Feedback on My Time Family Dining on RCCL

mdepsmom

There have been lots of threads about the My Time Dining but not so much about the My Time Family Dining. We are sailing on the Mariner on 5/31 and have an early seating reservation, but I am wondering how the whole MTFD works and would love to hear feedback from those who have used it.

TIA!

We are also on the 5/31 Mariner sailing and are travelling with 2 small kids (2 & 4) as well as one set of grandparents.

I'd also love to get some feedback on family experiences with MTD. This is an option that I'm seriously considering but am a little nervous that we may need to wait for a table that will sit 6. Also, I'm afrai we'll miss having the same server each evening.

mdepsmom: How old are your kids?

We were on Navigator over spring break and did not do MTD, but we looked into it. There were tons of families on our ship, and it seemed that many of the families with young kids who had late seatings did the MTD so they could eat earlier. When we asked about it, they said that it would be difficult to get a reservation before 7:45 most nights because all the folks with kids would be angling for those slots.

But if you want to do it, sign up as soon as you get on the boat. The shut down sign ups at 3:30 for our 5:00pm departure.

tropiclvrs - we have one son, he is 6.

gt95stang - thanks for the feedback but we are talking about two different things. MTFD is different than MTD. MTFD is an abbreviated dinner for the kids (in the dining room), and adventure ocean club staff come to the dining room to pick up the kids while the parents enjoy a leisurely rest-of-the-meal.

Surely someone has used MTFD and can post feedback?

There have been lots of threads about the My Time Dining but not so much about the My Time Family Dining. We are sailing on the Mariner on 5/31 and have an early seating reservation, but I am wondering how the whole MTFD works and would love to hear feedback from those who have used it.

TIA!

Has that program actually started yet? I read the announcement about it not that long ago but wasn't sure when it actually starts...

Anyway, we are on the Independence on 1/9/10 and we want to take advantage of this if we can. Can't wait to hear about other's experience

Has that program actually started yet? I read the announcement about it not that long ago but wasn't sure when it actually starts...

Yes, it started at least a month ago. I cross-posted this same thread on the RCCL boards and someone responded that they used it on another RCCL ship last month. Here is the link to that thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=965416

We were lamenting the fact that AOS did not have it last week, but then I realized that 4 out of the seven nights would have not worked with MTFD - the first night there is no kids club, then there are the two formal nights and the pj party night. I don't think many people or kids would be interested in going to kids club wearing formalwear and I don't think the kids would be welcome in the dining room in their pj's - so they have to go back to the cabin first to change anyway.

The other three nights would have worked nicely though, except one of them, my kids went to Johnny Rockets with the kids club. So that left two nights where MTFD would have been valuable. In addition, some of the age groups have a pool party night or a night on the sports court - where the kids may need to change first as well.

In the end, we realized that it might not be all you think it will be.

Archived