Zaandam to Alaska

Lucky Granny

Has anybody taken this cruise? Is anybody going to? This board is so disorganized - questioned are asked at random - as though any answer about HAL applies to all ships and all itineraries. :cool:

I would like to know more about the dress code on this speific ship and destinations. Is there a dress-up night - or more than one? I hope not. What is this black and white stuff? :eek:

I would also like to hear some excursion recommendations - or problems if that is the case. :confused:

Love to hear from anybody who has been or is going. I have been to Alaska but not on a crusie. :)

There will be at least 1, maybe 2, formal nights in the dining room on your cruise if it's a 7 day cruise. If you don't care to "dress up" for formal night, there are other dining venues on board or you could do room service that evening.

Has anybody taken this cruise? Is anybody going to? This board is so disorganized - questioned are asked at random - as though any answer about HAL applies to all ships and all itineraries. :cool:

I would like to know more about the dress code on this speific ship and destinations. Is there a dress-up night - or more than one? I hope not. What is this black and white stuff? :eek:

I would also like to hear some excursion recommendations - or problems if that is the case. :confused:

Love to hear from anybody who has been or is going. I have been to Alaska but not on a crusie. :)

I did the zaandam in alaska in july 2006 for 7 days and we had 2 formal nights and no black or white ball. have fun :)

I am going on this ship June 5th. I picked it based on rates, itneraries, amenities. I am looking forward to it. My big excurision is with Capt Davey on the Esther G Sea taxi, have seen nothing but great things about it. I am not much help but wanted to chime in:)

Aimee

We were on the Zaamdam in Alaska in September 2008. There were two formal nights. I do not remember anything about a black and white ball.

We enjoyed the National Parks rangers who were on board during our entire time in Glacier Bay. We explored the ports pretty much on our own. In Juneau we did go up the Mt. Roberts Tramway - but purchased our tickets there when we thought the weather would cooperate. There are a number of small museums in all the ports that give you a really good sense of the areas. We took the HAL excursion out to Totem Bight when in Ketchikan and enjoyed it.

I suggest that you check out the Alaska board in the Ports of Call section of CC. There is an amazing amount of info there that I found very helpful when planning our port time.

We're going on the Zaandam on the July 24 cruise. Our second one to Alaska, the first was five years ago (on the Statendaam). Things have changed some in five years, but this thread should give you more current information.

You should look at the roll calls.

Thank you all for your help. I did finally find the correct Roll Call but am looking for a thread with posters who have already been on my cruise - not those who are going to go. I will try the destinations but will not likely find information about HAL and the excursions offered by HAL.

Aimee, where did you hear about that excursion?

Lucky Granny

The Alaska board has information about nearly every thing you could possibly want to see or do. I found that reading about the various possibilities allowed me to go to the HAL excursions offerings and make my choices knowing what I wanted to see and do in each port. It also alerted to me to what I could do on my own and walking in the ports as many of the tourist things are really near the docks, such as the Mt. Roberts Tramway in Juneau.

Thank you all for your help. I did finally find the correct Roll Call but am looking for a thread with posters who have already been on my cruise - not those who are going to go. I will try the destinations but will not likely find information about HAL and the excursions offered by HAL.

The Alaska board is one of the most active and helpful. Many cruisers return to AK year after year and are a wealth of information. The "search" function on these forums can also be very helpful finding the specific info you are looking for. And the "Member Reviews" section will have information and reviews specific to your ship.

Did you look at the Alaska portion of the Ports of Call section here on CC?

Also, did you look on the HAL website to find information about the excursions being offered for your cruise?

If you are interested in excursions at different ports I would suggest you try the CC sister site Trip Advisor at www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g28923-i349-Alaska.html . The link is to the "Alaska" board but you can go to individual port boards from there. You will find tons of information and suggestions about excursions.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Archived