Who else just got off the Emerald 3/31 and was disappointed?

Hello-Kitty

I really hate hate saying this but i was a bit unhappy with this sailing.

I heard so much complaining from other cruisers that is was just pissing me off. I feel like i have to defend princess so i do but some complaints are right on!

Grrrrr i am taking a break from princess until they fix their issues

Anyone else notice that although their entertainment is good there was limited shows

less staff, i had to beg for a drink and when i wanted a water i got a not so nice face.

gym was nasty and did not have anyone supervising the nasty people who dont wipe down

lounge chair hogs in full force, and when attendent did remove towels cruisers yelled at him and he backed down

dining staff in anytime dining was not so friendly at all, guess i have to go back to traditional

list goes on and i hate to complain but after 13 princess cruises i definatly see slack.

i never ever complain and i probably wont this is my place to vent but when i tell you all the complaints from fellow cruisers i was just getting sick of hearing it. i tild one woman to go back to RCCL if she hated princess so much, omg she wouldnt shut up

okay i feel better thanks for the vent:rolleyes:

Thank you.

Have not sailed on the Emerald but quite a few of your comments apply to other Princess Cruises. In trying not to offend the rule breakers, Princess is offending those who are loyal to Princess. We just shrug off some of these shortcomings so that we continue to enjoy our cruise. But I am glad you listed the issues.

I really hate hate saying this but i was a bit unhappy with this sailing.

I heard so much complaining from other cruisers that is was just pissing me off. I feel like i have to defend princess so i do but some complaints are right on!

Grrrrr i am taking a break from princess until they fix their issues

Anyone else notice that although their entertainment is good there was limited shows

less staff, i had to beg for a drink and when i wanted a water i got a not so nice face.

gym was nasty and did not have anyone supervising the nasty people who dont wipe down

lounge chair hogs in full force, and when attendent did remove towels cruisers yelled at him and he backed down

dining staff in anytime dining was not so friendly at all, guess i have to go back to traditional

list goes on and i hate to complain but after 13 princess cruises i definatly see slack.

i never ever complain and i probably wont this is my place to vent but when i tell you all the complaints from fellow cruisers i was just getting sick of hearing it. i tild one woman to go back to RCCL if she hated princess so much, omg she wouldnt shut up

We flew back today from our 10 days on the Emerald. Obviously everyone's experience is different, but my wife and I thought it was one of the best cruise we've taken

Being loyal to NCL, I wasn't too sure about this one. With all the criticisms I read here, I was actually pretty nervous. In the end, I can't think of a single problem we experienced that was significant enough to spoil things.

We took in some of the smaller shows in the Explorer's Lounge and enjoyed them well enough.

The staff were uniformly hard-working and pleasant. I am always in awe of their work ethic and the genuine desire they seem to have to help you out. I can't say a word against them or the service we received. I think the service we had in the anytime dining room was in direct proportion to how busy they were. When we ate early, we had a better time than when the waiters were busy trying to serve a full section. I can't criticize them for that.

Even so, I always found the wait staff friendly, as were all the others. Our cabin attendant Cristina could not have been more hard-working OR cheerful. Again, I don't know how they do it.

I could write pages about what I didn't like, but a lot of it would be about my fellow passengers. Nevertheless, I generally found most to be friendly and interesting.

My overall impression was extremely positive and I wouldn't hesitate to take another cruise on the Emerald.

I

Sometimes we all need to get things out, then breathe and relax:D

Many of the things you mentioned I have experienced on most of my vacations, even on my wonderful first Princess cruise. I am not the type to let what others do or say affect the vibe of my vacation or scold someone for not liking their vacation choice. As for defending, only that which I birth or marry. I respect others right to feel as they wish about Princess and the vacation they paid for. Many here will respect your right to share the fact this sailing was not up to your liking. In life, sometimes we win some or loose some. This was not a winner for you but clearly for someone else. I am glad you are feeling better, I hope because you placed this (:rolleyes:). Good luck on your next cruise and maybe after 13 it's time for a change.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Good or bad it can help others prepare and adjust expectations if necessary.

Ya'll are going to force me to sail on one of the mega monster ships just so I can see if we find the same things that have been reported lately. :D

Twist my arm, pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Hello-Kitty. After years of sailing on Princess, there have been times when a cruise (for whatever reason) just doesn't stack up to previous ones. I usually brush it off that it was the mood we were in, or other factors.

I am sure your next cruise will be delightful, hang in there. And sorry things were just a bit off for you on this one (for whatever reason), it can happen to any of us. :D

I heard so much complaining from other cruisers that is was just pissing me off.

I

could write pages about what I didn't like, but a lot of it would be about my fellow passengers. Nevertheless, I generally found most to be friendly and interesting.

Could this be the problem? The passengers? Sometimes complaining passengers bring down other passengers and the crew. Each cruise is different mostly because of the passenger mix and the crew who are on at the time. It's all about attitude.

We were on the Emerald for a 16 day TA and had a fantastic cruise with great service...the best out of 6 Princess cruises. All the passengers seemed to be having a great time too.

Ya'll are going to force me to sail on one of the mega monster ships just so I can see if we find the same things that have been reported lately. :D

Toto2kansas, if you cruise on the Emerald, it'll probably be a good one. Based on your postings, you have the right attitude!

I

Could this be the problem? The passengers? Sometimes complaining passengers bring down other passengers and the crew. Each cruise is different mostly because of the passenger mix and the crew who are on at the time. It's all about attitude.

I couldn't agree more. Sometimes it just seems like there are more than the usual complement of complainers, and they do tend to bring everyone else down with their bumptious complaints. But, to be fair, there has been a time or two where it seemed like the entire staff just couldn't prevent tripping over themselves and turning little problems into bigger ones.

Any of your complaints could be applied to just about any ship and any cruise line if you look at them hard enough but I will have to agree that the total entertainment budget has slacked off quite a bit.

Got off the Emerald on 3/20. We had a wonderful time as we usually do whether it's on a cruise or land vacation. You will always find things that bother you and could be better but I'd like to say that my DH and myself are glass half full people:)

I respect your opinion and like another poster said it could be time to switch for a while. What's the saying about "too much of a good thing"......

Sorry your cruise had some negatives. We were on the Emerald B2B in January, and actually, for the first time ever, rated it Excellent in every category on the survey from the first cruise. On the second, we did make note of the condition of the putt putt golf course, which was pretty bad.

Reflective thinking upon our return hasn't changed our impressions. Of course, we were viewing it in terms of other cruises we've taken, and other Princess cruises in particular. The new additions that appealed to us were the International Cafe, homestyle entrees and the tableside service in the Horizon Court/Cafe Caribe. Yes, there were lots of chair hogs, yes, the ship is very rough in any kind of winds/seas, yes, the seating in the Princess Theater is sad on several accounts, but overall we would do it again, today. However, saying that, on our Mariner OTS cruises in February, while we missed some things about the Emerald, we were thrilled with waitstaff that wasn't overextended and plentiful and comfortable seating for shows. We are left exactly where we started out the year, thinking that we would readily cruise either Princess or RC (or Celebrity) again in a heartbeat.

We were on the 3/20 sailing, as well, and all agreed it was the best cruise we've taken. We thought the entertainment was great. The service could not have been better, even when using the coke sticker! I'd hop on that ship again in a New York minute! But that was our experience. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and every experience is a bit different.

Were we on the same cruise ? We did not find everything to be perfect but overall this cruise met our expectations. Yes, there are chair hogs. I just removed towels after 30 minutes. There are cut backs everywhere in this economy and cruise lines are no exception. We just go with the flow and don't sweat the small stuff.

So nice to read all the comments and i am so happy that my fellow 3/30 mates enjoyed their cruise, and trust me i did, i think other complaining passengers just brought me down i was really tired of hearing it.

Me and my husband Never complain and go with the flow and always have a great time, nothing is PERFECT!! I loved that people complained about waiting on line for dinner, can u please tell me when you dont wait online?? Maybe in dreamland.

Is is very interesting to hear all views and all in all of course my cruise was awesome just a few things stuck out:rolleyes:

We just returned yesterday from the same cruise; and, we do not share your concerns. With the exception of the fact that the entertainment venue is too small, we do not have any significant negatives to report.

I wonder what was your room designation, since this might have some effect upon your experience. For example, I spoke with one fellow, who was booked in an inner cabin; and, he complained because he was not furnished 3 buckets of ice per day unless he called customer service for the second and third buckets. We also utilized anytime dining; and, we found that the employees were polite and efficient. We were booked in an AA; and, our steward, Ionel, was very polite and helpful.

Additionally, I conversed with about a hundred people vis-a-vis the attitude of the employees and auto tipping. Other than the ice bucket fellow, everyone was happy with the activities of the employees; and, with the exception of two persons everyone was happy with auto tipping.

Those two persons used the same euphemisms we have heard from a few people on these boards.

Sorry to hear your cruise was not up to par with other Princess cruises. I am glad that you still were able to enjoy it. I think some pax just like to complain about anything. I have had strangers approach me on some of my cruises and just start complaining about the weather, food, whatever. I remember one cruise where one women, who was very vocal, complaining because she didn't get enough lox with her bagel in the DR. :eek:

I have learned that whenever someone I have never met before starts complaining to me I just walk away. Not something I want to deal with on vacation. I love Princess and some cruises have been better than others but I don't expect a perfect experience each time.

We cruised Emerald for the 1st time from 3/20-3/30, our 5th Princess cruise, and found it to be just as good as the previous 4 cruises. Never had any problems with the staff or service at all. Food was good for the most part. And the entertainment was ok at best, but I guess you can't please all the people all the time. Overall, we were quite pleased! :)

Sorry to hear your cruise was not up to par with other Princess cruises. I am glad that you still were able to enjoy it. I think some pax just like to complain about anything. I have had strangers approach me on some of my cruises and just start complaining about the weather, food, whatever. I remember one cruise where one women, who was very vocal, complaining because she didn't get enough lox with her bagel in the DR. :eek:

I have learned that whenever someone I have never met before starts complaining to me I just walk away. Not something I want to deal with on vacation. I love Princess and some cruises have been better than others but I don't expect a perfect experience each time.

THANK YOU for saying exactly what i am thinking!!!!! We were on the Emerald in Nov over Thanksgiving and witnessed the same thing with constant complaining by passengers. My husband and I are low maintenance so not every little thing bothers us but many passengers complain about everything including things Princess has no control over, such as weather!!! I often wonder why these people just don't STAY HOME and quit making our cruise depressing!!!! A bad day on a cruise is always better than a good day at work.

TOO MANY PEOPLE.

It is just my opinion but it seems most of the complaints lately have been, not all but most, on the extra deck ships and the criticisms for the most part have been related to crowding. Shows, dinning, deck chairs, slow service to name a few. Then if you add 3rd and 4th births especially at spring break times it gets worse.

Our personal experience was on the CB when she was new and we did not know of the new configuration prior to boarding. We picked up on the added passengers right a way and then started asking questions to find out why. Well we now know and unless there is a super itinerary like New England we just don't bother.

I think we could handle sailing them but would have to figure a routine we could handle and we would do that. But as long as they have the Coral/Island, Sapphire/Diamond, Grand/Star/Golden, and the little ones we won't have to. Se still rated our CB cruise very good tho even with the hurricane.

Sad to see this thread.:(

Jack

for the little

We are booked on the Emerald, trans Atlantic, end of this month and these initial comments had us a bit concerned. However it's the end of the Caribbean season and monotony might be a factor. We certainly hope that is all it is. The repositioning of the ship might be the shot in the arm that this ship and its crew need. Five continuous days at sea without the daily upheaval of port arrivals and/or tendering and all that it entails might have a positive effect on everyone.

Hello-Kitty. After years of sailing on Princess, there have been times when a cruise (for whatever reason) just doesn't stack up to previous ones. I usually brush it off that it was the mood we were in, or other factors.

I am sure your next cruise will be delightful, hang in there. And sorry things were just a bit off for you on this one (for whatever reason), it can happen to any of us. :D

Isn't that the truth! After 15 cruises with Princess, a couple of times I've gotten off the ship and said "what the heck?". Sometimes things are just off. As another poster said, there is usually more wrong with the other passengers that the cruiseline itself.

I'll be on the Sapphire (again) in just over a week so I'll letcha know. :)

TOO MANY PEOPLE.

It is just my opinion but it seems most of the complaints lately have been, not all but most, on the extra deck ships and the criticisms for the most part have been related to crowding. Shows, dinning, deck chairs, slow service to name a few. Then if you add 3rd and 4th births especially at spring break times it gets worse.

Our personal experience was on the CB when she was new and we did not know of the new configuration prior to boarding. We picked up on the added passengers right a way and then started asking questions to find out why. Well we now know and unless there is a super itinerary like New England we just don't bother.

I think we could handle sailing them but would have to figure a routine we could handle and we would do that. But as long as they have the Coral/Island, Sapphire/Diamond, Grand/Star/Golden, and the little ones we won't have to. Se still rated our CB cruise very good tho even with the hurricane.

I've been on small ships, big ships, and the "mega" ships such as the CB, and IMHO, the impression of crowding has more to do with the CD, weather, itinerary and one's fellow passengers than anything else. I don't think it's just the number of people. Several years ago, we were on the CB over Christmas and you're not going to get many more passengers on a ship than during that time yet we never felt crowded or pushed around. The weather was good, the CD had planned quite a few activities and thus people were spread throughout the ship. On my Golden cruise a couple of years ago from Buenos Aires to Santiago, the weather was cold and no one could stay outside for more than a few minutes nor could you even use the covered pool area due to the wind and cold, so it was insanely crowded inside. The CD did not plan extra activities or enough activities so people were hanging out in Atrium or the buffet throughout the day and it was impossible to find a seat anywhere.

We were on the Emerald for 12 days last year and loved it. We did hear some complaining about the Horizon Court and Main Dinning rooms. Finally I asked one Lady if she was basing her complaint on her previous experiences eating at McDonald hamburger stand? Went right over her head, what a surprise.

So, here is my idea on how to reduce the ship board complaining. Give each passenger a physical exam before allowing them to board ship. Those with "Me First" stamped in Gold on their tail assembly will be rejected and not allowed to board.:D

Bob

Archived