (5 - 7day caribbean) do you only get the value of the ocean view state room? :confused:

We have used the free companion and always book higher than the stated cabin. We pay the extra between the minimum cabin and the cabin we choose.

any insight into this "fine print?"

8. From time to time, special offers may provide additional opportunities to earn Royal Points. Details will be provided when each such offer is made.

I've never heard of any "special offers"

I would book first and then request your certificate closer to the final payment date. That way if something happens and you aren't able to go on the cruise you won't lose all of your points.

I just requested two certificated and it took about 10 mail days to get to me (not counting Sundays).

We have used the free companion and always book higher than the stated cabin. We pay the extra between the minimum cabin and the cabin we choose.

It doesn't seem like you would get as much benefit from a free companion versus the credit for 2 people at the lower cabin. For the southern cruise we're looking at, an ocean view is around $800, or $1,600 credit for a 3 to 5 day Caribbean cruise. A companion for a balcony would be around $999. So if I'm making the right assumptions, if I chose the free companion I would lose $600 worth of credit.

I don't know how anyone would ever get the $2,500 maximum for a 3 to 5 day Caribbean cruise with an ocean view room. :confused:

They make this tooooooo confusing. :)

Haven't I heard that the points are now 150,000 for the "free" ;) cruise ?

We cruised 2 years ago for "free";). Still...that was nice.

There isn't a category listed on the web site for 150,000 poits, it goes from 125,000 to 250,000.

Where have you seen anything about 150,000 points :confused:

At one time they changed the free cruise for 2 to 150,000 points. They got so many complaints that they almost immediately moved it back to 125,000. Who knows, they may move it back up again, but I hope not.

Archived