Slippery Decks

flbeachmom

We were just on the Crown and i forgot to post in my review about the slippery decks on 15. I know there are signs all around the deck floor however 2 of us in my family fell flat. i am 39 years old exercise regularly and in good shape. Several times just walking i slipped and caught myself, even though i was walking careful. Then one time i fell straight down I was ok just my face turned red. My 13 year old was also on deck 15 another day and she fell flat while holding her drink. She was pretty bruised up with a sore shoulder but heals quickly. Did not report incident as we were ok by the end of the cruise. I am only concerned about this because i see quite a few older people on board who if fell it would not have a good ending. Maybe next time ship goes in dry dock new flooring can be installed that has more traction.

Thanks for that. My sister who I travel with has a great tendancy to fall. When I read your post she said she would bring a better pair of deck shoes than she had planned!

We were just on the Crown and i forgot to post in my review about the slippery decks on 15. I know there are signs all around the deck floor however 2 of us in my family fell flat. i am 39 years old exercise regularly and in good shape. Several times just walking i slipped and caught myself, even though i was walking careful. Then one time i fell straight down I was ok just my face turned red. My 13 year old was also on deck 15 another day and she fell flat while holding her drink. She was pretty bruised up with a sore shoulder but heals quickly. Did not report incident as we were ok by the end of the cruise. I am only concerned about this because i see quite a few older people on board who if fell it would not have a good ending. Maybe next time ship goes in dry dock new flooring can be installed that has more traction.

I had the same thing happen to me on the Carnival Glory this past February. I have a "wonky" hip so I always take it very slow and hold the handrails while going down the steps. Just as I stepped off the last step onto the deck, I slipped and my leg went under me and I came full force down on my knee and knee cap.......I was still holding the rail so it wrenched my shoulder too. :eek:

I guess my point is you have to be very careful, but even sometimes then slips and falls can happen. I didn't feel Carnival was negligent because they were constantly out there cleaning and mopping. I just consider it one of those things.

Yup. The decks do get slippery, particularly if you're wearing shoes with leather soles or high heels. Whether it's a cruise ship or a sail/power boat, it's a good idea to walk carefully and have good shoes on.

Yup. The decks do get slippery, particularly if you're wearing shoes with leather soles or high heels. Whether it's a cruise ship or a sail/power boat, it's a good idea to walk carefully and have good shoes on.

Pam-

Were you in the Fort Lauderdale airport on Saturday 4/4? I saw a woman waiting for a flight that looked exactly like you waiting for a flight. Just curious.

Now if they were to just keep the ship from moving at all, everyone would be a lot safer on the decks.

Nah, they just need to install velcro on all the decks. That way no one will fall over. Of course no one will move either.

Had a similar experience on the Grand when the person I was cruising with fell straight back and had a headache for days. Really no ones fault, we are at sea around a pool, its bound to be wet. Was a terrible experience, but everything turned out ok. It is true, watch your step!

Had a similar experience on the Grand when the person I was cruising with fell straight back and had a headache for days. Really no ones fault, we are at sea around a pool, its bound to be wet. Was a terrible experience, but everything turned out ok. It is true, watch your step!

Same thing happened on the Grand when we were on in February. The outside pool deck was extremely slippery and we saw 2 older people fall within 30 minutes of each other. The blue painted deck around the pool was extremely slippery that day but by the next day the problem had been corrected. I was extremely careful by that pool for the rest of the cruise. Next time I will bring water shoes from my water aerobics class to wear by and in the pool

My wife is VERY conscious of that and she nearly always slips. I try to walk across the ship on the higher decks that have carpet, but that's not always possible.

She actually did fall on the Promenade deck last July during the Susan G. Komen Walk for the Cure 5K. There was a puddle and I asked a cruise staffer to look into having it mopped. My wife slipped a little later and stopped walking. I continued and the puddle was still there 1 hour later. I asked another person to mop it and don't know if it was ever done.

The deck is very slippery but try to wear shoes or sneakers with a good sole and it helps somewhat. I brought those deck type shoes a few years ago thinking they would be more comfortable than sneakers, but the soles are very flat so it was more hazardous than sneakers.

Archived