Alaska in September?

pokeypoke

Hi,

We are thinking of booking the September 12, 2010 7-day Alaskan cruise aboard NCL's Pearl, which departs Seattle and goes to Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, Victoria and embarks in Vancouver. Can someone tell me what to expect weather wise (highs, lows and rain) AND how much day light is there during this time of year?

Thanks,

Pokey

did that date (on the NCL star) in '06. sunset will be around 7pm..sun rise around 6am. weather: we had day temps in the mid 40s to high 60s...sleet in juneau (while watching watching). for us, it rained and sleets in juneau, higher temps and sun in skagway, beautiful day for glacier bay (the star did that route back then) and heavy rain for ketchikan.

We love Alaska in early September...............go for it. Besides, you can do lots of shopping...............the shops will be getting ready to close for the season. One year things were 90% off in Juneau and 75 to 90 % off in Skagway..............of course, the scenery is why you're going!!;)

This isn't "early Sept" which is my cut off for superior sailings. Overall you are going in the worse weather potential of the season. Being well prepared will make all the difference. Average 3 days of rain, temps 40-60, dusk by 7pm. Usually Juneau is an afternoon port arrival- will have limited touring options, so keep that in mind when making your port plans.

Years ago, these use to be give away trips, I always picked them up as my 2nd sometimes 3rd sailing of the season. The earlier one were always better. They aren't discounted enough for me to consider them any longer. Just be well prepared.

This isn't "early Sept" which is my cut off for superior sailings. Overall you are going in the worse weather potential of the season. Being well prepared will make all the difference. Average 3 days of rain, temps 40-60, dusk by 7pm. Usually Juneau is an afternoon port arrival- will have limited touring options, so keep that in mind when making your port plans.

Years ago, these use to be give away trips, I always picked them up as my 2nd sometimes 3rd sailing of the season. The earlier one were always better. They aren't discounted enough for me to consider them any longer. Just be well prepared.

BQ- As always, thanks for your knowledgable input. We are sailing Northbound Aug 28th-Sept 9th. This is early Sept. Will two weeks likely be that much different?

We are sailing Northbound Aug 28th-Sept 9th. This is early Sept. Will two weeks likely be that much different?

That 2 weeks makes a HUGE difference. I'm one of the folks who wouldn't cruise in late September if it was free.

We are also sailing August 28 to Sept. 4 (Vancouver to Seward) so glad to hear that we should be ok. Hopefully, we will get some fall colors as we are going north to Healy after the cruise.

Just will have to decide by final payment in mid June if we want to take HAL's Ryndam or RCCL's Radiance of the Seas. Both have their pros and cons for our trip.

Just will have to decide by final payment in mid June if we want to take HAL's Ryndam or RCCL's Radiance of the Seas. Both have their pros and cons for our trip.

Many folks seem to stress about "which ship" - my favourite (so far) is the Radiance, my wife's is the Amsterdam. They're all wonderful, though :)

Possibly picking the Ryndam because it goes to Sitka, but my dad's handicapped room is on the port side which isn't great for going northbound. The starboard side h/c room isn't available.

But, on the Radiance we have reserved a starboard side h/c balcony for my dad, but it doesn't go to Sitka. We might give up Sitka and go there another time so my dad can have the balcony to see well out of. Usually the h/c rooms are much larger also so he should be able to see well out of a h/c room that has a balcony.

But, if he ends up cancelling out, my husband and I will probably stick with the Ryndam cause my husband want to go to Sitka again.

BQ- As always, thanks for your knowledgable input. We are sailing Northbound Aug 28th-Sept 9th. This is early Sept. Will two weeks likely be that much different?

This is my only recommendation for combo trips, always a northbound in this timeframe. The Inside Passage, drops off significantly in "weather" compared to interior Alaska which seems to be far milder and not getting the significant rain.

Yukon, thank you.

Poolwife;

We are on the Radiance for this sailing. We have a cruise tour booked that continues on to Denali and Fairbanks. If you choose RC we shall see you on board. Happy sailing!

Hopefully you have 2 days at Denali park??? As only a suggestion, this can be an extremely scenic timeframe there, and going to Wonder Lake can be loaded with color, and no bugs. At the very least you need the Tundra Wilderness tour.

• 4 weeks later...
Hopefully you have 2 days at Denali park??? As only a suggestion, this can be an extremely scenic timeframe there, and going to Wonder Lake can be loaded with color, and no bugs. At the very least you need the Tundra Wilderness tour.

Yes 2 days, taking the bus to Eilson and will likely extend it to Wonder lake if the skys are clear. (A tip from the Budget Queen)

That 2 weeks makes a HUGE difference. I'm one of the folks who wouldn't cruise in late September if it was free.

How different is the weather and sunset is this two week time frame? I'm cruising 30 Aug-6 Sept.

So, we have a 14 day booked on September 11 on the Radiance, that goes down the coast to San Diego. Is it really that bad that we should consider cancelling? This time frame is over our 20th anniversary, so it seemed perfect and we loved the idea of seeing San Francisco, as well. Now, you are all scaring me

So, we have a 14 day booked on September 11 on the Radiance, that goes down the coast to San Diego. Is it really that bad that we should consider cancelling? This time frame is over our 20th anniversary, so it seemed perfect and we loved the idea of seeing San Francisco, as well. Now, you are all scaring me

Preparation will make all the difference, have the proper attire, good rain gear. And port activites planned. Dusk will be around 7pm. Be well prepared for rough sailing the Pacific. With your itinerary, you probably have a week of non Alaska anyway, with Alaska first?? Hope for the best.

I'm, sure this cruise was cheap being a reposistion. :) Make some great touring plans and enjoy it. :)

Yes, Alaska is first! Thanks for the encouragement. Unfortunately, many of our touring plans are budget - including city walking tours, hiking, and the national parks - which I imagine will all be impacted more by the weather. We do have a whale watching tour in Icy Straight Point and a car rented in Juneau. Any other suggestions that might be more "September Friendly"?

Possibly picking the Ryndam because it goes to Sitka, but my dad's handicapped room is on the port side which isn't great for going northbound. The starboard side h/c room isn't available.

But, on the Radiance we have reserved a starboard side h/c balcony for my dad, but it doesn't go to Sitka. We might give up Sitka and go there another time so my dad can have the balcony to see well out of. Usually the h/c rooms are much larger also so he should be able to see well out of a h/c room that has a balcony.

But, if he ends up cancelling out, my husband and I will probably stick with the Ryndam cause my husband want to go to Sitka again.

We were on the northbound Veendam last year, which had the same itinerary as the Ryndam in 2009. I would pick the Ryndam - simply because HAL isn't doing that itinerary in 2010. I loved Sitka and Haines, and it's too bad none of HAL's one-way ships will go to Sitka in 2010.

I think Royal Caribbean has prettier ships than HAL, but HAL's cabins are bigger. Their smaller ships also have great outdoor viewing areas. I don't think having a port cabin is a negative, because there is land on both sides of the ship for some of the sailing.

Archived