Library on Grand

nicaphile

Anyone know what it's like? Do they have a good selection of fiction? I sure hope so or my DH will be bringing a suitcase of books for a 21 day TA

The fiction quantity is decent, but I'm not sure how current it is compared to your DH's reading. You could always go on Amazon.com and get the new Kindle and download thousands of books in the space of a large paper back and the thickness of less than an inch. No space or weight considerations.

I was on the Grand in March. Went to the library on day 1; found several fiction books I wanted to read. Two were older, two were fairly recent releases. There was a limit of 2 books per person, though. So I checked out 2, and when I finished them, went back for the others. I thought the selection was fine--lots of mysteries, adventure, sci-fi, "serious literature" fiction, and "chick-lit" too.

I've posted this several times, but I got a Kindle recently and I am just about to finish my first book. I LOVE it. I downloaded 2 new books while in the waiting room at the doctor's office the other day so when I finish the one I'm reading now, I'm ready to go. It's all about weight restrictions.

I think I read every book in the Grand library when I worked on her 4 years ago for 4 months. The turnover is pretty good, though, because some of the books walk, notwithstanding stern warnings of electronic protection schemes.

By far the best library was on the QE2 when I was on her last world cruise. They even had certified librarians instead of crew staff and Russian dancers working for pin money.

You really should have a look at the Kindle, though. After owning mine for 10 months a one-inch black square developed on the screen and Amazon sent me a new one--overnight, no less. It'll cut down on your luggage's weight!

RF

I've posted this several times, but I got a Kindle recently and I am just about to finish my first book. I LOVE it. I downloaded 2 new books while in the waiting room at the doctor's office the other day so when I finish the one I'm reading now, I'm ready to go. It's all about weight restrictions.

Good to hear you are enjoying the Kindle. Do you have the new Kindle II or the first version? Any problems with it so far?

I think I read every book in the Grand library when I worked on her 4 years ago for 4 months. The turnover is pretty good, though, because some of the books walk, notwithstanding stern warnings of electronic protection schemes.

By far the best library was on the QE2 when I was on her last world cruise. They even had certified librarians instead of crew staff and Russian dancers working for pin money.

You really should have a look at the Kindle, though. After owning mine for 10 months a one-inch black square developed on the screen and Amazon sent me a new one--overnight, no less. It'll cut down on your luggage's weight!

RF

How does the Kindle do in the sunlight? This is one area we like to read on the ship and that's on one of the open decks and we are concerned about glare and contrast problems.

Good to hear you are enjoying the Kindle. Do you have the new Kindle II or the first version? Any problems with it so far?

I have the first version and have had no problems. Don't know about reading in the sunlight because I usually read in bed. I love the convenience of being able to download a read when necessary, I also like the way you can change the size of the font for those of us who may need a little larger print.

We were on the Grand last May, we loved the ship but the library was pretty thin. We did not get there until late on the first day, I checked back a few times. Not a good selection. Hopefully since then they have bought more books. I'm sure books walk off the ship from time to time, by accident or by intent.

Archived