Vancouver Flight question

lsane2

I asked this on the West Coast Departures board, but I thought I'd ask it again here and possibly get more responses.

We'll be on the Sapphire Princess in August and the latest flight we could take leaves at 12:05 pm. Would we have time to make the flight or should we stay overnight in Vancouver?

Thanks!

Unless I really have to be home in a hurry, my choice is almost always to stay another day - Vancouver is a great city to explore and your final day becomes a relaxing one instead of a rather harried one. You do have time to make a noon flight, though.

Our cruise line-- RSSC-- has been booking people out of Vancouver from 11:00 on and as far as I know have not had problems. I must say, though, that it makes us a little apprehensive. (Our flight is 11:30.)

I disagree that this is a GIVEN you will make it. I would suggest if you do book this timeframe, you MAKE SURE you can get and purchase the transfer for US Direct. Read back on this board, there are many recent posts about this.

I have personally been in 2 1/2 hours worth of lines at this airport. Add to that a 30 minute cab ride, delays in disembarking etc etc etc.

I have personally been in 2 1/2 hours worth of lines at this airport. Add to that a 30 minute cab ride, delays in disembarking etc etc etc.

Wow! Vancouver must be one of the worst airports in North America. I've never seen it take 2 1/2 hours to get through the lines at JFK and I thought that it was the worst! (Spent 13 years in upstate NY and NYC, so I flew out of JFK way too much. :-(

Corie

Wow! Vancouver must be one of the worst airports in North America. I've never seen it take 2 1/2 hours to get through the lines at JFK and I thought that it was the worst! (Spent 13 years in upstate NY and NYC, so I flew out of JFK way too much. :-(

Corie

Well remember that before you can board your flight back to the US, you must go through US immigration. That right there adds extra time at YVR.

Corie

au contraire! Quite the opposite. ;)

Its rated quite high among North American, and in fact, the worlds airports:

• #1 Midsize Airport in North America this year, by the IATA
  • #1 Airport in the World by Airline Pilots Ass'n for 2008
  • Top airport in NA, and #8 in the world in a survey by SKYTRAX (UK based)
  • Second favorite Airport in the world by Conde Naste 2008 Reader Awards.

I think Wrona's comment about the delays due to clearing Customs & Immigration is quite correct.

In 2007 4 additional International Gates were added.

In 2008 another phase was finished.

And Airport improvements will continue as Vancouver rushes to the 2010 Winter Olympics.

And don't forget the hike to get from the Ship terminal to the airport (which is in Richmond).

We were wondering the same thing, but have decided to rent a car instead at the port and then have a day to tour Vancouver. We'll spend the night somewhere near the airport and leave in the morning. The car rental only costs around $35.

Last year we used US Direct and were at the airport and through immigration and security by 10:30. I don't think that I would try to make an early flight without using US Direct though. (Each cruise line has it's own name for the program. HAL's was Signature Baggage Express or something like that. Princess has another name. Also, I have heard that the program might be eliminated because many airlines now charge for luggage.)

Corie

Neither have I...The most I ever spent in line at Vancouver is an hour...Its a very nice airport...Last time we had a 3 pm flight out..we got to the airport early and switched our flight to a noon one..

Archived