Car rental Quebec to Boston?

We will cruise Boston to Quebec in October and want to do a one-way car rental to drive back to Boston at end of cruise. Does anyone have advice/suggestions? I have always used Priceline for car rentals in other circumstances.

We will cruise Boston to Quebec in October and want to do a one-way car rental to drive back to Boston at end of cruise. Does anyone have advice/suggestions? I have always used Priceline for car rentals in other circumstances.

You are going to have a problem. It is against the law for an American to drive a rental car with a Canadian licence plate over the US border (and Canadians aren't allowed to drive a car with an American plate into Canada.) So basically Americans can rent a car and drive it from the US to Canada (as long as the US company allows it) and vice versa... it's just the reverse that is not allowed.... Canadians in an American car and Americans in a Canadian car.

It is highly unlikely that you will find a car in Quebec city with US plates for a one-way rental. Also, it will need to have Canadian non-resident insurance card.

Thanks Ephraim. That is very helpful information that is not provided on the car rental websites. They provide rates with no indication that it can't be done. I have read that there is no train service from Quebec to Boston. We really want to see the country in between instead of just flying back to Boston or to Austin. Do you have any suggestions?

It is against the law for an American to drive a rental car with a Canadian licence plate over the US border (and Canadians aren't allowed to drive a car with an American plate into Canada.)

Are you sure about that? The info I'm reading online says that it's illegal for a Canadian to drive a US rental into Canada (http://www.alamo.ca/itemDetails.do?HelpItemID=ONE), but an American can drive a Canadian rental to the US - http://ezinearticles.com/?Driving-Rental-Cars-From-Canada-to-the-US&id=2161540.

We are cruising to Quebec City from Boston on Oct 9. We also had the dilemma of how to get back to Boston. We decided to take a train from Quebec City to Montreal and stay a couple of nights in Montreal. The morning we disembark, we will check our bags at the Quebec City train station, spend a few hours sightseeing in Quebec City, then catch the train to Montreal in the afternoon. After spending two nights in Montreal we will take the Greyhound Bus back to Boston.

Tina

Okay, I'm wrong. The restriction is strictly on Canadians driving a car with US licence plates into Canada. Canada customs will immediately seize that car.

From Alamo's website:

The Canadian Import Law prohibits Canadian Citizens from taking a U.S. owned rental vehicle from the U.S. into Canada. The rental vehicle will be seized by Canadian Customs at the border, whether the Canadian renter plans to return the vehicle to a U.S. or Canadian location. The U.S. owned rental vehicle cannot be imported into Canada, even to temporarily cross the border. However, a Canadian may rent a Canadian owned vehicle in the U.S. and return it to Canada or cross the border without the vehicle being seized. Any U.S. Citizen renting a vehicle in the U.S. may drive across the U.S./Canadian border with no restrictions. The driver may be asked by Customs to show a rental agreement and a form of identification, such as a driver's license.

The best people to answer the question are US CBP and the rental agency.

For US CBP, since you will be going through Standstead / Derby Line then contact http://cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/contacts/ports/vt/0209.xml

And I see that Alamo/National and Hertz do quote rates, so check with them. Check if they have a drop charge. They may have special arrangements.

Also, most people don't realize that if you have car rental insurance on your regular car policy, you can ask them to issue an Inter-Canada insurance card. Some agencies will insist that you pay the CDW unless you can show your Inter-Canada insurance certificate.

Thanks for the great info and the links Twickenham and Ephraim.

Tinaclose, we are also leaving Oct. 9 - on NCL Spirit. I am looking forward to seeing some real fall colors since we really don't get them in Austin Texas.

Appletex - nice to meet you here and on the roll call board. You will love New England and Canada in the fall! The weather should not be cold, but it will probably be brisk - Texans should find it very refreshing. Your drive back to Boston through the mountains will be spectacular. We love to hike and enjoy nature, and since we missed our winter vacation this year, we thought this would be fun. This will be the first vacation in 4 years that hubby and I will be traveling together without family or friends. Nice change. Looking forward to meeting new people.

and back again. No rental problems however when I tried to arrange a drop off in Montreal the rental rate jumped from $250 to $850. Drop off charges can be a killer.

Steve, $850!!! I was going to check into a one-way rental for one day from Burlington, VT to Montreal. Who did you check with so I don't waste my time.

I just checked Alamo... one day in May was $176.47 USD from BTV to YUL, airport to airport. And Hertz was 184.60 USD, but I had to specify that country of residence was US.

I also checked one day rental from YQB to BOS in May and got CAD182.09 for Alamo and CAD375.16 for Hertz. That's just a random day in May and I don't know if there was an extra drop charge, but I didn't see one. Best to confirm the rate by phone, though.

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I would suggest you go for Hertz.

I think Quebec is a good spot. I suggest you should stay there for few days so that you will enjoy the place. :D

We are cruising to Quebec City from Boston on Oct 9. We also had the dilemma of how to get back to Boston. We decided to take a train from Quebec City to Montreal and stay a couple of nights in Montreal. The morning we disembark, we will check our bags at the Quebec City train station, spend a few hours sightseeing in Quebec City, then catch the train to Montreal in the afternoon. After spending two nights in Montreal we will take the Greyhound Bus back to Boston.

Tina

How long is the Greyhound bus to Boston? Is it direct, or do you have to switch buses?

Oops, I just realized this thread/post was from 2009.

Archived