CostaMarina Available ?

Kalos Orisate

What does it mean that the CostaMarina is "marketed exclusively for German passengers" and "dedicated entirely to the German market" - even when cruising in the Caribbean in winter ? If I requested a ticket (I'm in Canada), would I be refused (Verboten !), or quoted list price only ?

What does it mean that the CostaMarina is "marketed exclusively for German passengers" and "dedicated entirely to the German market" - even when cruising in the Caribbean in winter ? If I requested a ticket (I'm in Canada), would I be refused (Verboten !), or quoted list price only ?
In order to book her you'd have to go through Costa's German office or web site.

She operates as a German-market-specific product called "La Deutsche Vita" which means that you can only book her from Germany, Austria, or Switzerland, German only is spoken onboard, all food, entertainment, etc. is tailored for German tastes. I don't think they'd turn you away but they're not going to make any special accomodations on account of you not being German either.

I might suggest that you try COSTA ALLEGRA which is her sister ship, and which continues to be marketed internationally... Except that her winter Caribbean cruises are not marketed in North America as Costa do not consider her to be suitable for the North American market.. In the Caribbean that is - in summer when she's in Europe, apparently she's good enough for Americans and Canadians. I guess they think that North Americans in the Caribbean need balconies and atriums. (Actually, she has a small atrium and a few balconies but that's beside the point.)

ALLEGRA has significant improvements over MARINA: she was stretched during the conversion to a cruise ship, allowing for more public space (and a few more cabins) and also was given new engines. MARINA retains her original powerplant from 1969 when she was built as the container ship AXEL JOHNSON.

Archived